News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The comparison of public parks in Toronto with that one park in Paris is misleading; The "park" forms part of the grounds of the museum, and is therefore only open to the paying public, and closes after 6:45. For this reason, it's not really a park at all, but part of a private space within the Museum.

If I recally correctly, most Parisian parks contain what seems to me like acres and acres of gravel - they seem inordinantly fond of it. Though they are tidy enough.

The point stands, however, that our parks in Toronto need more TLC.

It's not misleading at all. I said that the Musee Rodin Garden is the museum itself and requires payment (Mind you, it's something like €5 which isn't that bad for such a fantastic place). Obviously the situations are slightly different, but a a one or two dollar increase in the price of entrance at the AGO could subsidize some of the maintenance costs (I don't have any figures, perhaps it would take a lot more than one or two dollars, but it's an option that would go well with taxdollars from the city).

I have to admit, I was pretty surprised by the Parisian love of gravel. You go to the Eiffel Tower, Les Invalides and Napoleon's Tomb and the Louvre and everything is gravel. I expected it to be paved to perfection.

UrbanShocker said:
I believe that the Music Garden is one of the featured gardens that the city supports at a higher financial level. There's funding for the music concerts that take place there too. The apparent "wildness" of the Garden is pure artifice, the result of careful maintenance of the many and varied plantings that have matured over the years.

I walk past the music garden every day on my way to work. It's the only park in Toronto that I would take someone from out of town to. It's ability to look both planned and untamed makes it one of the standout elements of the waterfront. If only you didn't have to look at decrepit malting silos while enjoying it. Toronto really could use more featured gardens and less of the "oh, there's grass, that's good enough"

I think the main thing is that the AGO is transforming into something great. It's only feating that it be surrounded by something fantastic as well.

They were mocking up the interior signage today. Can't say I liked it; the bilingual thing forced all the signage to be way too big and obtrusive, and they really went overboard with the donor naming thing (it seemed like every flat surface in sight had a donor's name on it, the So-and-so ramp, the Whoever Staircase, etc). The final signage may very well be completely different tho, so who knows.

Not that my opinion would count for such things, but I actually kind of wish they did away with the signage altogether.

I recently noticed a trend in NY Commercial galleries not posting any signage. Initially I found it distracting and a bit annoying but after the initial shock I realised the space look overall cleaner and you could interact with the art a little easier. Unfortunately I don't think the AGO (or any other large institution) would have the guts to take this direction--people are just so trained to search for artist names they recognize. I know I find myself doing this. It would be a refreshing experiment to see no labeling (just say, have them on a chart near each gallery entrance) in a big gallery. I doubt we would see it in Toronto where art still has to justify itself to the population--especially contemporary art. Maybe one day.

The comparison of public parks in Toronto with that one park in Paris is misleading; The "park" forms part of the grounds of the museum, and is therefore only open to the paying public, and closes after 6:45. For this reason, it's not really a park at all, but part of a private space within the Museum.

If I recally correctly, most Parisian parks contain what seems to me like acres and acres of gravel - they seem inordinantly fond of it. Though they are tidy enough.

The point stands, however, that our parks in Toronto need more TLC.

I guess the French example given above is more of a private garden than a park. Maybe the AGO should really consider adding gardens as part of their overall package: art gallery, heritage house, gardens. Could be quite a draw if done well.

A better option over French Gardens might to getting Gehry to tackle landscape architecture and design something that goes well with the eclectic architecture in the area.

AoD

Not that my opinion would count for such things, but I actually kind of wish they did away with the signage altogether.

Personally I wouldn't visit an art gallery or museum that doesn't attach signage to its show pieces. I like associating what I look at with the name of the person who made it... just out of curiosity. (If I still remember the name of the artist when I walk out of the gallery, which I rarely do, chances are I will look up that person on Wikipedia.)

