News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I hope that its clear that we supporters and advocates of the funded transit plans are not because we are pro-lrt and anti subway. I think its safe to say the majority of us, have been starved for better transit coverage for so long, and have seen plans, designs and funding come and go, start and stop, construction and cancelled, so many times that we were thrilled things were finally happening.

Had the eglinton and sheppard been full subways, we wouldn't be against it. But at this point, changing to subway would not only waste alot of the very limited funds spent on design, it would also add years to starting and completion, OR risk anything getting completed at all.

No matter what happens, I hope some form of rapid transit gets built. (And the underground Eglinton LRT is an excellent start.. if Ford wants to really push subways, and all the power to him, we would LOVE it if he could get it done, then he should be focusing on the DRL and leave the funded projects underway alone - he can tap into his development air-rights idea to fund the DRL)

I hope that its clear that we supporters and advocates of the funded transit plans are not because we are pro-lrt and anti subway. I think its safe to say the majority of us, have been starved for better transit coverage for so long, and have seen plans, designs and funding come and go, start and stop, construction and cancelled, so many times that we were thrilled things were finally happening.

Had the eglinton and sheppard been full subways, we wouldn't be against it. But at this point, changing to subway would not only waste alot of the very limited funds spent on design, it would also add years to starting and completion, OR risk anything getting completed at all.

No matter what happens, I hope some form of rapid transit gets built. (And the underground Eglinton LRT is an excellent start.. if Ford wants to really push subways, and all the power to him, we would LOVE it if he could get it done, then he should be focusing on the DRL and leave the funded projects underway alone - he can tap into his development air-rights idea to fund the DRL)

I somewhat agree with this. I agree that at this point cancelling projects outright is not a good idea. However, there are several projects in different phases of development that do have the opportunity to be modified, without the need for a complete re-write. For instance, I would be in favour of cutting Eglinton even further to just the tunnel, in order to re-evaluate the east and west extremities, to incorporate further grade-separation, or alternative methods (Richview corridor for example). Realistically, the tunnel is going to take much longer to build than the at-grade section, so doing a scope change on the non-tunnel portions would likely only have a minor effect on the overall timeline of the project. And if it has to be opened in 2 phases, so what? It's not like the tunnel on its own won't be very useful.

While the SELRT at this point is pretty much a given, I still think there is room for modification. The first is a spur to STC. The only place where it would impact the existing plan at at the merge/split point. Hardly a show-stopper when it comes to planning.

And like I've said earlier, the B-D extension opportunity to STC is definitely still very much alive. If Ford does anything for transit in his 1st term (aside from approving the DRL study), I hope it's this.

What you seem to be arguing is that they should make the tunneled portion subway, despite the marginal increase in capacity and speed it would provide, while basically neglecting the majority of the planned line that lies outside the tunnel.

Marginal increase? The increase is several fold in capacity.

Giving a tram to those neighborhoods is neglecting them.

That's one of the big advantages of the LRT plan rather than 'subways or nothing' - you can get high speed, high capacity running in underground sections while still being able to provide improved surface running service for a greatly reduced price.

There is only one underground section, not sections.
Some parts that are above ground are too damn slow to be acceptable. That's just how it is. Too damn slow.
If you are interested in price, go for BRT. Price is not the concern. Anti-subway is the concern.

Since forecast demand comes nowhere near justifying subway level capacity on the surface sections of the line, surely a fiscally responsible person would not demand gravy train spending to serve those areas.

Stockholm built its metro when there was close to zero demand in many sections. It proved to be very much worth the money.

They integrated development with transit, like Toronto used to do for decades, until the 1980s. So I say a big FU to all those who say "oh but the demand will not be there"... the demand can be there. Naturally, letting developers do what they want with designing new subdivisions in the praries up in newmarket or aurora is not going to be the solution. The solution is to limit where development can be done, to put it around transit. That was done in Toronto. That is why our system in Toronto grew to be as big as it is and as good as it is. This is the golden rule, and if one does not want to integrate development and transit - then they, one really ought not to be building it in the first place.

