That's pretty funny. Apparently, all due respect, some people have no sense of commuting patterns and, in general, how human beings go back and forth regardless of where some dude wants to draw some line.

Most large cities have regional transit authorities - I 'm thinking of the Bay Area Rapid Transit or MTA in New York - and they oversee a variety of modes of transport. I think anyone in New York, for example, would find it laughable to think that a separate organization should be overseeing transportation to/from Long Island just because it's a bit past the city boundary.

You can't wall off Toronto and pretend tourists, commuters, industry and, EVERYONE, goes back and forth all the time. The current system, where a double fare magically appears at Steeles and other borders is riddiculous and it's the TTC's refusal to acknowledge how many of their customers come from outside 416 that has driven its shortsightedness.

Basically, you've got it all backwards.
Anyway...that's my rant.

Almost perfect example. When I was in New York, I unknowingly stepped into a PATH station in Greenwich Village only to find that my metrocard curiously didn't swipe. I guess that's fair given that PATH is operated by a different state, rather than just a different municipality.

Dundas is a logical route for a Mississauga Subway. But the funny thing is that Hurontario has higher ridership, so shouldn't Hurontario get a subway first?

Perhaps Hurontario is the only route in Mississauga that should get a subway? It is the busiest, and there are no parallel GO lines.

Subway backbone along Hurontario, plus several E-W LRT lines that intercept the subway, plus GO REX on the Lakeshore W and Milton lines. No need in Bloor subway extension?

Perhaps Hurontario is the only route in Mississauga that should get a subway? It is the busiest, and there are no parallel GO lines.

Subway backbone along Hurontario, plus several E-W LRT lines that intercept the subway, plus GO REX on the Lakeshore W and Milton lines. No need in Bloor subway extension?

Yes, technically MT could get their own subway line that serves Hurontario. Then they could have LRT on Burnhamthorpe, and Dundas and Eglinton.

If only the GO stations have a more direct connection with the local transit, inside of long walks through parking lots.

If only the GO stations have a more direct connection with the local transit, inside of long walks through parking lots.
Clarkson and Port Credit have direct connections. Long Branch is a bit of a walk, but that was the result of NIMBYism when the station locations were being decided. The rest of the Mississauga and southern Etobicoke/TO stations all suck without a doubt. Erindale tries with the Burnhamthorpe side, but completely missed it with Creditview.

Clarkson and Port Credit have direct connections. Long Branch is a bit of a walk, but that was the result of NIMBYism when the station locations were being decided. The rest of the Mississauga and southern Etobicoke/TO stations all suck without a doubt. Erindale tries with the Burnhamthorpe side, but completely missed it with Creditview.
And Durham stations all have excellent local bus connections. My local bus literally stops directly in front of the GO station exit doors, just ten feet away. Some are a further walk, of course - but all are closer than the vast majority of parking spaces.

didn't make it out to the real thing and joined the webcast really late (only heard a few questions being asked).

gotta hand it to them for making this process very public and accessible to everyone. can't wait to see the boards from the meeting posted online.

I was there - it was packed (300+ ppl) and they said another 60 or so were online. How was the webcast?

You're right that the accessability has been great. What you missed was they gave everyone transponders (well, until they ran out) and showed slides and different scenarios and got people to vote with instant results. The Qs were mostly about what's important to you at a given station or does this bridge design seem "heritage" to you etc.

There were some good Qs and some good answers. I'm trying to think what was particularly noteworthy, off the top of my head...

-the final station alignment is still a bit up in the air though people seem to be favouring the one closest to Go. Markham seems to be worried about the distance from the Langstaff community but the planners emphasized Langstaff and RH Centre working as 2 stations serving one community: One handles parking and the other handles intermodal transit.

-The intermodal stats were interesting too. I think they said 85% of people on the 407 Transitway will be coming from the east to the subway and a lot of busses will turn back around there. Similarly, they expect people heading south of Queen to stay with GO and don't really expect it to either offset or compete with the new subway.

-people don't want a Finch-style lot @ Langstaff so they are looking at green ways to do it ; even showed a picture of a French lot that has concrete driveways and earth parking spots

-As people probably know, 2016 is the projected opening date. The EA starts in October and there will be a pub meeting at NY Centre in October and another one in YR in late November.

-The bridge plan is coming along nicely and they have even figured out phased construction so it will impact Yonge as little as possible.

Basically, they're doing a lot of engineering work so when the Metrolinx plan gets okayed they are ready to go.

You can ask Qs or I'll post whatever else comes to mind...

You're right that the accessability has been great. What you missed was they gave everyone transponders (well, until they ran out) and showed slides and different scenarios and got people to vote with instant results. The Qs were mostly about what's important to you at a given station or does this bridge design seem "heritage" to you etc.

Whoever is organizing this EA (York Region?) deserves major kudos for being so transparent and democratic. I'm impressed by what has been posted. Hopefully this will set the bar for all future EAs in the Toronto area.

I was there. Took the bus to Brampton after. While waiting at the RHC terminal to head south on Yonge to transfer to the 77, I noticed that the Yonge buses were standing room only, even going/coming north of 7--at 9:30! I know VIVA is on strike, but still, that's a lot of people using transit on Yonge.

Sorry to jump in...have they decided on station locations yet? As in which of the five options for potential locations?

Sorry to jump in...have they decided on station locations yet? As in which of the five options for potential locations?

Drewry/Cummer (yet, retardedly, a block or two north of the actual intersection), Steeles (possibly with a ridiculously overbuilt bus terminal), Clark, Royal Orchard, Bunker, Richmond Hill Centre (also possibly with a ridiculously overbuilt bus terminal). A stop at Centre will likely not get built due to its quite low potential ridership (entangled with local heritage concerns) and Bunker is the surprise, but makes loads of sense with a huge parking lot proposed for the hydro corridor and a huge condos'n'more redevelopment proposed for the land 'twixt the 407 and the cemetery. Ye done well, York Region!

Back