News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Yeah right. Instead they'll ask for a report which will come back stuffed with 100 CYA reasons and that will be the end of it.

If that's the case, then it says they didn't want it turned on.

How hard a politician fights for something is usually an indication of how strongly they believe in it.

The problem is that, even if it were turned on, the "transit priority" on Spadina still sucks. It's the same system that they're using on Queens Quay. The only difference will be that streetcars won't have to wait for left-turners, and the lights might be held for a few seconds if a car's approaching. That's it.

If these new lines are going to be better than billion dollar bus routes, they're going to need real, total transit priority of the kind that Voltz was talking about. No homemade TTC technology from the 70s. I'm talking about off-the-shelf solutions that are proven to work all across Europe. The kinds of systems that will track trains and set signals well in advance so that vehicles can stay on schedule and never have to stop at a red light.

Indeed. I made a post a while back explaining why if transit priority signalling was activated on Spadina it would have no effect on reliability. It would only have the potential to reduce travel times, it would have no effect on the spacing of vehicles. And I'm not even sure if the TTC would care about reduced travel times, I've been on many a 510 streetcar that drove down the line at a crawl.

Oh they crawl along all the time. They routinely go slow to deliberately miss a light, even though there's nothing in front of them and the lights take forever. You can have all the signal priority you want, but if streetcars leave the terminal stations bunched up, it's not going to fix itself along the route.

I absolutely detest when any transit vehicle, be it bus or streetcar, deliberately goes SLOW and misses lights. How can a public TRANSIT system not care about speed? Speed is the MAJOR factor keeping people from getting out of their cars and taking public transit. It takes me 30+ minutes to get to work by bus (I have to transfer too), whereas by car it's 10-15 minutes, even at rush hour (it's against traffic though).

Sometimes (I'm assuming) they go slow to prevent bunching and stay on schedule. I was at Queen and Bathurst last night at 11 pm, and I saw no less than FOUR ALRV's, one behind the other, sitting at the traffic light, all heading west, and a fifth one showed up going the same way two minutes later. Unbelievable.

I absolutely detest when any transit vehicle, be it bus or streetcar, deliberately goes SLOW and misses lights. How can a public TRANSIT system not care about speed? Speed is the MAJOR factor keeping people from getting out of their cars and taking public transit. It takes me 30+ minutes to get to work by bus (I have to transfer too), whereas by car it's 10-15 minutes, even at rush hour (it's against traffic though).

Streetcars are worst on this charge as many a bus can easily beat the lights as it changes yellow. When the 512 was replaced by buses, what was once a 10 minute wait for a eastbound from Gunns Loop suddenly became a 90 seconds frequency. I found the speed and duration of travel vastly improved from ALRV service. Especially at the St Clair West interchange. Whatever Transit City turns out to be the headways shouldn't exceed every 2-3 mins, making it highly competitive with subways speedwise.

Indeed. Even with the construction on St. Clair I've been amazed by the level of service on the 512 bus. It seems like it has a frequency of every 2-3 minutes right to end of service. There is a constant stream of buses passing through St Clair West station. It honestly seems like they've replaced every streetcar with 2 buses.

Reliability on the 512 streetcar seems to have improved, though you can still often seen 4 in the loop at St. Clair station.

Great question. I'm not entirely sure. "The Fixer" complained about perpetual leaks in one station (Islington I think) and TTCs answer was that repairs were very difficult as an underground stream ran overtop of the station.

I wonder what excuse they would come up with for Eglinton West? Its above ground and has been leaking for years.

I wonder what excuse they would come up with for Eglinton West? Its above ground and has been leaking for years.

The Eglinton West Morraine upwells water into the station.

Layers of the land, my friend. Layers of the land.

The TTC may be falling apart, but I'd still rather new infrastructure was built and worry about fixing the old stuff later. Short-sighted? Yes. But I want some progress made in my lifetime.

The TTC may be falling apart, but I'd still rather new infrastructure was built and worry about fixing the old stuff later. Short-sighted? Yes. But I want some progress made in my lifetime.

Here, here! Especially when the renos being done are completely unnecessary (station revitalizations for Museum, St Patrick, Osgoode, Pape; 'beautification' of the Cumberland portal for Bay). Several stations have exposed crumbling ceilings (Christie, Sherbourne) and stained wall tiles (Islington). Then there's the matter of leaky roofs (Eglinton West, Scarborough Centre). All that should be rectified before spending $5 million per station for knocking out perfectly functional wall tiles and columns for new ones.

The Eglinton West Morraine upwells water into the station.

To think what would of happened had they not filled in the Eglinton subway? Maybe excavating in the first place is what disturbed the water table in that area.

That was a joke about the moraine.

Tuscani & I are knee deep in a project about the Credit Valley Watershed, and the prof teaching the course is a director of the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation - so the Oak Ridges Moraine comes up alot. Dr. Pamela Robinson is also on the Metrolinx RTP Advisory Committee with me.

My apologies for my lame jokes:p

Back