News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There seems to be very little detail on what "enhanced bus service" means. I hope we'll hear more details on this soon. If it contains curbside bus lanes, or even HOV lanes, I'll be very happy.

Overall though, I'm loving this transit plan. One realistic thing that would have made it even better though is 'temporary' enhanced bus service along Sheppard East as well, just until the subway opens.

And like I mentioned somewhere else, hopefully by the time that the SRT is being replaced, more funds will have arrived to be able to extend the line to Malvern.

TTC seeking Federal Funds for Sheppard

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...plan-wins-provincial-approval/article1963854/

Toronto Transit Commission chair Karen Stintz said city officials are in the process of applying for federal support from a $1.2-billion infrastructure fund set aside for public-private partnerships. The submission deadline is June.

“We have to develop a business case demonstrating that we have revenue streams to pay back the private investment,†she said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...plan-wins-provincial-approval/article1963854/

Toronto Transit Commission chair Karen Stintz said city officials are in the process of applying for federal support from a $1.2-billion infrastructure fund set aside for public-private partnerships. The submission deadline is June.

“We have to develop a business case demonstrating that we have revenue streams to pay back the private investment,” she said.

Now THAT is going to be an interesting business case. This whole thing reminds me of the 'business case' that Bettman has for keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix. "It'll work. Trust me."

Just thought of something: While I'd like to see the subway extended from Sheppard-Yonge to Downsview, there ain't no way I'm going to let it be done by building condos over Earl Bales Park! My late grandfather was a key person who worked tirelessly in the 70s to keep it from suffering such a fate, and I'm not going to sit idly if it comes under fire again.

Now THAT is going to be an interesting business case. This whole thing reminds me of the 'business case' that Bettman has for keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix. "It'll work. Trust me."

The two above scenario cannot be compared at all.

Just thought of something: While I'd like to see the subway extended from Sheppard-Yonge to Downsview, there ain't no way I'm going to let it be done by building condos over Earl Bales Park! My late grandfather was a key person who worked tirelessly in the 70s to keep it from suffering such a fate, and I'm not going to sit idly if it comes under fire again.

next to it, maybe

Over it, unlikely

Would you be OK with condos anywhere near there? Just wondering.

BTW, I do have to point out though... The 1970s were 40 years ago. Things have changed since then.

In the long term people can transfer at the Science Centre to go downtown and bypass the Yonge line altogether, or at least in the direction of rush hour traffic.

Looking at that map upthread the need for a DRL becomes more glaringly obvious. I just can't imagine the rush hour crush loads on the Yonge Line once Eglinton comes on stream.

Low cost solution

Low cost solution

Crowded%20Commuter%20Train.jpg

Those plazas on the south side of Sheppard at Bathurst are perfectly suited to intensification. I don't there's a need (or ability) to encroach much more on the park.

Keeping Eglinton as LRT is probably a symptom of having a signed vehicle order contract with Bombardier as much as it is anything else.

Too true its too bad that order had been made otherwise we could be getting a crosstown HRT line, plus the STC would likely have been underground HRT as well...

Re the new SRT...is removing mccowan a big deal? In all of the time ive taken the SRT to STC (many many many times), ive never seen anyone go there. To be honest im not realy even sure why it was there in the first place unless it was to connect to the telus/office buildings at consilium.

Looking at that map upthread the need for a DRL becomes more glaringly obvious. I just can't imagine the rush hour crush loads on the Yonge Line once Eglinton comes on stream.

This is kind of why this Sheppard experiment worries me. If it's a failure (which it will probably be), it will make the idea of new subway construction very unpallitable. Even for a project as important as the DRL.

Too true its too bad that order had been made otherwise we could be getting a crosstown HRT line, plus the STC would likely have been underground HRT as well...
The only way we can afford the line as it is is to reuse the existing guideway.

To build a HRT capable connection would cost a billion dollars more than we have.

Also McCowan station will be removed ...

I suspect that they just forgot to print the McCowan station on their map.

They still need the Bellamy yard and the tracks will go there right through the current location of McCowan station. If so, why not retain the station?

Back