News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

E

Ed007Toronto

"Taddle Creek, which starts west of Bathurst St. and north of St. Clair Ave., roughly where Humewood Park is now, and flows southeast. From U of T, it cuts across University Ave. and through the heart of downtown to Queen St. and eventually into the Don River."

www.thestar.com/News/article/199452

Toronto's hidden rivers TheStar.com - News - Toronto's hidden rivers
Ardent ramblers and mapmakers are rediscovering forgotten rivers that run deep
April 05, 2007
Adam Mayers
Toronto Star

Most of us don't make the connection between wet basements and twisting roads in our neighbourhood, or wonder why some streets come to an abrupt dead end.

Helen Mills did after taking a physical geography course at University of Toronto some years ago, and her curiosity about these "distortions in the urban grid" led her on a journey that has helped create a map of the city's lost rivers and creeks.

These ancient water courses have gradually disappeared from view, filled in by development and diverted into sewers, but they still flow on a lazy journey under our lawns and street, much as they have for thousands of years.

There is a sewer grate in the middle of Philosopher's Walk at U of T between Bloor St. and Hoskin Ave., where the path meanders through a narrow valley. You can lift the grate and hear the sound of running water. It is partly runoff, but the rest is the remains of Taddle Creek, which starts west of Bathurst St. and north of St. Clair Ave., roughly where Humewood Park is now, and flows southeast. From U of T, it cuts across University Ave. and through the heart of downtown to Queen St. and eventually into the Don River.

There are many other streams following channels carved out during the last ice age. They have names like Mud Creek, Walmsley Brook and Cudmore Creek.

Mud Creek, pictured here, also known as Mount Pleasant Brook, starts just east of Downsview Airport and flows southeast, reaching the Don River at the Don Valley Brick Works.

Mills studied philosophy at U of T and after graduation found work as a courier. These days she owns a courier company and an organic gardening service. As she drove around town, she became an expert on street layout, curious about some of the oddities – dead ends, twists and turns, curves and sudden dips and rises.

For years she filled up at a gas station at Sherbourne and Richmond Sts. and wondered why, when she left the station, there was a steep incline and a curved alleyway.

While looking at an aerial photo of the downtown as part of her geography course, she realized the station sat on the remains of a Taddle Creek riverbank.

About 10 years ago, Mills saw a poster for a meeting of a community environmental group, which has evolved into the Toronto Green Committee. One thing led to another and the Green Committee now has ties with the Toronto Field Naturalists, an 80-year-old group devoted to preserving the city's natural heritage.

Together they have set out to find Toronto's lost rivers, map them and explore the related history of each one. It has turned into an ongoing field trip, offering free walking tours with as many as 60 people per group exploring how the streams have become part of the water course.

"The walks are part of an education process," says Mills. "It helps us show people the connection between what's under our feet and what's coming out of the tap."

Some of the streams were filled in by development, but many became incorporated into the city sewer system.

By the mid-1830s, Toronto was a town of 10,000 people, without any sanitation, and called "Muddy York" for good reason. It was a dirty, smelly, filthy place, choking on its own refuse. Rivers, streams and the harbour were repositories for garbage, human and animal sewage and dead animals.

Along with the filth came disease. The contaminated water courses led to several cholera epidemics. Francis Collins, founder of the Canadian Freeman newspaper in 1825, wrote of the harbour: "All the filth of the town – dead horses, dogs, cats, manure – drops down into the water, which is used by almost all the inhabitants on the shore." Ironically, Collins died during the city's cholera epidemic in 1834.

By the later half of the 19th century, everyone agreed that sanitation and clean drinking water were vital to Toronto's well-being. The city began building water filtration plants and a sewer system. It made sense to use the old streams and creeks, since they follow the natural topography.

Parts of Taddle Creek were buried at different times, with those closest to the downtown covered first. The section east of Church St. was enclosed before 1860, while the Philosopher's Walk creek was filled in in 1886.

Mills says local politicians opted to combine storm and sanitary sewers against the advice of the city engineering department, because it was cheaper than two separate systems. It worked well enough until heavy rain overwhelmed the sewers, spilling sewage and rainwater onto the street. The problem persists and explains why summer storms can close city beaches.

"We're still paying for that decision," Mills says.

There is a full slate of weekend walking tours in April, a good time to get out when it's not too hot and spring runoff makes the streams more visible. Lost Rivers has a terrific website, with details of the walks and related history.

Looking Back appears every two weeks.

Lost Rivers walking tours

Lost river walking tours are free and are about two hours long with varying degrees of difficulty. They usually take place on Saturday or Sunday afternoons, weather permitting.

For a full list of times and locations, go to: www.lostrivers.ca

For more on the Toronto Green Community, go to: www.ntgc.ca

For more on the Toronto Field Naturalists, go to: www.torontofieldnaturalists.org

Continuing from the discussion on the Aura thread (http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?p=361765#post361765), I thought it worthwhile to note a couple of things.

Firstly, it could be plain old groundwater (plenty of that in the old lacustrine plain of Lake Iroqouis and elsewhere) filling up construction pits, not diversions of now buried old surface watercourses, although of course it could be related to the latter, too.

Seccondly, not all surface watercourses that are now history were just buried (i.e. covered in fill without being diverted elsewhere). Of course some surface watercourses were just buried in fill (upper marshy reaches of the Taddle in the Annex, for example, although some pipes were also laid here), but others were diverted to other surface watercourses (which may themeselves now be history), existing sewers or entombed in new sewers.

The Taddle was entombed in a sewer starting at about the Church of the Holy Trinity (the area of the old Macaulaytown), just west of and adjacent to the Eaton Centre, in the 1850s. Upper and lower reaches were buried after that. The fountain in the Eaton Centre is about the location where the Taddle passed, with a bridge over it carrying traffic north and south.

