News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

No, we don't. I suspect the officer you pictured there was working a construction zone and was shooing people away from the site, whereas the photo I posted shows an NYPD Traffic Officer, who are officers dedicated *solely* to traffic duty and nothing else. In New York, they wear different uniforms than regular officers (light blue shirts, white-topped hats, white gloves) and are unarmed. The equivalent would be to have Parking Enforcement officers at intersections like Queen and Bay blowing whistles, directing traffic, and writing tickets, nothing else. This contingent of officers in New York also has its own cars and scooter-like vehicles emblazoned with "Traffic" on the sides. We have no equivalent here, and we should.

No, we don't. I suspect the officer you pictured there was working a construction zone and was shooing people away from the site, whereas the photo I posted shows an NYPD Traffic Officer, who are officers dedicated *solely* to traffic duty and nothing else.
You don't know that. I can see where you sourced that from, and there's no indication of why he's doing, other than the construction pylon on the road in the photo - which would suggest that his presence is also related to construction.

In New York, they wear different uniforms than regular officers (light blue shirts, white-topped hats, white gloves) and are unarmed. The equivalent would be to have Parking Enforcement officers at intersections like Queen and Bay blowing whistles, directing traffic, and writing tickets, nothing else. This contingent of officers in New York also has its own cars and scooter-like vehicles emblazoned with "Traffic" on the sides. We have no equivalent here, and we should.
Something like this would be useful. I can't say I've actually seen such officers while walking or driving in New York City. I've seen plenty of police officers on the street though, walking ... and they have guns.

Though when you read the mandate of the Toronto Police Parking Enforcement Unit - http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/parking/ I don't see any difference between what you describe in New York, and the mandate here. We simply have to change their direction a bit.

You don't know that.

I do know that. 22 trips to New York since 1998, plus:

Traffic_Division_Logo.png

10696823615_70c779d8f4_n.jpg

4217424578_29ea5a0a99.jpg

Attachments

• Traffic_Division_Logo.png
    Traffic_Division_Logo.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 814
  • 08-0720-003.jpg
    08-0720-003.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 413
  • 30768-1355575736-GTAIV2012-12-1515-54-41-593.jpg
    30768-1355575736-GTAIV2012-12-1515-54-41-593.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 389
  • 10696823615_70c779d8f4_n.jpg
    10696823615_70c779d8f4_n.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 525
  • 3663929678_2a75f1cc93.jpg
    3663929678_2a75f1cc93.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 530
  • 4217424578_29ea5a0a99.jpg
    4217424578_29ea5a0a99.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Reducing congestion big picture, no of course it won't, but that doesn't mean we should allow one delivery truck to block half of a major road illegally.

Of course we should allow it. Where else are truck drivers going to get their Tim Hortons? Gosh, stop oppressing my freedom.

A lot of the larger American cities use traffic police. They don't make as much money as a regular police officer. it's impossible not to notice the traffic cops in NY. They have them at just about every major intersection.

I would rather see our police officers with the training and skills do something other than standing around at construction sites or directing traffic at $65 dollars an hour.

I do know that.
I was referring to what that police officer was doing. Doesn't everyone know that about New York City?

22 trips to New York since 1998 ...
... but whose counting.

it's impossible not to notice the traffic cops in NY. They have them at just about every major intersection.
And yet I've seldom noticed one, hmm, except perhaps around Central Park, or a couple of tourist areas. Certainly not while I'm driving, or walking in the Bronx or Brooklyn.

Last edited:
I don't think you're that likely to see police officers enforcing anything. If you're within a block of a station you'll see some coming and going, and you'll see them out working their paid-duty scam, but otherwise I could go a whole day doing my thing in different parts of the city and hardly see a cop at work. Contrast that with the TTC, which has a similar budget hit to the city. Even though much of their work is happening underground, can't walk about the city without seeing TTC employees, in their buses and their streetcars, all day.

Last edited:
I see on duty cops all the time. Maybe not as many as I see TTC workers, but mind you the TTCs budget is also much larger. (They just happen to get 70% of it back from fares unlike the police)

I don't think you're that likely to see police officers enforcing anything. If you're within a block of a station you'll see some coming and going, and you'll see them out working their paid-duty scam, but otherwise I could go a whole day doing my thing in different parts of the city and hardly see a cop at work. Contrast that with the TTC, which has a similar budget hit to the city. Even though much of their work is happening underground, can't walk about the city without seeing TTC employees, in their buses and their streetcars, all day.

I see on duty cops all the time. Maybe not as many as I see TTC workers, but mind you the TTCs budget is also much larger. (They just happen to get 70% of it back from fares unlike the police)

The lack of police in Toronto is also something I've noted. I regularly go days without seeing police in this city.

The lack of police in Toronto is also something I've noted. I regularly go days without seeing police in this city.
We actually have a large number of police - you must be looking in the wrong places. Most are working on construction sites (private duty) or are hanging around at fast food restaurants.

Unless its Caribana, there there's 3-5 cops every block on Yonge. At Yonge-Eg I mainly see them doing something construction related, supervising the closure of a road/sidewalk for construction.

I don't think a weekday passes when I go to work that I don't see them, somewhere along my commute. Sometimes they even get on the streetcar with me. Stopped at the ATM on my way home, and I thought the cop was following me ... turns out he was just doing his banking.

Back