5K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
@ LAZ

Just to clarify my point, now buried several pages back, when I advised you to see the wisdom in a middleground...I wasn't talking about a middleground in transit planning. I was talking about a middleground in your reaction. Your vision of the ideal and my vision of the ideal are not so far apart, yet our reactions to Transit City could barely be more contrasted.

It's probably fair to say that every one of us involved in this conversion are enthusiastic supporters of transit. We all want to see it improved. And not one of us thinks TC is perfect. But we do at least recognize that it's better than what we have now. It's not detrimental. It's funded. It's already under way. These facts cannot be argued.

Feel free to ignore this and launch your protest though. Complain until your face turns red, equate Miller to Stalin, imply massive conspiracies, write as many illogical retorts as you like...I couldn't care less. You're just making yourself look crazy.

The lone GO rail ROW has more than enough room for Lrt or subway extension of BD line and could get to UTScar relatively inexpensively. Actually that's only in other cities. Toronto and City Hall would demand it be tunnelled like all of it's other suburban routes.

Which rail line do you have in mind?

There is no rail lines near UTScar. The closest is Lakeshore East which is 2 km apart. And even if it has room for subway or LRT to run along the mainline tracks, the BD subway veers north (towards Kennedy Stn) well west of UTSC, and bringing it back to join Lakeshore East would cost a fortune.

Both of the mayoral candidates still in the run have proposed extending the Sheppard subway to Sheppard/Dufferin (or whatever Downsview/Sheppard West station will be called by then). And the front-runner has also proposed extending to Sherway Gardens.

The former has some merit ... as it's only 4 km and there doesn't seem much point in building LRT along Sheppard East. it also provides some excellent network interconnectivity, and could alow them to move trains at Wilson yards to the Yonge line, saving them having to build a new yard in Richmond Hill.

The latter ... I just don't see how the passenger demand justifies anything past East Mall ... and even that stop provides a lot more service to Mississauga than anything else ...

I agree that extending Sheppard line west to Downsview has some merit.

Regarding the westward extension of BD, it probably won't happen unless it is a part of extension into Mississauga. In the latter case, it also has some merit.

Running for the mayor of Toronto, Smitherman cannot campaign on a subway to Mississauga, but for the Province to fund it, it is probably a must.

I don't regard it as a gift horse, it is funded with my tax dollars amongst others.

Guess what, it's funded with my tax dollars too!

Does it mean I get what I want? No, it doesn't.

Would you be happy with no higher order transit on Sheppard East of Don Mills instead?

Beggers can't be choosers.

Guess what, it's funded with my tax dollars too!

Yes. And therefore, you are entitled to voice your opinion about this line, as well as other transit lines.

And so am I.

Would you be happy with no higher order transit on Sheppard East of Don Mills instead?

Did you even read my original post?

It was in favor of proceeding with SELRT.

@all - my comp died. It has two hard-drives, and just won't go beyond windows is loading. One hard-drive makes a clicking sound, it's almost surely gone. The other one might be able to be saved. Bad stuff overall, so that's why I have been away, not because I didn't want to reply. So I am not sure if I should hang around or just reply later with a bunch of stuff or what... it might be disruptive to bump back topics if you all have moved on to something else.

@all - my comp died. It has two hard-drives, and just won't go beyond windows is loading. One hard-drive makes a clicking sound, it's almost surely gone. The other one might be able to be saved. Bad stuff overall, so that's why I have been away, not because I didn't want to reply. So I am not sure if I should hang around or just reply later with a bunch of stuff or what... it might be disruptive to bump back topics if you all have moved on to something else.

That's great.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back