If anyone is interested in this, in addition to the Lost Rivers website and other valuable photo and essay resources, I recommend the recent book "HTO: Toronto's Water from Lake Iroquois to Lost Rivers to Low-flow Toilets" edited by Wayne Reeves and Christina Palassio, Coach House Books, 2008.

what ever happed to the spring that popped up in high park that was spewing water from georgian bay?

The Laurentian acquifer is still there, as it has been for thousands of years. I believe that its waters are still escaping from the acquifer at the north east corner of the park, its most southern extent, but I haven't checked on it in quite a while. If you want to investigate yourself, look for a reddish tinge to runoff in the uppermost end of the Spring Creek channel to determine if the spring is still flowing - this is the iron in the spring water oxidizing as it is exposed to air.

Unlikely Georgian Bay. Any pressure maps I've seen of groundwater in southern Ontario, show a flow divide somewhere in the vicinity of the Oak Ridges Moraine.

This one was rediscovered in 2003 when a 15 meter high gusher sprang forth. It was last in evidence in 1914 when mineral baths were located at this southernmost point of the acquifer, subsequently buried after the construction of Bloor Street. The gusher turned out to be the ancient Laurentian River which pre-dates Georgian Bay by millions of years. However, the general description is accurate, as the acquifer runs deep in the bedrock southward from Georgian Bay.

The Laurentian acquifer is still there, as it has been for thousands of years. I believe that its waters are still escaping from the acquifer at the north east corner of the park, its most southern extent, but I haven't checked on it in quite a while. If you want to investigate yourself, look for a reddish tinge to runoff in the uppermost end of the Spring Creek channel to determine if the spring is still flowing - this is the iron in the spring water oxidizing as it is exposed to air.

are there any pictures? can you post a google maps link to the location you're talking about?

Unlikely Georgian Bay. Any pressure maps I've seen of groundwater in southern Ontario, show a flow divide somewhere in the vicinity of the Oak Ridges Moraine.

i wouldn't know if it was from georgian bay but this was the news a few years back. it was said it took tens of thousands of years for the water to travel the distance. i also remember hearing that they capped it possibly?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentian_River_System_(Ontario)

And: http://www.lostrivers.ca/points/beforeice.htm

"While the Laurentian River has been blocked by the Oak Ridges Moraine, the porous nature of this land form allows some water to flow through. Recently, drilling in High Park discovered this aquifer and water from the Laurentian River came up to flow once again on the surface."

They tried to cap it. I don't have any pictures, but the book "HTO: Toronto's Water from Lake Iroquois to Lost Rivers to Low-flow Toilets" edited by Wayne Reeves and Christina Palassio, Coach House Books, 2008, does have one. Checkout the hillside in the northeast corner above the pond that then flows into Spring Creek.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentian_River_System_(Ontario)

And: http://www.lostrivers.ca/points/beforeice.htm

"While the Laurentian River has been blocked by the Oak Ridges Moraine, the porous nature of this land form allows some water to flow through. Recently, drilling in High Park discovered this aquifer and water from the Laurentian River came up to flow once again on the surface."

They tried to cap it. I don't have any pictures, but the book "HTO: Toronto's Water from Lake Iroquois to Lost Rivers to Low-flow Toilets" edited by Wayne Reeves and Christina Palassio, Coach House Books, 2008, does have one. Checkout the hillside in the northeast corner above the pond that then flows into Spring Creek.

thanks for the info and links. the wiki article says "The source of the aquifer is thought to be near Georgian Bay".

p.s, what were they drilling for in high park?

There were two things that were going on in July 2003 when the acquifer was "rediscovered". Firstly, workers were fitting caps on two artesian wells to prepare for expansion of two stormwater ponds. (Evidently, they knew there was goundwater/springwater here, but didn't realize where it was coming from.) Capping the wells put some back pressure on the system. I'm not a hydraulic engineer, so I don't know if this contribured to the first gusher (more on this below), but it was some work that had just been completed. After the first gusher, these caps also blew.

Secondly, and likely most importantly, as part of research project involving 9 conservation authorities and 4 municipalities, workers were drilling test wells to determine the extent of and better understand the hydraulogy of the oak ridges moraine. A test well was sunk in this vicinity and, as they reached a depth of about 45 meters down, not meeting the bedrock they had expected to meet, a geyser blew forth. This first gusher (followed shortly thereafter by the blowing of the caps on the artesian wells), sprayed 15 meters in the air and carried with it rocks, gravel and sand. They immediately knew they had discovered something very important.

thanks for the info 41stfloor.

i wonder if it was sustained at 15M height? that would have been an awesome sight. i wonder what would happen if they just left it that way?

Apparently, the Jane Creek flows underground into the Humber, from just near north-east of the corner of Jane Street and Bloor Street West. The southern portion of the St. Pius X school yard covers it now. I once saw a map that showed the original Jane Creek, but can't locate it online now.

The gusher turned out to be the ancient Laurentian River which pre-dates Georgian Bay by millions of years. However, the general description is accurate, as the acquifer runs deep in the bedrock southward from Georgian Bay.
The water may well be old, but if so, it's stagnant, and barely moving. Water does not flow from Georgian Bay to Lake Ontario through groundwater. There is a flow divide, both in the overburden, and the bedrock.

Millions of years seems to be a bit of a stretch though. I'd be surprised if it dates to before the Illinoian stage, which only ended 130,000 years ago. Do you have a reference for this?

Also, I don't know how it would be that deep in the bedrock - surely it wouldn't be in the Precambrian?

Back