Best when you can’t see it in detail.

AA41E42E-F375-46AE-8E65-832AA1719917.jpeg

Attachments

• AA41E42E-F375-46AE-8E65-832AA1719917.jpeg
    AA41E42E-F375-46AE-8E65-832AA1719917.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 489
Honestly it's not THAT bad. The podium is a complete mess but at least that big patch of window wall along college will be covered one day...

Honestly it's not THAT bad. The podium is a complete mess but at least that big patch of window wall along college will be covered one day...

And I quote @CanadianNational from 2011 in this very thread (Page 12):

The 5 stages of architectural mania:

1 - City Announcement: "Found this - now this looks promising."
2 - Elevation Drawing: "Uh-oh. I don't know about this one."
3 - Rendering: "Looks good! Even the box/precast positively glows"
4 - Construction: "Why is this taking so long? This is ridiculous. Is that the final cladding?"
5 - Finished Product: "(sigh) Well, not bad, but it could be better. I need a drink."

I'd say this is a Stage 5.

AoD

We have a tendency of judging buildings while they are still under construction on here.

While that south-facing wall is atrocious by every definition of the word, the balcony glass was always going to make or break this project and that was evident from day 1 of the rendering.

We have a tendency of judging buildings while they are still under construction on here.
While that south-facing wall is atrocious by every definition of the word, the balcony glass was always going to make or break this project and that was evident from day 1 of the rendering.

We do - it isn't hard to tell this building will not be great - or even good.

AoD

It seems more visually interesting than Karma next door.

Are you including at ground level as well? Karma ground level blows this entire project's existence out of the water. I can get why some may say Karma is "boring" but it's well done. I can't say the same for this junk.

Karma is a good 'background' building that knows its place in the landscape of the city and defers to its non-residential neighbours in the area for architectural interest. aA is capable of doing great buildings, and sometimes I feel that it's a shame that they are mostly as quiet as they are. On the other hand, this is what aA buildings do so well and so respectfully, and they reduce the clutter of the city. There is a grace in being someone who is dignified and doesn't possess a strong ego or continually shout for attention.

YC is a building that insists on being one of those buildings that buildings like Karma defer to. Unfortunately, it doesn't have what it takes and simply makes an embarrassment of itself. If it knew better, it would be a fabric building but instead it screams attention to its clumsy podium design and its expanses of spandrel panels and other crappy finishes. Graziani+Corazza have demonstrated time and time again that they have a poor grasp on scale, proportion, massing, context, and sensitivity to materials. They insist on creating buildings that stand out or at least are certainly not quiet, and they visually compete with far more successful buildings, creating unwanted visual clutter.

TL;DR In the majority of cases, condo projects do not have the budget for good architecture. A self-aware condo project realizes this and does its best to keep a low profile and defer to its surroundings or to cultural, institutional, and office projects that have higher budgets and better design or materials. At the very least, a self-aware condo will defer to the higher-budget or better executed condo projects in its direct vicinity, as a gesture for the city around it. The YC Condos does not have this self-awareness.

I've noticed every time a podium doesn't make the grade the whole building loses merits because of it ! I guess they're trying to create something with an open concept look that invites the public in. But I've noticed most of us readers hate it including me! I personally like strong bold looking podium that have a sense of presence. Not something that looks like it's going to collapse under the weight of the top floors above it!

Are you including at ground level as well? Karma ground level blows this entire project's existence out of the water. I can get why some may say Karma is "boring" but it's well done. I can't say the same for this junk.

No, only the building.

Karma to me is indeed very boring, it's a basic glass box, a filler building.

The building is a junker but I love the added density at this intersection. Even before YC and Karma this intersection had a big city feel. Now it's especially pronounced.

I actually don't mind this building. The different tones and non-conforming structure gives in some texture and interest.

Back