News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm not sure about this so-called "Danforth" neighbourhood. The good folks at the Star are essentially saying that a person standing on the northeast corner of Logan and Danforth is in the same neighbourhood as someone standing at Main and Danforth. That's a bit hard to believe.

Having gone through this exercise for TOBuilt, and having commented on it on this site many times, I wish them luck. I did find the map they produced was wanting in a few respects, most notably in that there are blanks that are not covered by any neighbourhood definition. Almost every map I ever found that charted neighbourhoods did this - left out certain areas - and for my own purposes I need a map that covers the entire terrain of the city (since TOBuilt has structures that are not residential). Apart from that, a few observations, from things that I immediately check when I see maps of this type.

- I always look to see how North York Centre is handled. To my mind, there is indisputably a neighbourhood called "North York Centre" that is distinguishable from Willowdale, of which it was fomerly a part. This is really tricky, because NYC essentially forms the middle bit of Willowdale. But this map is rather bad at this - would anybody really claim that the former City Hall of North York is in Lansing, while Empress Walk, across the street, is in Willowdale?
- I also look to see how East York is handled, as it is also a difficult area for which to draw boundaries. True to form, there is a large swath of the former Borough (south of the river) that is simply "East York", while other parts of the former East York bear neighbourhood names. For TOBuilt, this did not work, and in East York more than most places, I "invented" some hoods, but they are defensible, I think mostly: Todmorden, Pape Village and East York Centre (this last one less defensible than others, given the East York City Centre up above the river, but what can you do?).
- A third difficult area is the centre of the city - if we have a "Financial District", do we also have a "Downtown"? What is University Avenue up near the hospitals, and what is the upper Bay Street Corridor where the Government buildings are? Are Burano and Mozo in the same neighbourhood or not? I essentially invented "Downtown East" to divide these into two, using Yonge Street as the border, and have "Downtown" as being that strip along Bay and University, north of Dundas, but it is an unsatisfying solution to a difficult problem. On this map, they've declined to name large swaths of this area at all.
- Finally, TOBuilt's neighbourhoods conformed to the old city boundaries, because I also index all buildings on their former city, and it would be confusing or too much work to have parts of Cedarvale in the former York, and parts in the former Toronto. This map doesn't respect the old city boundaries, but I think that's fine, and the old boundaries are likely to have less and less meaning over time anyways (above all on that confusing border between York and everyone else). In this regard, it's probably TOBuilt's own definitions that are a bit retrograde, but I don't plan on changing them much.

I could make a million other comments about individual details on the map - like whether Yorkville is correct or if it should be a larger "Bloor Yorkville" that bleeds to south of Bloor, but there are too many to observe and I am sympathetic to their effort and don't want to nitpick them to death.

Also, as the article points out, such definitions are constantly shifting in time. I wish we were more like Sydney, where neighbourhood boundaries are determined by some higher authority and set in stone, and consequently used rather consistently. It's the classifier and organizer of data in me that longs for a higher power, some absolute authority, to dictate this. If it were me, nothing in Toronto would be a "village" at all, and Liberty would be "Liberty". Controlled vocabularies, indeed.

Also, as the article points out, such definitions are constantly shifting in time. I wish we were more like Sydney, where neighbourhood boundaries are determined by some higher authority and set in stone, and consequently used rather consistently. It's the classifier and organizer of data in me that longs for a higher power, some absolute authority, to dictate this. If it were me, nothing in Toronto would be a "village" at all, and Liberty would be "Liberty". Controlled vocabularies, indeed.

I also find the convention of adding "village" to already fine neighbourhood names to be annoying. Thank goodness no one calls it "Junction Village", though not surprisingly, some real estate agents already do. But it is appropriate for some areas, like Bloor West Village, which as "Bloor West" would be too vague.

Why wouldn't Bloor West Village just be called High Park or High Park West? Bloor West Village has always confused me as it's only maybe 4 blocks long.

Once upon a time, it might have been casually referred to as "Bloor/Jane" or "Jane/Bloor"...

I'm not sure about this so-called "Danforth" neighbourhood. The good folks at the Star are essentially saying that a person standing on the northeast corner of Logan and Danforth is in the same neighbourhood as someone standing at Main and Danforth. That's a bit hard to believe.
I don't believe it. Once you get a little past Woodbine, IMO Danforth begins to turn trashy and rundown. Once you're at Main or eastward, forget about it. I worked at Shoppers Drug at Main and Danforth from 1988 until 1991, and well remember the downtrodden area, even then.

It's based upon how locals defined their own neighbourhood, and I guess everyone in that area referred to their neighbourhood as "The Danforth". It wouldn't make much sense to have "The Danforth (1)" and "The Danforth (2)".

And for that matter, who says that neighbourhoods can't have variations within their borders? Variations of wealth, built form, or even sketchiness. How much does the towers of High Park have to do with the Parkside Mansions of High Park?

Besides, there are a lot of neighbourhoods on that map that are quite a bit larger than The Danforth.

I dislike how this map excludes the 905 areas. We have neighborhoods too. Certainly in Mississauga they're relatively easy to define, based on the old town boundaries to an extent. Except maybe Toronto Township, which hasn't been used in ages.

Having grown up just south of Danforth off Carlaw, we all refered to the area as "The Danforth" never called it "Greek town", even the proper name of Riverdale was almost always dropped from the popular vocabulary. All the kids in the nabe, if asked, would've of said "the Danforth"

What I find really strange about the map as well is that the Annex stops at Bloor, I would think it would extend down to atleast Harbourd.

I dislike how this map excludes the 905 areas. We have neighborhoods too. Certainly in Mississauga they're relatively easy to define, based on the old town boundaries to an extent. Except maybe Toronto Township, which hasn't been used in ages.

From the article:

That's why, with the help of readers, the Star has been developing what we hope will be a comprehensive map of Toronto neighbourhoods, a print version of which appears today on pages A8-9. (On tap: a similar effort covering the 905.)

Back