News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I just Received an email from the library. Saying that they are re-opening gradually. So I guess my books will be due soon.
Yes!

When and where can I return my library materials?
Over the next two weeks we’ll be opening up our drop boxes in two stages:

On Monday, May 25, we’ll open drop boxes at the following 17 branches:

On Monday, June 1
, we’ll open drop boxes at all remaining accessible branches.

What can I return?
For now, please return only library books, magazines, DVDs, CDs or audiobooks. If you have anything else from the library, please hold on to it until our branches reopen. Please do not return fragile or large materials you may have out on loan, such as musical instruments, Arduino kits, or any other materials that may be damaged by dropping into one of our drop boxes.

Drop boxes will be open 24/7. As we expect high volumes of returns, please do not attempt to put items into the drop box slot if the drop box is full, and do not leave items outside on the sidewalk. Please practice social distancing (keep 2 metres apart) if there is a lineup when you arrive.

Will I be charged late fees if I do not use the library's curbside drop-off service?
You can continue to hold on to your borrowed items until branches reopen. You will not be charged fines during this period.

I recently saw that Pickering is building a brand new library next to their city hall and it triggered the thought that what if the TPL were to expand beyond Toronto's borders, would it make any sort of sense? Or even to go one step further and annex the Pickering Public Library system?

So long as the Municipality of Pickering pays their fair share, wouldn't this just increase access and service for more people?

I recently saw that Pickering is building a brand new library next to their city hall and it triggered the thought that what if the TPL were to expand beyond Toronto's borders, would it make any sort of sense? Or even to go one step further and annex the Pickering Public Library system?

So long as the Municipality of Pickering pays their fair share, wouldn't this just increase access and service for more people?

There's still a provincial inter-loan system of materials between branches.

I'm not sure there would be a huge gain. Certainly none for Toronto.

There are province's that run their library system at a provincial level; but their systems are smaller than Toronto's.

Economies of scale do have their limits.

Toronto's is among the very busiest/largest library systems on the planet.

I have decently extensive experience with the Pickering Public Library and can say definitively that it's quite good in terms of material on hand. Though, I should qualify this with fact that my experience is mostly from 15ish years ago.

Fun fact: the Toronto Public Library has among the world's busiest library systems:

According to some statistics, the Toronto Public Library is only second to Hong Kong's. According to some statistics, Toronto Public Library is on the top in the world in terms of circulation per capita.

...and yet.....our chief magistrates: Lastman, Miller, Ford, Tory.

What the hell are all these people reading out of there? Seems like it might be 80% people going in for the free Tor Sun/Star duo.

...and yet.....our chief magistrates: Lastman, Miller, Ford, Tory.

What the hell are all these people reading out of there? Seems like it might be 80% people going in for the free Tor Sun/Star duo.

There are, doubtless people who go in and read newspapers; only those, and just for the sports............

But, there are many others, the vast majority who use it to learn English, to do homework, to job search, or to read the latest greatest novel.

While I don't doubt there are many TPL users who aren't the most politically informed or nuanced...........

I'd be more concerned, on average, for those who don't have a use for the Library.

Admittedly I go to the library less nowadays but it remains a valuable resource for the general public. Whenever I drop by the Dufferin/St. Clair, Bloor/Gladstone, Yonge & Eg or Beaches locations, they are almost always packed. Their online publications and materials available as part of having a library card membership are also quite extensive.

I don't go to the library much as my personal library is extensive enough and remains not fully read.....some of these books I've had for 20 years and still haven't opened. Queue up, damn sheaf!

But the library is an amazing resource for reference material on science and such.

The Toronto Public Library also allows patrons to have free access to otherwise paywalled sources such as academic journals, directories for chambers of commerce, and the New York Times.
And to online courses and training. That's a huge perk.

When I lived downtown, the library was a community hub -- students studying, free internet for those who don't have their own, meeting rooms, baby groups and so much more. The library is a happening place. (in normal times)

I don't go to the library much as my personal library is extensive enough and remains not fully read.....some of these books I've had for 20 years and still haven't opened. Queue up, damn sheaf!

Yeah....I'm guilty of that as well. Got a mixture of classics, randoms, and ones bought just because it looked cool and eye catching at Indigo. Maybe one of these days... ?

Yeah....I'm guilty of that as well. Got a mixture of classics, randoms, and ones bought just because it looked cool and eye catching at Indigo. Maybe one of these days... ?

The backlog is looking ominous....like how much time do these books think I have? ;)

Back