Hm. Try as I might, I just can't convince myself that I like the glass surround of the box. I think the mechanical box adds some symmetry somehow-- gives the building "shoulders" in a way. Granted, they could make it look a little nicer, but I still prefer what they've done.

Great render job Traynor ... really helps to illustrate the potential that X Condo had ~ (thanks to Casaguy also for the photo)

And thanks to you Solaris for the compliment and also for the back to back comparison of the two pictures!

Cheers!

But his commercial towers - the TD Centre being the local example - have neither balconies nor coloured panels, so if you're basing your idea of "authenticity" on some sort of check list then the building is actually more of a tip of the hat to his residential towers with their rooftop mechanical elements.

I think it's a nod to both, though the office towers are what come most easily to mind.

Not all his residential towers have their rooftop mechanical elements so visible. But maybe we can also find fault with his residential towers for that. The classic high-rise aesthetic North Americans think of when it comes to Mies van der Rohe is his commercial tower aesthetic, like the T-D Centre. Those are his masterpieces that everyone loves, the 10/10. The others are truly exceptional Modernist projects as well, but perhaps not the pinnacle of his achievement.

With a defined mechanical floor, the tower would look more elegant from an abstract minimalist view. It would be closer to a pure rectangular prism.

Bad lighting, but a photo nonetheless:

4393811254_43522850f7.jpg

^Now that's funny. I can never figure out if Mike's photos are just taken at the wrong setting or if it's intentional.

Here's one from today.

DSCN5577.jpg

At least the mechanical box isn't as bad as what's on top of the Marriott at Yonge & Bloor.

DSCN5578.jpg

Maybe if X's box were a low as this one no one would really notice.

That was pretty funny.

I lived in the Plaza II apartments (above the Marriott hotel) through the 80's & 90's. I talked my way up to the roof one day with an employee there to see what it was like and it's not what I expected. There are one or two floors of mechanical above the top floor of apartments (the 38th floor) and if I recall the edge of the roof comes up to a little below my shoulders (I'm 5' 8") so as you suggest the mechanical room is not nearly as high as X's, however the Plaza II has 1 or 2 full floor mechanical rooms below the roof. It's still a shame that they didn't approach X's mechanical room properly, but at least it matches the building... bah, I've gone on enough about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't find the rooftop element to be disproportionate to the general heft of the tower, cladding it in black further ties it in, and it expresses a service core that actually exists - which is perfectly in line with the Modernist principles that Mies espoused.

I don't find the rooftop element to be disproportionate to the general heft of the tower, cladding it in black further ties it in, and it expresses a service core that actually exists - which is perfectly in line with the Modernist principles that Mies espoused.

I rarely disagree with you US but I take exception to what you state about the height of the rooftop element. I don't think it's proportionate to the size of the building, I really think it's too high. I wouldn't argue with you on your other points.

Anyway, back to some shots yesterday, from above.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Very cool - with no light on the unfinished balconies, X looks all but done...

And to add to DT's beautiful photos, here's one at sunrise

Thanks guys :)

To put things into perspective (for those unfamiliar with this area) casaguy's photo (below) was taken from Casa showing the west side of X. My photos two posts above this were taken at 235 Bloor E. where the red circle is, showing the north side of X.

Back