It makes sense as a Phase 1. But York Region is opposed to this, knowing that phase 2 could be deferred indefinitely.

Phase 2?

We have to remember that YRT/Viva induces demand by funneling all routes to Yonge, and therefore Viva Blue and Finch Station. This also has to do with how the TTC also has induced demand with Line 1 being the only North-South subway (rapid transit) line. Also, these ridership numbers do not take into account RER or region-wide Fare Integration, so the increase of riders on Barrie and Stouffville lines are not taken into account.

I'm not against the YNSE, nor am I trying to say that it's not justified, but I just want to point out that our transit system is too focused on Yonge being the "main" N-S "rapid" transit connection and RER will be a big part of changing that, as well as proper rapid transit on Jane and Don Mills/Leslie.

Once the first leg of the DRL is built, I hope that they add to it constantly. Phase 1 should bring both legs to Bloor, Phase 2 to EC, and Phase 3 should be Sheppard/YYZ.. Maybe Phase 4 should go to Unionville Go and into Brampton.

As I see it, the TBMs don't stop. Once they get to each phase, they put the infrastructure in and open it as soon as possible.

As I see it, the TBMs don't stop. Once they get to each phase, they put the infrastructure in and open it as soon as possible.
This sounds like a good idea, as in a few years, TBMs will finally beat snails in a race. However, I can see the TBMs “break down” once they past Steeles and no funding to “fix” them.

2031 may as well be Day 1, given how much we've pushed back both YNSE and the Relief Line. (and, I suppose, SSE)

Again, I don't know what you are talking about when it comes to ridership numbers. These are not (a potentially biased?) York Region's numbers, they are Metrolinx. Let us forget absolutely about the Yonge North Subway studies and just look at surface route ridership:
  • TTC - Steeles East - 28,300
  • TTC - Steeles West - 26,700
  • TTC - Yonge North - 4,500
  • TTC - Cummer - 8,700
  • TTC - Drewry - 3,500
  • VIVA - Yonge Blue - 18,955
  • VIVA - HWY-7 Purple - 9,060
That totals to 91,015 daily riders in 2015 ridership numbers.

The 2031 Relief Line for comparison, is set to have 177,100 daily riders, and that is an entirely new line.
The 2031 Scarborough Subway, is set to have 31,000 daily riders.

As an aside, I find it dubious that for this expansion and this expansion alone, numbers were inflated and not deflated, when the one thing preventing YNSE from being built is its high ridership.

One small but notable correction: Scarborough Subway is set to have 31,000 boardings at STC, that means about twice as many daily riders, 62,000.

No doubt the Yonge North corridor will attract high ridership; likely substantially more than 91,000 daily as the subway will induce more demand.

One sRmall but notable correction: Scarborough Subway is set to have 31,000 boardings at STC, that means about twice as many daily riders, 62,000.

No doubt the Yonge North corridor will attract high ridership; likely substantially more than 91,000 daily as the subway will induce more demand.
I looked it up. It says All Day Boardings.

The two relevant sections:

Scarborough Subway:

Scarborough_Ridership.png

Relief Line:

RL_Ridership_BCA.png

That is for the RL from Pape to Queen. RL-North to Sheppard, would have 304,000-314,000 all-day boardings.

Attachments

• RL_Ridership_BCA.png
    RL_Ridership_BCA.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 313
  • Scarborough_Ridership.png
    Scarborough_Ridership.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 406
Of course it has more - it has way more stations. Per station the RL averages 22,000 daily boardings, compared to STC's 31,000.

On a "value per passenger" basis, Scarborough is more expensive. $3.35 / 62,000 is $54,000 per passenger. DRL at $6.00 / 177,000 is $33,000 a passenger.

Compare with the Eglinton Crosstown, $5.40 / ~150,000 = $36,000 / passenger. Or Finch, $1.0 / ~50,000 = $20,000 / passenger.

Scarborough is on the expensive end, but its not outrageous.

I looked it up. It says All Day Boardings.

The two relevant sections:

Scarborough Subway:

View attachment 126661

I think the wording makes it pretty clear that they estimated all day boarding at Scarborough Centre station. Thus, riders who travel opposite way and alight at Scarborough Centre station aren't included in the 31,000 number. In order to compare apples to apples, 31,000 has to be doubled.

For the Relief line, all day boardings are equal to daily ridership, as every Relief line rider will board at one Relief line station or another.

I think the wording makes it pretty clear that they estimated all day boarding at Scarborough Centre station. Thus, riders who travel opposite way and alight at Scarborough Centre station aren't included in the 31,000 number. In order to compare apples to apples, 31,000 has to be doubled.

For the Relief line, all day boardings are equal to daily ridership, as every Relief line rider will board at one Relief line station or another.

Thanks for the explanation. Was trying to get my head around the concept.

So, now that the TYSSE has been completed, what will happen?
Nothing so far. The design to 30% is still on-going and construction is not funded yet. We'll just have to wait for the Provincial Election for more information. The chance of something being announced prior to it is low.

This is a cute map from here:
Union to RHC.PNG

Extending the Yonge subway to the Richmond Hill/Langstaff location, provides an important intermodal opportunity through connection to the Richmond Hill GO rail line. With anticipated advancements in fare integration, riders at Richmond Hill/Langstaff destined to downtown Toronto will be able to choose from a 3-stop, 40 minute GO-rail trip or a 21-stop, 55 minute subway ride. The subway extension will provide better service to and from mid-town Toronto areas of St. Clair, Eglinton and Sheppard.

Attachments

• Union to RHC.PNG
    Union to RHC.PNG
    235.7 KB · Views: 875

Back