News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

While everyone is so focused on using the river valley, we seem to be leaving out the most logical answer: high-speed ferries on the Don River :p
Korean_Ferry_Sewol_Capsized,_2014.jpg

Attachments

• Korean_Ferry_Sewol_Capsized,_2014.jpg
    Korean_Ferry_Sewol_Capsized,_2014.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 472
For whatever reason people in Toronto think the only way to build transit is inside tunnels. God forbid you have surface or even elevated rail anywhere. I don't understand the attitude at all, tunneling into York region seems utterly moronic to me.

I don't think that's true. Scarberians pushed the S/LRT to be elevated at Centennial during EA. During detail design, Black Creek was pushed from on street to elevated. The most popular part of the SRT is the elevated portion at SRT. During the Ford-McGuinty compromise, there were no concerns about the elevated or at-grade (but grade-separated) parts.

It is planners who do not give elevated as an option because they are afraid it will be accepted.

Elevated shadows what it passes by and noise from it carries further. It's not like it's opposed for no reason.

It is planners who do not give elevated as an option because they are afraid it will be accepted.

I agree with P23, but I believe your post as well. The noise issue is definitely a concern. But IMO this is why state of good repair is very important. Open air and elevated sections can be kept quiet. But if there's no effort to acknowledge deteriorating track because the focus is on using scarce capital for vanity projects and all-underground solutions, then the whole thing is a wash. Elevated can work, and it does work - it's just not brought up for fear of reprisal.

Somewhat related; but we're in the processes of studying SmartTrack and its proposal to put high-frequency RER and stations cantilevered above Queen and Gerrard (through a section which very much is elevated). As is the multitude of bridges involved across the city. If the consensus against elevated rail holds true, then we may as well forget about much of ST and GO RER.

Elevated shadows what it passes by and noise from it carries further. It's not like it's opposed for no reason.

The shadow is barely wider than a train, and I guarantee you the highway is louder. Besides, do you want to pay billions more just so you don't see or hear a metro line?

Back