News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There's another Evans Avenue in Bloor West Village (Bloor/Jane area)

Interesting. I thought after amalgamation, they changed all street names to be unique, and to get rid of duplicate names. Anyone know if there are any other names of streets that share the exact same name (Evans) and a street designation (Avenue)? Why weren't either of them changed at amalgamation like many other streets did?

Last edited:
I live in Parkdale and I think Cowan Avenue between King Street West (to some extent Queen) and Springhurst Avenue is one of the prettiest residential streets. It’s also full of families.

CA2E0602-5494-4DDD-BE1A-539DFFBC9D35.png

Attachments

• CA2E0602-5494-4DDD-BE1A-539DFFBC9D35.png
    CA2E0602-5494-4DDD-BE1A-539DFFBC9D35.png
    11 MB · Views: 1,354
When Toronto was amalgamated, the transition team left the issue of duplicate street names to the new Council. It was a political hot potato - no community wanted to lose their Church Street or George Street. No Councillor was going to earn points in the ward by being reasonable or compromising on this issue. The issue bounced around for a few years, with various staff reports, until it was finally abandoned as unsolvable. Misdirected ambulances and fire trucks be damned.

When Ottawa was amalgamated a few years later (2001?), its transition team dealt with the duplicate street names and, having seen what was happening in Toronto, avoided leaving the issue to the new Council. People hollered and were upset, but in the end they looked to preserve street names by adding new words (e.g. Church Street in North Gower became Village Church Street, etc.) and most residents were relatively mollified and the issue died down. And Ottawa doesn't have the same 911 problem today as Toronto does because Frances Nunziata was convinced that the Church Street in Weston is more famous than the Church Street downtown.

ETA: I just realized that I responded a post from 6 months ago. Sorry.

Last edited:
When Toronto was amalgamated, the transition team left the issue of duplicate street names to the new Council. It was a political hot potato - no community wanted to lose their Church Street or George Street. No Councillor was going to earn points in the ward by being reasonable or compromising on this issue. The issue bounced around for a few years, with various staff reports, until it was finally abandoned as unsolvable. Misdirected ambulances and fire trucks be damned.

When Ottawa was amalgamated a few years later (2001?), its transition team dealt with the duplicate street names and, having seen what was happening in Toronto, avoided leaving the issue to the new Council. People hollered and were upset, but in the end they looked to preserve street names by adding new words (e.g. Church Street in North Gower became Village Church Street, etc.) and most residents were relatively mollified and the issue died down. And Ottawa doesn't have the same 911 problem today as Toronto does because Frances Nunziata was convinced that the Church Street in Weston is more famous than the Church Street downtown.

ETA: I just realized that I responded a post from 6 months ago. Sorry.
Toronto could have found a reasonable compromise.

For example, Church Street in Weston could have been named Church Street Weston or Weston Church Street for example.

Here's a photo I took on Geneva Ave. (just off Riverdale Park West) last October
CACFCC8B-208B-4FDF-AFCA-754BC963740B.jpeg

Attachments

• CACFCC8B-208B-4FDF-AFCA-754BC963740B.jpeg
    CACFCC8B-208B-4FDF-AFCA-754BC963740B.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 1,074
Yes! Love that street and its little curve. Very archetypal somehow.
I live in Cabbagetown and it’s so straight that you can see Wellesley St. from Gerrard. But I like streets that curve, as it slows traffic and is interesting. The British gave us the grid pattern, but their own cities, based on ancient walking paths and river banks are warrens of windy streets like below.

ihg-instagram-london-kelly-street.jpg

london_street.jpg

I wish we had more roads like this in Toronto.

Last edited:

Back