News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I dislike how this map excludes the 905 areas. We have neighborhoods too. Certainly in Mississauga they're relatively easy to define, based on the old town boundaries to an extent. Except maybe Toronto Township, which hasn't been used in ages.

To me it was weird that they did it by 416, then 905. I would have done it by part of the city, instead. Like, to me it is relevant to look at Thornhill and "Newtonbrook" and Willowdale and see how their east-west boundaries fit together, etc., as they are tightly integrated. Neither Port Union nor whatever is on the other side of it in Pickering are particularly integrated with any of those.

Apparently I live in Tritown. This is news to me. I've never even heard that moniker. Google doesn't have a single mention of this neighbourhood either.

Cabbagetown also seems wrong (Dundas and Sherbourne doesn't strike me as Cabbagetown). The Yorkville boundary is also too stringent (I'd go south to Charles, and I'd also include those little streets to the east of the reference library). No Ryerson neighbourhood? No downtown Chinatown?

Sorry to bring up the debate on the definition of downtown, but I met up with Americans yesterday who were engaged in a heated discussion about how come Torontonians have such a vague and vast definition for our "downtown". Seems like to them, you don't get to "downtown" until you get to the central area that has the city's tallest towers (so to them, the western boundary of "downtown" would be University Avenue). They laughed off the notion that places like Chinatown and Kensington Market are part of "downtown" (which many Torontonians, especially suburbanites like me, would say is "downtown").

I think one way that we can use to define certain neighbourhoods is to attach a neighbourhood name to every subway station in Toronto, and then consider the area within walking distance to that subway station as the neighbourhood.

In Hong Kong, almost all MTR subway stations are named after the neighbourhoods or districts that the station is in, while a few are named after streets. Interestingly, for stations named after streets, people started to use the street name as the name for the area around the station, to the point that now the street/station name is officially recognized as the name for the area.

Tritown tripped me out as well.

If they'll be doing a 905 extension of this idea I should submit to them my Pickering-Ajax neighbourhood map; save them some trouble (and possible muck up).

Sorry to bring up the debate on the definition of downtown, but I met up with Americans yesterday who were engaged in a heated discussion about how come Torontonians have such a vague and vast definition for our "downtown". Seems like to them, you don't get to "downtown" until you get to the central area that has the city's tallest towers (so to them, the western boundary of "downtown" would be University Avenue). They laughed off the notion that places like Chinatown and Kensington Market are part of "downtown" (which many Torontonians, especially suburbanites like me, would say is "downtown").

Try outer 905ers and others further afield (519, 705, etc) who refer to the entire 416 as "downtown Toronto".

Anyway, I have no problems picturing the downtown as being more than the CBD (which is essentially what your American colleagues seem to consider to by synonymous with downtown).

Apparently I live in Tritown. This is news to me. I've never even heard that moniker. Google doesn't have a single mention of this neighbourhood either.

Tritown? So which one is it - Cobalt, Haileybury or New Liskeard?

(That's the only Tritown I've heard of in Ontario - that's the northerner in me talking though).

Tritown? So which one is it - Cobalt, Haileybury or New Liskeard?

(That's the only Tritown I've heard of in Ontario - that's the northerner in me talking though).

Really?

What about Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge?

All my friends from there call it that.

PS: They forgot about Hillside! The rural north-east of Toronto. Oh, it's real. :)

At least they got my neighbourhood mostly right, no points for guessing which one. It stops a few blocks south of where it should, but overall it's not bad.

Anyway, I have no problems picturing the downtown as being more than the CBD (which is essentially what your American colleagues seem to consider to by synonymous with downtown).

Downtown is particularly hard to define if you have a Financial District that consumes the core of it. "Central Toronto" is one of the more difficult areas to work with.

Re: Annex. No, the annex doesn't go south of Bloor, on that one small point I would tend to disagree. The annex is a slightly enlarged area that was actually annexed by the city some time ago. Areas south of Bloor are hard to define - I have it as Sussex-Ulster (which I don't much like, no one calls it that), but Harbord Village might be better.

I've stopped looking at updates, but I saw somewhere there was an "Old Towne". Spare me.

Is it my imagination, or are highrise residential districts given the short shrift?

Back