You are obviously completely dead-set in your views and proud of the fact that no amount of logic or facts to the contrary could ever dissuade you.

Same goes to the promoters of Transit City. I'm just leveling the discussion so that there can be some hardcore subway promoters. Remember, I want 100 km of subway per decade. So why not find middle ground? Oh yeah, because the tram fanatics do not want middle ground, they want their thing or nothing. They're getting that, nothing. Instead of negotiating with the people they had to be pigs and lose it all. Their fault. They did not want subways - so they lost. It's a great time, when reality hits them in their face. Now to just cancel what was begun from that insane plan.

You see, it is a prime failure to say "we're building this, FU if you have any other opinions, we're going on." That is what they did with tramsfer city. So I tell them wtf for not allowing citizen participation and for just going as fast as they can with their evil plans.

And lastly... you can get experts of any sort to support anything. The key is to integrate transit with development. Tramsfer/Tramsit City is great if one is to promote the suburban sprawl lifestyle. It's ideal for that. I say no thanks. We need serious solutions, not half planned propaganda that will ruin Toronto. In fact Toronto is not what it was in 1980, compared to other cities. We fell behind while others zipped forward. And we're still falling.

Experts wanted to ram highways after highways through cities. Remember how moses wanted to fuck up new york island with three major highways? The prick has his experts. They lucked out. Same thing in other cities, even Toronto. This is a democracy, and the beautiful thing is that if people are not happy, they can vote the pricks out. That is what happened here.

Tramsit City is much more designed for a hitler or stalin type world. There nobody asks can we may we could we what do you think? They just tell the masses, accept this, here drink your milk... I do not want such an authoritarian grip. But that is what we have in Toronto.

Marginal increase? The increase is several fold in capacity

Please calculate the peak capacity of the tunnel portion for us. You may assume you interline with a separate surface route running at surface frequencies.

5-car LRT trains are possible (stations will hold them with minor modification) and the tunnel is expected to use the same signaling as is currently being installed on Yonge.

So, 90 second headways in the tunnel with 5-car LRT and every 5 minutes a 3-car LRT.

I get ~35,000pphpd on Eglinton as 5-car LRT (more than todays Yonge line capacity) and ~45,000pphpd as 7-car Toronto Rocket.

Of course, ridership will not be anywhere close to that. Capacity constraints on Spadina and Yonge will guarantee this.

Last edited:
Please calculate the peak capacity of the tunnel portion for us. You may assume you interline with a separate surface route running at surface frequencies.

5-car LRT trains are possible (stations will hold them with minor modification) and the tunnel is expected to use the same signaling as is currently being installed on Yonge.

So, 90 second headways in the tunnel with 5-car LRT and every 5 minutes a 3-car LRT.

I get ~35,000pphpd on Eglinton as 5-car LRT and ~45,000pphpd as 7-car Toronto Rocket.

Of course, actual ridership will not approach those levels for a minimum of 50 years.

I want one to be built but LRT on Eglinton is more than acceptable for tomorrows requirements. Spadina and Yonge capacity issues will see to that, and a relief line would also relieve stress on Eglinton reducing ridership capacity requirements just as it will reduce capacity requirements on Bloor near the central portion.
I believe demand is seriously being underestimated. It will have a catchment area several times larger than Bloor. Commuters who used to go south to Bloor will now stop at Eglinton for their east-west commutes. I believe the TTC has made a major mistake with Eglinton. Not to mention the buses on the route are overcrowded and follow each other like a big snake.

I believe demand is seriously being underestimated. It will have a catchment area several times larger than Bloor. Commuters who used to go south to Bloor will now stop at Eglinton for their east-west commutes. I believe the TTC has made a major mistake with Eglinton. Not to mention the buses on the route are overcrowded and follow each other like a big snake.

I would agree with this. One think I think the TTC has not adequately prepared for in their design is the space required to do an effective bus-LRT transfer. Right now they have curbside lanes for bus unloading, so people need to walk across at least 1 set of lights (possibly two if you want to get to the platform that is kiddy-corner from where you were left off). During rush hour, this is going to lead to hoardes of people trying to cross suburban intersections at the same time. Had the LRT been built in a trench in the suburban areas, the curbside bus lanes would be directly above the LRT station, so that people could walk off the bus, down a set of stairs (or escalators, or a wheelchair elevator) and be right at platform level. No crossing intersections, and no danger of being hit by oncoming cars.

