News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I checked with city hall a few years ago and there are currently no by-laws on the books protecting the views from the CN Tower. It will be interesting to see if that changes in the future because without the view, the tower doesn't have much going for it.

You could safely build 800/900 feet around CN without blocking much.... I think it will look better in the mix of things, plus it should emphasize its height not diminish it. Space needle way north of downtown, forces all these shots of Seattle from that view with SN forced in the foreground.
Last I love the shots of CN from East of downtown, where you see it pop up behind Scotia, CCW, TD and the rest. It looks so science fiction!

Not that it would be allowed to happen - but I would not want to see a bunch a super tall towers built around the base of the CN Tower as they would diminish the view OF the Tower (not so much FROM the tower).

The CN Tower is to Toronto as the Empire State Building is to New York. It should be allowed to stand proudly on its own and not be crowded by other buildings.

This is already a problem with our skyline where our tallest (1st Can) and best (TD Centre) buildings are crowded in by other lesser buildings. It is different in Chicago, for example, where their tallest and best buildings can be viewed from top to bottom.

No one needs to see the bottom 500 feet of the CN tower, It looks better with Ritz encroaching than it ever has. This is NO Empire State,... not even in the cache dept. It might be a landmark, and I love her,... but it looks better as a "Bladerunner" type landmark, and will be fine in a sea of 500 to 850 foot towers.:cool:

No one needs to see the bottom 500 feet of the CN tower, It looks better with Ritz encroaching than it ever has. This is NO Empire State,... not even in the cache dept. It might be a landmark, and I love her,... but it looks better as a "Bladerunner" type landmark, and will be fine in a sea of 500 to 850 foot towers.:cool:

The CN Tower is no Empire State. It's our modern Eiffel Tower. It's not just some building, but an elegant and distinctive landmark from top to bottom. Empire State is a building on a skyline, an iconic building to be sure; but the CN Tower is like a fine sculpture. The elegant rise and distinct "tripod" architecture are integral to this great Canadian landmark.

I'm a little disappointed that the Shangri-La will cover the view of Osgoode Hall from the CN Tower.

There are no super-talls even on the books, let alone near the tower. Let the city grow organically, we have to many restrictions now for building highrises downtown, we don't need any more.

Well unless someone is planning to put a 58 storey condo on top of the Roundhouse, the Convention Centre or the Rogers Centre any time soon, nothing is going to get any closer than 300 Front, which is slightly closer than the Ritz-Carlton based on it being on the north side of Front at John, while Ritz's south face is about where the north face of 300 Front will be. However if someone wants to replace that white RBC building and the early '80s pioneer on Front next to it, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

There are no super-talls even on the books, let alone near the tower. Let the city grow organically, we have to many restrictions now for building highrises downtown, we don't need any more.

Which of the current regulations do you object to: heritage preservation, view corridor sensitivity, section 37 money, height restrictions specific to local context, mixed-use planning models? All of these things are critical to have a great city. We need to have a vision for our city, one of sophistication, defended with passion. Organic growth sounds nice, but in reality may be chaotic.

Back