News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The article below talks about how big the production boom is here; and how short of studio space we are; one local production which is a Canadian story actually shifted production to South Africa!

If you can't read the full article above; you can you can put the url in at www.outline.com to read it.

Slipped under my radar in December............but Another Canadian show has been picked up a U.S. network.

This time, reality TV, not scripted: Holmes: Family Effect is a new series featuring contractor Mike Holmes and his offspring, this time doing work to renovate public and charitable spaces rather than houses.

Fox has picked up the series in the U.S.

CTV will debut it following the Superbowl.

Some Toronto area sites they worked on; or groups they worked with:

Judith Nyman Secondary School (Feb. 7),
Solid State (Feb. 14),
Working Gear (Feb. 21),
The FORT (March 7).

And .....another scripted Canadian drama has been picked up by a U.S. network.

The CBC's Diggstown, centred around a Halifax-based lawyer played by actress Vinessa Antoine

The series already has 2 seasons in the can.

Its been picked by FOX network for the U.S.

Last edited:

Netflix plans to open an office in Canada and grow its relationship with its creators

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Netflix plans to open an office in Canada in what the streaming giant calls "a big first step" toward content creation in this country.

Netflix co-CEO and chief content officer Ted Sarandos says the California-based company is still figuring out the office location.

But they're thinking of Toronto and Vancouver, since the company has so much production happening in both markets.

Two years ago, Netflix announced plans to set up a production hub in Toronto by leasing two studio spaces along the downtown industrial waterfront area.

Sarandos says adding an office in Canada will allow Netflix executives to be closer to Canadian creators, so they can build relationships and field pitches.

He adds that Netflix executives will also be able to be more on the ground here and "can keep their fingers on the pulse of what's happening in the creative community in Canada."

That's all well and good but what Netflix really need here is more British comedy.

I mean, you can spoof a British account I guess....but that's not easy procedure for most people.

I guess this will make it easier for them to collect sales taxes though. ;)

I'm curious if it's just mainly blokes like us who'd watch British programming on their platform. There's been shows like Borderline, Burnistoun, and Nightmare Tenants Slum Landlords (the latter being not comedy) that were carried by Netflix but are now dropped.

Which is why I've been racing to finish watching "People Just Do Nothing" just in case that's gone as well in the future. "Still Game" is still available but I don't find the newest season(s) as good as the old ones. I find Derry Girls pretty funny as well.

I'm curious if it's just mainly blokes like us who'd watch British programming on their platform. There's been shows like Borderline, Burnistoun, and Nightmare Tenants Slum Landlords (the latter being not comedy) that were carried by Netflix but are now dropped.

Which is why I've been racing to finish watching "People Just Do Nothing" just in case that's gone as well in the future. "Still Game" is still available but I don't find the newest season(s) as good as the old ones. I find Derry Girls pretty funny as well.

Hold on......'Blokes like us' he says to @SunriseChampion

Never, in my life, have I pictured Albert going raving with Sunrise under the Gardiner Bridges over the Humber River.....until the wee hours of the morning....

I'm curious if it's just mainly blokes like us who'd watch British programming on their platform.
It's just normal people who would/do.
I don't know what the freaks out there are watching. ;)

I think it's pretty popular. British TV is superior to most anything in the English-speaking world. This is a fact.

My crew mostly watch British TV...then again, it's just an extension of our subculture to gravitate towards it, I suppose as most of our choicest music originated there.

There's been shows like Borderline, Burnistoun, and Nightmare Tenants Slum Landlords (the latter being not comedy) that were carried by Netflix but are now dropped.
Their biggest sin, in my opinion, was dropping Black Books. For shame.

I haven't watched either Still Game or Derry Girls but I wish I could watch more of the Kurupt FM exploits. As you can imagine, that show really speaks to me and I'm proud to announce that some beautiful soul in my building here amongst the upper floors has their WIFI signal named 'KURUPT FM'.

Brought a tear to my eye when I moved up here.

I don't have Netflix though.......I occasionaly pirate acces to someone's account.

Hold on......'Blokes like us' he says to @SunriseChampion

Never, in my life, have I pictured Albert going raving with Sunrise under the Gardiner Bridges over the Humber River.....until the wee hours of the morning....

Actually, if it wasn't for the pandemic we (@SunriseChampion ) probably would've gone on a journey across the Atlantic for a soccer roadtrip across the Rhine-Ruhr heartland region of Germany.

Well, the Football Factory on Bathurst probably would've been alright too until it closed...sigh...

Last edited:
I haven't watched either Still Game or Derry Girls but I wish I could watch more of the Kurupt FM exploits. As you can imagine, that show really speaks to me and I'm proud to announce that some beautiful soul in my building here amongst the upper floors has their WIFI signal named 'KURUPT FM'.

Brought a tear to my eye when I moved up here.

I don't have Netflix though.......I occasionaly pirate acces to someone's account.

Yep, gotta love the Kurupt FM bros. The show is just a quality genius blend of satirical and often slapstick humour. Especially for folks growing up in the West End of the 90s, the characters just seem relatable.

Actually, if it wasn't for the pandemic we (@SunriseChampion ) probably would've gone on a journey across the Atlantic for a soccer roadtrip across the Rhine-Ruhr heartland region of Germany.
😍

Ein leben lang, blau und weiss ein leben lang! ;)

Well, the Football Factory on Bathurst probably would've been alright too until it closed...sigh...
😥

More Star Trek for Toronto.

Shooting starts this week on the latest series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Which will follow the U.S.S. Enterprise under Christopher Pike, in the years leading up to the original series timeline.

(10 Episodes)

Being shot at purpose-built CBS facilities in Mississauga.

Back