News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
with the implosion of Giambrione (I believe the next job lost will be his TTC position), I believe Transit City is in doubt now. It could be destroyed. Maybe there is hope for BRT after all.

If Transit City were replaced with just BRT, that'd be even worse than Transit City.

if transit city dies, i think it will be a long time before anything else as significant happens. it is likely that some routes which are proposed for LRT might not see significant transit expansion at LRT level or above for the next 100 years.

we might get eglinton which might be converted to full subway but i wonder how that would effect the completion date?

If Transit City were replaced with just BRT, that'd be even worse than Transit City.

Agree.

There are many arteries in Toronto where short but strategically placed queue-jump lines for buses would be helpful.

However, there is only a limited number of places where full-scale BRT is warranted while LRT is not.

if transit city dies, i think it will be a long time before anything else as significant happens. it is likely that some routes which are proposed for LRT might not see significant transit expansion at LRT level or above for the next 100 years.

we might get eglinton which might be converted to full subway but i wonder how that would effect the completion date?

100 years? Okay that's a large exaggeration. How many governments will we go through in 100 years?

If Transit City dies at the hand of a mayor who wants to kill transit expansion, then yeah it'll be a few years before any progress is made again. But by the time the next mayor comes, in what, 2014, the Conservatives will be long gone from federal office, the recession will probably be over, and traffic in the GTA will be getting even worse.

I'm sure people will be screaming for subways by then ;)

But by the time the next mayor comes, in what, 2014, the Conservatives will be long gone from federal office, the recession will probably be over...

In 2014 we will be just on the cusp of entering the next recession (7 to 9 year cycle). It will certainly hit before the EA is completed and funding is secured assumming a vote to start an EA occurs in late 2014.

In 2014 we will be just on the cusp of entering the next recession (7 to 9 year cycle). It will certainly hit before the EA is completed and funding is secured assumming a vote to start an EA occurs in late 2014.

Entering the next recession? This one isn't even finished yet!

100 years? Okay that's a large exaggeration. How many governments will we go through in 100 years?

If Transit City dies at the hand of a mayor who wants to kill transit expansion, then yeah it'll be a few years before any progress is made again. But by the time the next mayor comes, in what, 2014, the Conservatives will be long gone from federal office, the recession will probably be over, and traffic in the GTA will be getting even worse.

I'm sure people will be screaming for subways by then ;)

if transit city is cancelled, it will be a slim chance that we'll get another mayor who would build middle of the road LRTs with underground sections where ROWs are narrow. do you think a street like jane street will get a full subway anytime soon? even if we did get a mayor who would propose such a thing, it would probably be cancelled in the next bust in the name of fiscal conservatism.

Giambrone not being in the race may turn out to be a good thing for TC. It no longer needs to be "Giambrone's plan" which was forcing other candidates to come up with their own unique vision.

Smitherman seems quietly pro-TC so I'm not too concerned.

if transit city is cancelled, it will be a slim chance that we'll get another mayor who would build middle of the road LRTs with underground sections where ROWs are narrow. do you think a street like jane street will get a full subway anytime soon? even if we did get a mayor who would propose such a thing, it would probably be cancelled in the next bust in the name of fiscal conservatism.

Given your line of reasoning, nothing will ever get built in this city, ever.

Metrolinx (AKA The Province of Ontario) is paying for and constructing the Transit City line, not the TTC. The TTC is providing the knowhow.

Given your line of reasoning, nothing will ever get built in this city, ever.

did i say that nothing will be built ever? don't blow my words out of proportion. i was talking about a specific route.

Metrolinx (AKA The Province of Ontario) is paying for and constructing the Transit City line, not the TTC. The TTC is providing the knowhow.

is it possible for a future mayor to get the province to change its mind? is it impossible for any TC routes to be undone and have their funds be used elsewhere?

personally, the only changes i would want to TC are upgrades. i fear the possibility of downgrades. it's depressing to wait for improvements for so many years and then not have them happen or have them delayed for decades.

Last edited:
Considering the last 30 years of history, saying "Nothing will get built in [Toronto], period" isn't that outlandish. It's kind of the status quo.

I am perpetual optimist. And I really think that we've reached a point where gridlock is economically damagin enough that investment in transit is no longer an option. Road expansion within the 416 is also not very feasible or if feasible, it's not cheap. So transit does not look so bad anymore.

Back