News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The North Saskatchewan must flow faster than the Bow River, at least downtown, perhaps partly the result of the Harvie Passage (and other breaks) east of downtown. Aquatic opportunities seem more abundant with St. George's Island and Prince's Island, not to mention the Elbow River. Downtown is located in the Bow Valley. Sadly, the North Saskatchewan has claimed two lives this year because of fast-flowing sections.
The 2 rivers are vastly different beasts. The Bow through Calgary is relatively tame. Harvie Passage and St G island do make for a more accessible river. If we had a large Island we may have had some different flow conditions. but the river squeezes through Edmonton so higher flow rates. Regrettably I don't expect to see touch the water in my lifetime. The political and financial will is not there.

But get out on the water right now. This conditions are at their best.

I don't think people need to touch the water and I am skeptical it will draw more people. We do need more amenities in the area - washrooms, cafe's, restaurant's, etc.

I wish the old power plant site would be developed, it is just an empty shell sitting there empty for many years, but it could be a great attraction. We already have our version of the Granville Market there, we are just not doing anything with it.

At least the ball diamond is still being used and has not been sitting empty for years and years like the power plant. At some point as a city we need to get off our butts and do things and quit making various excuses for why nothing happens. Until we do, things will not improve.

The 2 rivers are vastly different beasts. The Bow through Calgary is relatively tame. Harvie Passage and St G island do make for a more accessible river. If we had a large Island we may have had some different flow conditions. but the river squeezes through Edmonton so higher flow rates. Regrettably I don't expect to see touch the water in my lifetime. The political and financial will is not there.

But get out on the water right now. This conditions are at their best.
Saddest part is a small river island of silt/sand formed through bridge dredging became one of the hottest local spots to visit for a good few years, so there is clearly a desire in this city for urban river interaction.

Saddest part is a small river island of silt/sand formed through bridge dredging became one of the hottest local spots to visit for a good few years, so there is clearly a desire in this city for urban river interaction.
I would agree the beach does indicate a desire or need for more urban river interaction. However, a somewhat natural beach vs. a very constructed structure with a lot of concrete are very different.

The idea of canals in Rossdale some years ago was actually a good one - bring the water more into the urban area, rather than disturb the river bank area. I realize whatever we do will disrupt the natural environment, but like the beach, the less disruption the better.

So after all the excitement is this just dead now?

It's so sad that our most significant regional asset (River Valley) from a tourism and defining characteristic perspective doesn't have any credible (active project with real timelines and budget) master plan for its development through the DT core. TOC and North Shore promenade was supposed to create a new jewel...

This project has a great vision and offered up something unique. I don't see anyone making a push to move it along for at least a few years given impending high tax increases and current work on warehouse & Hawrelak park nearby. Seems like this project was pushed aside in favour of council wanting to explore the urban national park route although that process shouldn't preclude this from happening.

I suppose theoretically they could do both the urban national park and other things, but the city doesn't seem to have the bandwidth to do much. And not a lot seems to be happening on the former that is evident now either.

However, I always thought this was the wrong approach in further disrupting and disturbing the natural area by the river. I feel they should instead be focusing on developing/redeveloping some of the empty and underused lots in Rossdale and lest we forget the long neglected power plant and adjacent area if they want to revive this area. But, again the city doesn't seem to have the bandwidth to do much these days.

This always seemed like Iveson's pet project and vision. I think it functionally died when he left as none of the new council seemed particularly passionate about it, they just didn't kill it outright out of respect for the former mayor. Personally, not on my list of important things for the City to spend money on atm. Maybe revisit it in 10 years when LRT to Castle Downs, BRT, Warehouse, Blatchford, Exhibition Lands, Rossdale, and the Quarters are figured out.

The city has Warehouse Park under construction. Spending on something like this wouldn't make sense if you consider the tradeoffs. Right now, the infrastructure priority in the core should be renewed sidewalks everywhere, many more trees, narrower car lanes (especially in the warehouse district), perfectly paved car and bike lanes. The CBD should be attractive to visitors and locals on foot first.

Even Imagine Jasper Ave has done alot to make the completed sections more inviting. Better execution elsewhere will help alot.

The city has Warehouse Park under construction. Spending on something like this wouldn't make sense if you consider the tradeoffs. Right now, the infrastructure priority in the core should be renewed sidewalks everywhere, many more trees, narrower car lanes (especially in the warehouse district), perfectly paved car and bike lanes. The CBD should be attractive to visitors and locals on foot first.

Even Imagine Jasper Ave has done alot to make the completed sections more inviting. Better execution elsewhere will help alot.
Agreed. I would love to see something like this done. But it’s not a priority until jasper ave is done. Repave the bad MUP sections then revisit with hopefully a better design in 10 years.

At least the ball diamond is still being used and has not been sitting empty for years and years like the power plant. At some point as a city we need to get off our butts and do things and quit making various excuses for why nothing happens. Until we do, things will not improve.
Agreed, but I think we are all aware of the future of the Rossdale power house, standard city, let the roof leak, equals mould, equals demolition...

The City Of Edmonton should strongly consider allowing the Feds to designate and develop the river valley into a national park. The federal government has the resources to develop the valley into something well beyond what the city can do alone. Canadian national parks carry considerable prestige around the world and a designation alone would elevate the city's reputation and attract tourists to the city. Capitalize on the city's prime landscape and laid back feel. Lunch on the patio at the Hotel Macdonald and taking in the view of the river valley isn't that much different than sitting on the patio at the Banff Springs Hotel. Do the year round spa in the valley. Do an aquarium within walking distance of the convention center ( lots of inexpensive land in Boyle to get that area going). A national park on the city's downtown doorstep could kick start more of a tourist and residence related down town economy as opposed to an office high rise economy which Edmonton has trouble attracting and which is also on the decline in many North American cities.

Back