From the document it looks like the original podium design is confirmed, and it also looks like X2 will also feature the scattered spandrels done up in primary colours (was that already known? I'd been wondering for awhile)

For easy reference, from the Public Art Plan document above

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

No, I don't think it was known, as all of the renders we've seen so far did not show the primary colours being used. I'm happy to see it though! Also happy to see they're sticking with the original podium.

I'm actually interested to see what public art piece will go in. It's an interesting challenge - make a piece that compliments X, X2 and the Shayne Dark piece.

from today's Daily Commercial News.......

CONDOMINIUM BUILDING, RETAIL Proj: 9094228-6
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE
X2 Condo, 580 Jarvis St, Charles St E, M4Y 2H9

$60,000,000 est

Start: March, 2011 Complete: February, 2013

Note: Demolition of existing buildings is underway. Shoring and excavation are anticipated Fall, 2010. Const Mgr expects Structural Construction will proceed Spring, 2011 based on sales and completion of Phase One report number 1323789. Further update early 2011.
Fluent Engineering Inc is the LEED Consultant.
The name of the project has been corrected.

Project: concrete foundation, structural steel frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed environmentally friendly construction of a condominium building containing 552 units, the project will include construction of a six-storey podium. Approximately 11,200 sq ft of retail space will be provided in a six at grade level units. This will be a 49-storey structure with 6-storeys of below grade parking. The project will include demolition of the existing office building on site. This project will target LEED NC-1.0 Certification.
Scope: 49,000 m²; 49 storeys; 6 storeys below grade; 552 units; parking for 373 cars; 1 acres

Development: Alterations
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Recreational bldgs

4901274710_98c646442f_b.jpg

4900688995_ecfc60c61c_b.jpg

Demolition of 101 Charles East as of August 16, 2010.

Last edited:
The above rendering indicates "SIGNAGE" on the X2 podium. Will there be retail along Jarvis?

I still think it's odd that they chose Wallman Architects to create X2, when ArchitectsAlliance did X. I know that these architects were previously working as one firm, but even the utmost cooperation would yield different results. I'm simply interested in what incentives there would be for Great Gulf to hire Wallman for phase II. Anyone?

I too am curious about a retail component to this property, i think it would be nice if there was a cafe or something to animate this stretch of Jarvis street, perhaps with outdoor seating.

The above rendering indicates "SIGNAGE" on the X2 podium. Will there be retail along Jarvis?

I still think it's odd that they chose Wallman Architects to create X2, when ArchitectsAlliance did X. I know that these architects were previously working as one firm, but even the utmost cooperation would yield different results. I'm simply interested in what incentives there would be for Great Gulf to hire Wallman for phase II. Anyone?

There are many reasons to not use the same firm twice; budget, bad experience the first time around, staffing, schedule and resource conflict Perhaps, simply, the intent was to yield different results. Ride on the coat tails of the brand created for X but get a different building. I prefer it this way anyhow, generally speaking I like to see variety in the skyline.

Structural steel frame????

Whoops, back on August 10, I forgot to include "posted with the usual caveat".........unlikely that it is structural steel frame.....

Ugh DCN. Just don't even bother wasting your time or anyone elses by posting anything from them.

Back