Joy, more insults. I suppose this is my cue to call you a Subway luvr who likes to draw lines all over the map saying lets put subways here and damn the costs!

The way this city is growing, we're going to wake up one day and say the just that - damn the costs, we need more than 68km of subway. The sooner we come to that realization, the better. And the less it will cost to build.

This thread is getting ridiculous. We're past the point of selecting which subway lines get built first. Fact of the matter is we needed all of them yesterday. Toronto would do quite well with about 150km of subway, and it's a terrible shame that $10B of easy government money will go toward streetcar construction instead. Spent wisely, it could have doubled the length of subway within 10 years.

To put it bluntly no. You yourself commented that the apartments in the park along Steeles and Islington, Kipling, and Martin Grove aren't exactly transit supportive. If we build density and the majority of the people are still using their cars all we've done is make the congestion worse. Do you not agree?
You can't try to relate that to what we have today. Right now, Toronto's basically like any other American City. Our rapid transit consists of two and a half subways outside the downtown core, to serve a population of over 5 million.

And if you're using Sheppard as an example, the subway's been around for just 7 years, and consists of 5 stations. Yet it's ridership is continuing to grow, as people, neighborhoods and developments orient themselves more toward transit. But for Transit to be viable, there needs to be a path from start to finish. You can't plop down a subway with just one real connection and suddenly expect people to take transit everywhere!

So now you're arguing that VCC at full built out form would be adequately serviced by busses?????:confused: Yet you still think that a subway is a must?!?!?! You've just proved my point that the VCC and RHC plans exist soley to give legitimacy to the subway extensions. Way to discover sustainable development York
Waitwaitwait, did you just say that VCC and RHC only exist so York would get a subway?!! That's a pretty absurd idea.

With that said. Eventually there will be a need for a subway to VCC and RHC but there is also a need now and in the future for improved regional rail. We should have worked on the improved regional rail first.
So we should improve just one mode of transportation, so that when it becomes crowded and congested we can finally start building another? VCC can't be effectively serviced by Go in the same way as a subway. Other areas in Vaughn would be perfect for all-day Go service, but frankly it would cost much more and be much less effective for Go to provide rail service to VCC.

In terms of the Richmond Hill extension, the subway will actually act as a local line there. It won't be used to funnel people down to Downtown any more than the Subway and Viva Blue are right now. But it will be a massive asset to people in Thornhill and North York getting to RHC, and people in RHC and Thornhill getting to North York.

The way this city is growing, we're going to wake up one day and say the just that - damn the costs, we need more than 68km of subway. The sooner we come to that realization, the better. And the less it will cost to build.

This thread is getting ridiculous. We're past the point of selecting which subway lines get built first. Fact of the matter is we needed all of them yesterday. Toronto would do quite well with about 150km of subway, and it's a terrible shame that $10B of easy government money will go toward streetcar construction instead. Spent wisely, it could have doubled the length of subway within 10 years.
I agree, this is getting quite ridiculous.

But quite simply, we've missed out on about 30 years of proper transit expansion. Transit City should be making up for those 30 years, with the subways, LRTs and better bus service that the City needs. We can't do all that in 10 years, but we can't afford to let what we have now go to waste on a half-assed scheme simply to improve popularity and get a shot at another term as mayor.

I personally think the GTA would do well to have a good 200 km of subway, as well as true regional rail service and at least a dozen of BRTs and LRTs.

It's the internet, of course it's ridiculous...wouldn't have it any other way!

So your saying that the VCC and RHC subway extension ridership projection were inflated to support a subway and yet still don't reach subway levels? Do you understand what you are saying?

"Your saying"? I'm saying the numbers could be low. There's no such thing as 'subway level'...it's a moving target created to oppose subway construction and justify political pet projects like the SRT extension or Transit City. Whatever the level of the week is, it does not apply to a subway extension.

And as I've said before, I would have preferred if GO were looked at as a (or part of) solution rather than focussing on subways. But York wanted a subway and that's the direction that they skewed the numbers towards.

Skewed the numbers? As if the parade of buses along Yonge, the existing population and the plethora of developments on the way were figments of York's imagination. GO cannot serve the Yonge corridor north of Finch and can only serve some of the trips from Richmond Hill. GO is not at all a substitute for the Yonge extension. GO can't replace the Spadina extension, either. Yet, GO *is* being improved even as the subway projects continue and YRT works to improve Viva and mull over other bus and LRT projects. York Region is focusing on subways? What a silly comment. All there is is two very short subway extensions, piggybacking on extensions that need to be done. GO is a provincial service, by the way, centred on Union...York Region can't just finagle improved GO service out of thin air without regard to the 416, the province, the limited GO trackage, etc.

Point taken here. Though there will still be the VIVA Blue, 99 and other routes that will approach RHC from the North along Yonge.