Even outside of peak periods when ridership levels are not an issue, that transfer is still going to be a pain in the ass. Maybe they took that into account in their estimates, the number of people who COULD transfer off the bus at Eglinton, but will choose to instead say "f that, I'll get off at Bloor instead".

Marginal increase? The increase is several fold in capacity.

Already disproved by poster rbt. But feel free to ignore plans for how the line will actually be operated (multi-car trains on 90 second headway in the tunnel with ATO.)

There is only one underground section, not sections.

Pardon my 's's.

Some parts that are above ground are too damn slow to be acceptable. That's just how it is. Too damn slow.

Well, one could look at the speed models the TTC used, if one were willing to briefly open their minds and not blindly assume that everything transit experts at the TTC calculate are blatantly incorrect and part of an evil scheme to screw citizens of Toronto.

I really don't see how you can definitively say you know what speeds will be since the physical setup of the line and its operation will be significantly different than the legacy system.

If you are interested in price, go for BRT. Price is not the concern. Anti-subway is the concern.

Again, thanks for reading previous posts. I'm not anti-subway. Continuing to label people as such when they have not given any evidence of being that really does your argument another big disservice.

As for BRT, try running buses in the tunnel and see how that goes. There's a reason you can run your electric table saw in your closed garage but that it's strongly recommended you don't run your car in that same closed garage.

Stockholm built its metro when there was close to zero demand in many sections. It proved to be very much worth the money.

As poster rbt pointed out, you simply are not going to be able to produce subway level demand significantly beyond what currently exists on Eglinton since you've got nowhere to send them. The majority of people are wanting to head downtown but until you do something like build the DRL, they'll just be filling up the platform at Yonge waiting for a non-existent spot on a train.

I'm just leveling the discussion so that there can be some hardcore subway promoters. Remember, I want 100 km of subway per decade. So why not find middle ground? Oh yeah, because the tram fanatics do not want middle ground, they want their thing or nothing.

Now that is just a silly, childish argument. Why don't I say that I'm hardcore for flattening all of the city and replacing buildings with parking lots, so why don't we find a middle ground and only demolish half the buildings? And again you characterize non-existent participants on this thread as 'tram fanatics' who want 'their thing or nothing' without any factual basis.

And lastly... you can get experts of any sort to support anything.

One wonders why, with your apparent extensive expertise on transit you have not offered your consulting services to the TTC or other transit operators or why none of them have tried to recruit you since you so obviously have all the answers (and presumably your idea of completely ignoring any and all facts and logic that dispute your beliefs is just the sort of attitude you ascribe to the TTC should be of great interest to them).

I believe demand is seriously being underestimated.

I don't doubt that demand to downtown is underestimated. That's not Eglinton though.

Eglinton's choke point will be at Eglinton West station and Eglinton/Yonge. There isn't capacity at either of those locations for much more than arrives there today by bus; especially if Sheppard capacity is also increased.

Do you really 50 thousand people per day taking Eglinton WITHOUT transferring onto the Yonge or Spadina line? I don't.

Lets run the numbers with a brand new Bay Express subway with stops at Eglinton, Bloor, Dundas/Queen, King/Union. It has a capacity of ~40,000 riders per direction but a large majority will be travelling in the peak direction (south in morning, north in evening).

It can add 20,000 riders at Eglinton and 20,000 at Bloor.

So, that's 10,000 per direction at Eglinton (10k from east, 10k from west). That's in addition to the normal Spadina and Yonge points.

So, 10,000pph from West to Bay express + 2500pph from West going onto Yonge (Yonge is still running at capacity) + 2500pph who are using Eglinton to go from one bus route to another bus route.

That gives us 15,000 pph for the West direction at the peak location near Yonge station.

