News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

A news article came up today about the Sunshine Village long range plan being out for public review and it got me thinking about Marmot Basin. Back around 2015 there was mention that a long range plan that would include the Knob Chair replacement would be completed but first wildlife studies would need to be completed. Those studies I believe are long since completed but I haven't heard any news about developing a new long range plan. In my opinion, a new Knob Chair is long past due and it would be great to have a lift go from the mid mountain lodge to the top of the ridge and fill out the area available for skiing. Does anyone have any information if anything is happening in the background to put forth a new long range plan?

A news article came up today about the Sunshine Village long range plan being out for public review and it got me thinking about Marmot Basin. Back around 2015 there was mention that a long range plan that would include the Knob Chair replacement would be completed but first wildlife studies would need to be completed. Those studies I believe are long since completed but I haven't heard any news about developing a new long range plan. In my opinion, a new Knob Chair is long past due and it would be great to have a lift go from the mid mountain lodge to the top of the ridge and fill out the area available for skiing. Does anyone have any information if anything is happening in the background to put forth a new long range plan?

From the Marmot Basin Area Site Guidelines (updated 2017) on Parks Canada's page:

"Marmot Basin has proposed a substantial leasehold reconfiguration that would result in the removal of the Whistlers Creek bed area and surrounding up-slopes, to the extent shown on Map 1, from the ski area leasehold in exchange for consideration of potential initiatives that would be exceptions to the Ski Area Management Guidelines. The proposed lease reduction (approximately 18% overall) will provide greater certainty that Whistlers Creek bed and surrounding up-slopes will remain undeveloped. As such, it will provide greater long-term protection of ecological integrity in that portion of Whistlers Creek than would be the case if the area remained in the lease, including enhanced protection of valuable caribou habitat and enhanced protection of an important goat mineral lick. This improved level of long-term certainty and protection is considered a substantial environmental gain that will contribute meaningfully to Parks Canada's objective of maintaining or improving ecological integrity in Jasper National Park.

In exchange for this voluntary lease reduction, Parks Canada is prepared to consider the following potential future initiatives as exceptions to the Ski Area Management Guidelines: expansion of the Developed Area; extension of the Knob Chairlift outside of the existing Developed Area; significant terrain modification for a realigned Knob Chairlift if alternatives prove impractical; development of a new beginner ski area and Nordic ski trails outside of the existing lease boundary; terrain modification to support the development of a terrain park and mid mountain reservoir; the development of a skier egress from the Tres Hombres off-piste area; and the development of a new ticket and group sales building in one of the parking lots.

The ski area also wishes to pursue the development of ski lifts in the Tres Hombres and Outer Limits areas. Because the potential impact of development in these areas is not well understood, a decision on whether to potentially consider lifts in these areas will only be made upon completion of a caribou risk assessment. At a minimum, off-piste skiing can continue."

You're probably right - the assessments should be completed by now.. I'll dig a little.

Update: https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/calls-f...?autoPlay=true?autoPlay=true?contactForm=true

I wish Jasper would have public transit like Roam in Banff and Canmore.
The current private options up to Marmot Basin are incredibly confusing. Maligne also also has SO much potential (and need - had a few case this summer of drivers stopping dangerously to take photos of roadside animals). Edith Cavell too? Or even just connections to the campgrounds!!

Roam is not only sporting a new net zero carbon garage, but working to create the lowest GHG fleet out there and looking at FREE* transit for Banff.
Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 11.28.28 PM.png

Parks Canada is the Development Authority (same as Banff) and runs the show thru and thru.

1. They certainly could improve things from say Hazel to Elm and especially around the main plaza/square.

2. There is not a real appetite to expand the municipal boundary or increase the population due to environmental impact reasons.

You can read/learn more here:

Unfortunate as I think a modest amount of further development would enhance the town's appeal and actually bring more people closer with nature.

From the Marmot Basin Area Site Guidelines (updated 2017) on Parks Canada's page:

"Marmot Basin has proposed a substantial leasehold reconfiguration that would result in the removal of the Whistlers Creek bed area and surrounding up-slopes, to the extent shown on Map 1, from the ski area leasehold in exchange for consideration of potential initiatives that would be exceptions to the Ski Area Management Guidelines. The proposed lease reduction (approximately 18% overall) will provide greater certainty that Whistlers Creek bed and surrounding up-slopes will remain undeveloped. As such, it will provide greater long-term protection of ecological integrity in that portion of Whistlers Creek than would be the case if the area remained in the lease, including enhanced protection of valuable caribou habitat and enhanced protection of an important goat mineral lick. This improved level of long-term certainty and protection is considered a substantial environmental gain that will contribute meaningfully to Parks Canada's objective of maintaining or improving ecological integrity in Jasper National Park.

In exchange for this voluntary lease reduction, Parks Canada is prepared to consider the following potential future initiatives as exceptions to the Ski Area Management Guidelines: expansion of the Developed Area; extension of the Knob Chairlift outside of the existing Developed Area; significant terrain modification for a realigned Knob Chairlift if alternatives prove impractical; development of a new beginner ski area and Nordic ski trails outside of the existing lease boundary; terrain modification to support the development of a terrain park and mid mountain reservoir; the development of a skier egress from the Tres Hombres off-piste area; and the development of a new ticket and group sales building in one of the parking lots.

The ski area also wishes to pursue the development of ski lifts in the Tres Hombres and Outer Limits areas. Because the potential impact of development in these areas is not well understood, a decision on whether to potentially consider lifts in these areas will only be made upon completion of a caribou risk assessment. At a minimum, off-piste skiing can continue."

You're probably right - the assessments should be completed by now.. I'll dig a little.

Update: https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/calls-for-change-to-protect-jasper-national-park-s-caribou-1.5146050?cache=?clipId=89680?ot=AjaxLayout?ot=AjaxLayout?autoPlay=true?autoPlay=true?autoPlay=true?contactForm=true?contactForm=true?contactForm=true?autoPlay=true?autoPlay=true?contactForm=true

Stuff is happening on the Knob Chair Replacement. Environmental Assessment in the works. https://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/evaluations/proj/84055

But the peak hike is a right of passage and uncertainty if you will make it up alive on the knob is part of the thrill.

Back