News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

There's a HUGE difference between garbage and clean fill. Garbage is household waste; as to what clean fill is... a definition from some web site:

"Fill" is dirt. Top soil, clay, sand, gravel, rubble, even brick or concrete. "Clean", in this case, means environmentally clean, i.e. free from contaminants, including corrosive, combustible, noxious, zootoxic, reactive, or radioactive materials. The reason some people want it is to raise the elevation of a lot in order to make it more suitable to construction or change the contours of a site ... . ... construction of some types, or on some sites, often entails the removal of such material from a site, and simply dumping it elsewhere on the site may be impractical or illegal. ... the environment benefits because this material is essentially recycled.

When construction is booming the supply of clean fill far exceeds the demand, leading to some creative uses when applied on a large scale.

Everything south of Front Street/Esplanade, including the portlands and the Leslie Street Spit is fill and so are the filled in ravines. Chingcousy Park Hill in Brampton is also made of fill, unlike Centennial Park.

This reminds me of a family friend who built his house out in Buckhorn as much as possible out of leftovers and waste from the construction of CCW. The waste was being stored in a "recycling yard" in the portlands, and he would fill up his truck with what he needed and go. For example, the weatherproofing liner under the shingles was the protective covering that the stainless steel panels would come covered with.

Keeanu Reeves and Conrad Black are the most notable exports they could come up with? Doesn't seem like they did their homework...

I tend to think that rankings like this are bulls**t.

I think liveability rankings are a little better, but the whole idea kinda stinks.

It reminds me of People magazine's "25 most beautiful people" issue. What a joke that is. It should just be called the "25 most beautiful people in the entertainment or professional sports industries in the United States that have done something in the past 12 months that our celebrity gossip magazine deems newsworthy" issue.

As for the exports they mention, they are totally, like, not excellent, dude.

As for the Mercer Quality of Living Report...

How can a review the ranks dismal depressing Bankfurt as the 7th best city be taken seriously. They should include a Smile and Laughter index - that would push Frankurt to the bottom of the heap.

Back