That's fine, so long as those same people aren't regularly shopping at those corporate chains. I'd be very interested to see how often those who decry, for example, a Starbucks going into a new retail space are themselves patronizing Starbucks.

If locals want to have adorable little indie shops and the like move in, they ready be willing to actually go in there and lay down their hard-earned cash on a recurring basis. Otherwise the whole thing's just a cartoonish facade.

I agree. I've been amazed at how people will protest a Walmart getting built in their town, yet it ends up being profitable anyway. A big chain store can't kill a mom-and-pop shop unless consumers make that choice.

I agree. I've been amazed at how people will protest a Walmart getting built in their town, yet it ends up being profitable anyway. A big chain store can't kill a mom-and-pop shop unless consumers make that choice.

That's why we have legislation in place - because it saves us from the decisions we know we will make.

That doesn't make the individual a bad person or someone with bad intentions. It simply highlights a systemic issue and the will to change it for the better.

That's why we have legislation in place - because it saves us from the decisions we know we will make.

That doesn't make the individual a bad person or someone with bad intentions. It simply highlights a systemic issue and the will to change it for the better.

Wow, please tell me you don't mean that.

Really? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with such a high degree of social engineering. I'm left wing, but even I don't want some egg-head in City Hall or Queen's Park deciding what kind of coffee I should drink, or what sandwhich shop I have to eat at. When we start insisting that the government micromanage people's shopping preferences, I think we've gone just a tad too far. I mean, who's to be the arbiter of what constitutes appropriate retailers? On what basis do you ultimately differentiate between a Starbucks, an Aroma, a Balzac's and an independent? Such a system would be arbitrary and capricious, contrary to basic fairness, and open to all kinds of corruption. No thanks.

It's a call for dictatorship. I'm incapable of wanting the right things so I need a dictator to tell me what I'm allowed to want and have. It's parental. It's the root of many evils. I'm an adult and I'm a free man--I will decide which store gets my business because only I know how to make the right decision for me.

I'm not sure how regulating a mix of retail unit types, sizes, and rent brackets constitutes a dictatorship or equates to choosing particular brands for the public to consume. Each to their own!

EDIT: I'd like to suggest that allowing the market to ""choose"" our retail choices (read: developers and price brackets dictating which retailers can afford a space) is its own form of dictation to the public's tastes.

Anyways, the mods are going to tell us we are getting off-topic.

Last edited:
It's not about the mom and pops. It's about having some diversity among the major retailers. I'm OK with a starbucks. But instead of Subway, why not something similar? I hate seeing the same bank, dry cleaner, subway.

I live in this area, and was really hoping for a grocery store. Since they closed No Frills its been slim pickings. Loblaws is a little far, food basics is a nightmare, and Longos is the size of a walk in closet. Myself like most others have been going to shoppers and rabba. I like Shoppers just fine but there are 2 quite close to X2, one on Sherbourne and another on Yonge. So I'm surprised they would add a third, all 2 blocks away from each other.

I know it's a bit of a hike, but you have a giant Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Well that's good news, and yes the Loblaws is pretty nice I'm not complaining. I am still a bit surprised with all the Shoppers though.

mxKM3l5.jpg

As far as I know? I assume it just takes a while to convert a thrift store into a supermarket. But I have no inside knowledge one way or the other.

That's funny... because it originally took quite some time to convert that exact same space from a grocery store (Dominion) into a thrift store.

Back