Viva is express, the 99 is local - they don't provide the same service. "Other routes" are unknown but they won't be overlapping for more than a block, won't duplicate service, and probably won't use as many buses combined as just one of the Steeles routes. There's no comparison with the overlapping service approaching Finch, or even approaching Eglinton or Kennedy or Kipling.

To put it bluntly no. You yourself commented that the apartments in the park along Steeles and Islington, Kipling, and Martin Grove aren't exactly transit supportive. If we build density and the majority of the people are still using their cars all we've done is make the congestion worse. Do you not agree?

Of course I don't agree. There isn't a neighbourhood in the city where a majority of people take transit. What do you expect us to do, just give up because we're unable to divert 100% of trips away from cars? TOD is mostly a lot of BS, by the way, certainly in the Toronto context. People will use transit if they need to or if the transit itself is worth taking. It's not like people in new developments along Sheppard have to squeeze through a hole cut in a fence to access a station, or walk for 10 minutes through an unploughed big box parking lot, or cut through backyards to save 15 minutes of walking around culs-de-sac. Apartments at Kipling & Steeles *are* transit supportive, but there's so few apartments and nothing else around the area that good transit is unsustainable. Sheppard would be seeing more projects lining Sheppard itself or on top of stations if the city's Avenues policy wasn't so counterproductive here. A site one block from the subway will be more oriented to transit than a site two blocks away, but if the site two blocks away is the one getting developed, what are you gonna do? If anything, the fact that some prime sites still exist adjacent to and above many of our subway stations is a good thing because there's still a chance they'll see retail/employment uses and not just the standard 30 storey condo.

Wow you didn't pick up on the fact that I was being ironic here? Read what I was responding to (insults).

I wasn't being ironic when I paraphrased your sentiments about subway extensions to York.

If you essentially agreed with my point then why argue it?

I don't agree with your point, I was pointing out how silly and hypocritical it is. No one has ever said that the subway extension will be used mostly by walk-ins and not drivers or bus riders...hence the massive bus terminals and parking lots. Sure, you can naively believe that subways are only for "urban" places where everyone walks to the station, but this is not even the case in the 416. Criticizing the extensions because most people will take cars or buses to the station and then suggesting they should be on GO instead, where they'll be even more dependent on using cars to get to the station, is completely ridiculous. It also neglects the fact that transit's share will rise over time.

So now you're arguing that VCC at full built out form would be adequately serviced by busses?????:confused: Yet you still think that a subway is a must?!?!?! You've just proved my point that the VCC and RHC plans exist soley to give legitimacy to the subway extensions. Way to discover sustainable development York.

Yikes, spend the time reading instead of spamming question marks. You were talking about an LRT up Jane. Some of the developments in York will happen whether or not the subway is extended. Richmond Hill will soon run out of land. The greenbelt and the province are working towards reducing sprawl. People are slowly readjusting to multi-unit homes. Vaughan has already built a dense suburban area in Thornhill. Richmond Hill has been intensifying Yonge for years. Etc., etc.

You've missed my point. It's not that because there is the Steeles west plan that we shouldn't be expanding to VCC it is that you said that Steeles west is a wasteland while VCC is a mecca of urbanity. Both are empty fields, parking lots and giant warehouses right now. I'll believe both developments when I see them. You just like the VCC plan because,
a: it supports your support for the Spadina extension. and
b: it actually has a name VCC and has been marketed to people as going to be this magnificent mini downtown.

You were the one that offered me the choice between the VCC and "a field with a UPS Depot". I'm pointing out that currently there is a CAT dealership on the site of the planned VCC. Either compare planned futures or present you can't say "well VCC will be amazingly urban (in a few decades), but Steeles west is a wasteland" If the subway has the ability to affect change at hwy it has the same ability to affect change at Steeles west.

And FWIW yes I am aware that CAT is planning on leaving in a few years.

I did not use the word urban at all, and you're conveniently ignoring the fact that most riders will not be walk-ins. Both areas are currently wastelands but VCC is slated to be larger, with more jobs (and jobs are much better than condos at generating transit rides). But, again, forget the developments: the lack of good connections to the 407, Hwy 7, and Viva are what make Steeles a useless terminus when good connections can be built at the next and final stations north of Steeles.

With that said. Eventually there will be a need for a subway to VCC and RHC but there is also a need now and in the future for improved regional rail. We should have worked on the improved regional rail first.

Well, too bad. They're both getting built and they both need to be built (edit - and by both I mean the subway extensions and the improved GO). York Region is just going to have to put up with subway extensions, vastly improved GO service and regional rail, and all kinds of local service like LRT and better bus routes. Poor York Region!

Last edited:
It's funny - I was away on Aug 10 when the report was released.

I didn't notice anything had changed cuz it's the same old 416 vs 905 discussion on the last 10 pages or so :)

A more important question would be why they did not take into account future REX GO service, just 30 minute service if I'm not mistaken

Very narrow thinking and view. It was BRT or Subway from day one as they knew the subway would be lost if LRT was on the table.