Even with our theoretical Bay Express in the worst possible location (right at or adjacent to Eglinton/Yonge Station, the busiest expected point in the line) we still don't get past LRT capacity in the tunnel.

I'm in favour of higher-order transit on Eglinton of nearly any type, including subway and express bus. I simply don't see 6-car Toronto Rockets as being an improvement to what is already proposed and funded for Eglinton. I have very strong concerns about both delays and that we are ignoring more than half of the persons actual trip.

DRL and GO Express funding far more important but that isn't what Miller proposed either. A DRL would, in addition to relieving Bloor between Yonge and Pape and Yonge between Bloor and Queen would also relieve Eglinton between Don Mills and Yonge further reducing peak ridership on Eglinton near Yonge station.

FYI, I abstained from this election voting for a major in this election.

Last edited:
Lets run the numbers with a brand new Bay Express subway with stops at Eglinton, Bloor, Dundas/Queen, King/Union. It has a capacity of ~40,000 riders per direction but a large majority will be travelling in the peak direction (south in morning, north in evening).

It feels like people always propose Bay as the route for a new north-south subway downtown. IMHO, Yonge and University are already too close to each other, and adding a third subway line within walking distance is a waste of development potential.

Why not a Bathurst subway? Why not a Jarvis subway? A subway line down either of those would bring a lot of new areas within 500m of a subway station. The financial district can expand sideways.

It feels like people always propose Bay as the route for a new north-south subway downtown. IMHO, Yonge and University are already too close to each other, and adding a third subway line within walking distance is a waste of development potential.

Why not a Bathurst subway? Why not a Jarvis subway? A subway line down either of those would bring a lot of new areas within 500m of a subway station. The financial district can expand sideways.

I've often thought that a Parliament LRT would be a nice addition, it would give the opportunity to create a 2nd rapid transit loop around the downtown (basically an offset of the YUS loop), using Spadina on 1 side and Parliament on the other. Of course, this would need to involve heavy upgrades of the transit priority signals along Spadina. The Parliament LRT would hit St. Jamestown, as well as the new developments in Regent Park and the West Donlands (it would be the logical northern extension of the East Bayfront LRT).

Rob ford is softening on streetcars, will he allow the Eglinton LRT that remains underground to proceed?

His plan is to take all the funding for the Eglinton line to extend the Sheppard subway.

Which leaves me surprised as to why some on this forum think ford will build Eglinton as a Metro rather than LRT

I know that. I did it to inflate potential Eglinton numbers near where peak ridership will occur (around the Yonge subway line).

A Jarvis or Bathurst subway would reduce peak point ridership on Eglinton.

Sorry, that sounds rather childish.

Imagine that Ford cancels LRT and commences one or two subway projects ... by 2014, they will have barely began. Then if he loses the 2014 elections and the new mayor has a different vision, he or she can cancel those subways as well.

The whole process is broken, regardless to the relative advantages and drawbacks of subways versus LRT.

Which is why we must remove the political realm from transit planning, projects of this magnitude simply cannot be built within a politician's 4 year term.

We need to return to operational subsidies of transit agencies and leave them (hopefully transit agencies are better at transit planning than a politician) to plan the growth and expansion of the network.

His plan is to take all the funding for the Eglinton line to extend the Sheppard subway.

Which leaves me surprised as to why some on this forum think ford will build Eglinton as a Metro rather than LRT

I think most people still hold hope for Eglinton because of a few reasons. The first being that as much sense as a full Sheppard Subway might make the reality is that the SERT is already so far ahead in planning. Also an extension of the bloor line to STC or to sheppard will make the scarberians significantly happy. Really Scarborough cant get everything. The second reason is that the Eglinton LRT is the most important line of all the TC lines according to metrolinx. It has been studied since the 80's. It crosses all the boroughs including ETOBICOKE (Rob Ford Land). It just seems to make reasonable sense that this line although it might be modified in some ways still gets attention. Finally People believe in Eglinton because although Busses could be used to address finch, don mills, jane, On Eglinton the buses have been a complete failure. There isnt enough space for BRT so somethiing has to be done.

Back