Sorry, if it wasn't clear I wasn't talking about the little identifying plaques, I meant the wayfinding signage, as well as the signs indicating the donors for everything in the building (ie; the massive signs all over the place that point to the European Room, or the Native Canadian room, or the AGO Community and Volunteers Ramp and Information Desk).

I find when I visit a museum there's usually some things that interest me and other things that don't, so I like having a map and wayfinding signage to tell me where to find the stuff I want to see. For art galleries I tend to prefer wandering and exploring tho, just taking my time and sort of meandering along through the collection, so the wayfinding signage is largely irrelevant to me (other than maybe directions to the washrooms and exits). That's why I'd be just as happy to see the signage eliminated, especially if it's creating visual clutter (which it is, at the moment, especially with things like the redundant "European Room / Salle Europeen" written out in massive letters)

The 'visual clutter' may be of no use to you, but it's not redundant.
There is no European Room. Galleries are named for the people that donate money for them. Without donors there would be no museum.
Visitors that want to do more than wander need wayfinding to get to the sections that interest them, especially in such a big building. I don't think it's possible to have a public building without wayfinding.

Like I said, my opinion doesn't count for such things so don't worry, I'm sure the signage will stay, and probably exactly as is.

I didn't think there was a European room, I tossed it out to show what I feel is redundant, posting nearly identical renderings of a title because of the bilingual thing. I'm sure any literate Francophone could figure out "European Room", just as any literate Anglophone could figure out "Salle Europeen"

Re: the donors. Fine, if the only way donors can be obtained is to publicly recognize them by putting their names all over everything then I guess that's what needs to be done. Visually, however, it does clutter up the appearance of things to have the markers all over the place, and it's unfortunate.

I also don't disagree that some level of wayfinding is necessary in a public building, it's just a question of how much and where. Like I said, in galleries I'm a wanderer so I don't need or want anything beyond minimal directions. It could be that I'm a freak and I'm the only one in the entire world that likes to wander. I don't know for sure. I've never asked anyone else about their gallery ambulation style.

How about a "European Heritage Room". Then all the Paul Fromm and Ernst Zundel types'll be happy

Back to Grange Park:
I don't think the AGO owns a Moore sculpure as dynamic as this and Grange Park is now Kew, but still, this (kind of idea) would be great in the park.
image.jpg

Source: http://www.timeout.com/london/museu...t-kew-gardens.html?DCMP=EMC-London-27-03-2008

A better option over French Gardens might to getting Gehry to tackle landscape architecture and design something that goes well with the eclectic architecture in the area.

Absolutely! I think 'french' in terms of a highly stylized approach and formal aesthetic in contrast to the naturalistic, 'please walk on the grass' approach usually in favour in Toronto, but the style could be very modern. Or how about a reinterpretation of classical formality in a language of modern minimalism? The similarities are there, and it would be a nice garden compliment to Grange House and the Gehry addition, as well as to all types of statuary/fountains etc that could be displayed in the garden.

Lets get the AGO on the phone, they should know about this!! :)

Tewder:

I think Gehry (or is it Alsop?) will be designing the parkette which is now a parking lot currently used by AGO, right beside OCAD. That said, there should definitely be some sort of masterplan for the Grange Park. It's a sad, sad sight right now.

And gawd, someone please go and tear down that awful Uno Prii building.

AoD

Tewder:

I think Gehry (or is it Alsop?) will be designing the parkette which is now a parking lot currently used by AGO, right beside OCAD. That said, there should definitely be some sort of masterplan for the Grange Park. It's a sad, sad sight right now.

And gawd, someone please go and tear down that awful Uno Prii building.

AoD
It was in Alsop's original plan to have the OCAD parking (and it is OCAD's, not AGO parking) put underground. I believe AGO's parking is between the two buildings. I've sent AGO a question to either confirm or deny the rumour that they are going to fund the completion of (this part of) Alsop's vision. I really hope this rumour is true. I'll post the reply when I get it.

Back