The current EA is so narrow in scoop now that it cannot look outside the box or how it will fit into the big picture.

The York folks are car folks so they didn't want anything taking away lanes since York believes in 6 car lanes where TO is mostly 4 lanes. Why is HWY 7 going to be 10 lanes for BRT?

Very narrow thinking and view. It was BRT or Subway from day one as they knew the subway would be lost if LRT was on the table.
If they chose BRT, it could be upgraded to LRT as soon as demand is reached, which could be starting at day 1. LRT is seriously overrated in this city, I don't get it!

The York folks are car folks so they didn't want anything taking away lanes since York believes in 6 car lanes where TO is mostly 4 lanes. Why is HWY 7 going to be 10 lanes for BRT?
As if the Toronto suburbs are so much better than York.

And if you want a reason why Highway 7 is going to be 10 lane, you can blame that on Mike Harris. I know a lot of people that'll stay on Highway 7 for even 10 kilometers just to avoid the ludicrous tolls on the 407. If those tolls didn't exist, I'm sure Highway 7 would be 6 lanes.

highway 7 use to be a racetrack between Keele and Lesile and now its really been slowed down by traffic lights

I personally think the GTA would do well to have a good 200 km of subway, as well as true regional rail service and at least a dozen of BRTs and LRTs.

200 km of subway??? Wow, if only we had about 8 million people like New York City! With 2.5 million people in Toronto, I'd imagine those lines would be fiscal sinkholes for a few decades. I do however agree with the need for a regional rail system, its time has arrived a while ago.

A thought regarding light rail: the LRT lanes for the TC lines may do well with higher speed limits than for the adjacent vehicular lanes - maybe 80 kmh for LRT lanes, 60 kmh for adjacent lanes?

200 km of subway??? Wow, if only we had about 8 million people like New York City! With 2.5 million people in Toronto, I'd imagine those lines would be fiscal sinkholes for a few decades. I do however agree with the need for a regional rail system, its time has arrived a while ago.
If you just gradually ease them in, I could see a number of corridors that could make a lot of sense as subway. I haven't meticulously measured it out (yet,) but there's a lot of routes that I think would work very well.

Huronatio, starting at Port Credit to Eglinton.
Dundas as an extension of the B-D subway to Mavis Road.
Highway 7 after a decade or two of Viva and after VCC, RHC and MTC get built.

Those are the 905 subways, but there's also Eglinton, Sheppard (Downsview-STC,) DRL up to Don Mills, the B-D to STC, Spadina and Yonge, etc. that I believe could all amount to 200 km. And with the GTA's population increasing in leaps and bounds, I think somewhere around 200 km of subway by 2035 or something could easily be justified.

A thought regarding light rail: the LRT lanes for the TC lines may do well with higher speed limits than for the adjacent vehicular lanes - maybe 80 kmh for LRT lanes, 60 kmh for adjacent lanes?
The problem is then it becomes a danger to pedestrians at that point. If the speed limit on Sheppard is 60, I think it'd be crazy to put LRT vehicles up to 80 km/h. That's a big addition to the speed, and while it looks good on paper, I think it could be very dangerous in real life.

To put it bluntly, this LRT isn't supposed to be speedy! This style was designed to be an improvement to bus service. You get a bus line that's reached capacity or that needs a bit of a higher speed, you build a LRT on it. It's not supposed to be a rapid transit, it's supposed to be a slight improvement to bus service. Could people please accept that fact and stop trying to make compromises?!

Tolls

PIE!

LOL

First Detroit, now tolls........ you're on a streak today!

And you have such a sensible track record.....

:p

Tolls are a fine idea. Nothing wrong with them at all. Part of transportation planning is demand-management.

In other words discourage people from travelling willy nilly all the time as far as they want for no good reason.

It costs us all environmentally, and financially to build all the extra infrastructure.

The mistake wasn't tolling 407, it was building it!

The lands 407 now occupies,.....were set aside by the Gov't of Bill Davis in the 1970's as a GREENBELT around Toronto, an anti-sprawl line.

First, a hydro corridor went through it, then the highway.....and low and behold sprawl followed suit!

You may or may not be old enough to remember.....but I'm only in my 30's....and I remember going to daycamps just north of #7.....on McCowan.....and it was all farmland ....

Damn good farmland.

Now its a waste of crappy cookie-cutter homes, on cul de sacs that are not pedestrian or transit-friendly, and the good farmland is lost.

That said...

If one must build the Hwy it certainly should be tolled. Why in God's name should the highway be free to use, when the subway is tolled? That is after all what a token is!

My only objection is that every 400-series highway isn't tolled. It would make wonderously good sense.....and while we're at it....the DVP and the Gardiner too!

And the nice people of Markham, can lose a few pounds....by walking! :D

Back