I am beginning to think the end is near for all glass cladding as a trend in Toronto. Why? RioCan is very conservative, and probably one of those companies that catches on to trends very slowly. (Look at their Loblaws/Queen and Portland development for example, coming to market a full decade after similar mixed-use developments hit Portland, Oregon or Vancouver.

The next trend: 60 Richmond St E and perhaps, S+P's mix of glass and panels at River City.

I've never met a REIT that isn't. However, Riocan can greatly influence the direction of architecture in the city and Canada now that they are diversifying their holdings with residential and office intensification.

P.S. pretty sure the projects you talk about are Riocan too.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 474
As someone who's lived at Y&E for the past 10 years, I've been concerned about what may be done with this open space, but am warming up to their ideas since seeing these models.

I was worried that they'd completely fill the square with a tall tower from sidewalk to sidewalk.

What these models show is that there is a potential to have a best of both worlds scenario... increase the retail and public use of the square. The truth is the current square is under used. I always walk through it and think to myself how drab and empty of life it is in what is a very vibrant intersection. It's really a glorified walkway.

I like how the new building is top to bottom glass and lets the outside in. I also think that the combination of the remaining open ground and the rooftop will make for more of a neighbourhood outdoor space than it is today.

Wow, it looks like they plan on making this a very active plaza. Looks great! Love the podium and lobby.

I live in the 'hood and yes the square in its present form is simply a waste of space (and actually subtracts from the urban feel of the area). The actual corner near Yonge and Eglinton is also a mess, with an ugly electonic sign, and a confusing TTC entrance. It would be a blessing if the space was reconfigured.

The plan though lacks a decent face for Eglinton (in fact, it provides nothing more than a lot of blank walls). Street facing retail would do wonders (but the focus appears to be to draw people into the indoor mall). With development pending for the south side of Eglinton, its important that the north side presents more than just a blank face.

I live in the 'hood and yes the square in its present form is simply a waste of space (and actually subtracts from the urban feel of the area). The actual corner near Yonge and Eglinton is also a mess, with an ugly electonic sign, and a confusing TTC entrance. It would be a blessing if the space was reconfigured.

The plan though lacks a decent face for Eglinton (in fact, it provides nothing more than a lot of blank walls). Street facing retail would do wonders (but the focus appears to be to draw people into the indoor mall). With development pending for the south side of Eglinton, its important that the north side presents more than just a blank face.

There appears to be an Eglinton entrance on the West side (under the stubby tower) in the model. They wouldn't have just one entrance.

I'm actually surprised at this proposal. Though I do lament the continued loss of office space from the intersection, they have done quite a good job with this building. YEC has been needing an extensive reno; aside from the HMV and Indigo most of the tenants are poor, and the SilverCity has poor screens for blockbuster movies.

thanks for the pics gregv ... saves me a trip down to Yonge-Eglinton Centre~

I'm quite excited to see this corner better utilized as per the proposal being a having formerly worked in this area ~ the proposed retail podium seem to echo/mirror quite well with Canada Square's glass atrium across the street

wait..let me get this straight. So are they adding floors to an existing building while already recladding????? now that i've never heard of before.....:confused:

I've never met a REIT that isn't. However, Riocan can greatly influence the direction of architecture in the city and Canada now that they are diversifying their holdings with residential and office intensification.

P.S. pretty sure the projects you talk about are Riocan too.

River City is being built by Urban Capital. It's not the sort of project that Riocan would do.

^was refering to the big box retail with residential above in Vancity

wait..let me get this straight. So are they adding floors to an existing building while already recladding????? now that i've never heard of before.....:confused:

It makes sense to match the addition's cladding with the new cladding for the rest of it. It would be worse if they just added they part with cladding noticeably different and not particularly more inspiring than the older part.

Back