News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
That is a shame. The EA is a huge resources wasting part of the process.
The old multi-year individual EA for a subway may well have been. But with the streamlined 6-month class EAs for transit projects, do you really think that's true? They move so quickly that they often have to start the work early so as to meet the quick timetable, once it has formally started.

The old multi-year individual EA for a subway may well have been. But with the streamlined 6-month class EAs for transit projects, do you really think that's true? They move so quickly that they often have to start the work early so as to meet the quick timetable, once it has formally started.

Okay I was talking about the old one, but stil 6 months is too much for me. When you annonce a project it should be shovels the next day.

Okay I was talking about the old one, but stil 6 months is too much for me. When you annonce a project it should be shovels the next day.
Uh ... it would take more than 6 months to design ... your not going to do anything more than a pre-design before it is funded ... who's going to pay for the design work?

Last edited:
Really? Everything should be done before you announce it. Design, total cost, everything.
Who is going to pay for the hundreds of millions of 100% design work then?

Doesn't really matter though ... if you do it all upfront, then announce it ... it's not like it's going to take any less time. What you are more likely to do is waste a lot of money doing detailed design on things that never get built, rather than just pre-design.

Globe and Mail's Q&A with Rob Ford. His comments and distorted view of reality make my head hurt. His incompetence and lack of grasp on how projects like this work baffle me.

Q. Your advisor Gordon Chong has said that you’ll only get 10 per cent or maybe 30 per cent private funding for the Sheppard subway. How disappointed are you?

A. I’m not disappointed at all. I’m very confident we can get a shovel in the ground this year and at the latest next year. You look at the federal government, they’ve come to the table already with $333-million, and the province has committed funding, what’s left in Eglinton and probably more. So we’ll have to go talk to the Premier again about it. The private sector’s all over it. There’s people in our office every week about this.

Q. On the provincial side, they have said they can’t hand over that money until Eglinton is done in 2020. That’s a long way off.

A. I get along well with the Premier. I don’t think he’s going to wait until 2020 to make that happen. If he does, that’s his choice, but I think we can sit down and come up with a better timeframe than that.

Q. Are you still planning on one-third each from the province, the feds and the private sector?

A. You have to have a game plan here. I use the analogy of football. Sometimes you have a plan and it’s not working out … but you still have to have a plan going in, and that’s our plan. If the province didn’t have the money and wasn’t going to help us they’d come right out and say it. They haven’t said that.

Q. They did say that didn’t they?

A. I have never heard the Premier come out and say he’s not going to fund the Sheppard subway.

Q. What about the $65-million number TTC general manager Gary Webster kicked around as the cost of cancelling Transit City?

A. I have no idea where he’s getting his number from.

Q. Metrolinx, he said.

A. You hear 15 different stories about this number and I’ve never seen the number on paper. I don’t think any of us have. I think they’re just pulling it out of thin air.

Why can't we skip the EA?

haha. best question ever.
I have read those EA reports. They have a lot of numbers and information, but they play little part in the final decision, which is usually political driven. The so called "experts" usually write whatever they are told to say by whichever interest group who pays them. It is 90% bogus and is always biased.

If all the unnecessary EAs were skipped, so many projects would already have happened at half the cost.

Have you ever even visited a post 1960's democracy?
That's not fair. I didn't know at the time the EA's were THAT important.

haha. best question ever.
I have read those EA reports. They have a lot of numbers and information, but they play little part in the final decision, which is usually political driven. The so called "experts" usually write whatever they are told to say by whichever interest group who pays them. It is 90% bogus and is always biased.

If all the unnecessary EAs were skipped, so many projects would already have happened at half the cost.

I'm saying. These thing always end up political and not to the benefit 100% of the time.

I'm saying. These thing always end up political and not to the benefit 100% of the time.

Right.
Part of my job is to provide analysis for government projects. What happens usually is, the politicians don't give a rat a$$ about what your result is. They already have an agenda, and if your report doesn't support their idea, go back and work on your numbers until it does!

Only naive people believe the EA is really about protecting the environment. The EA always supports they they are told to support. Do the EA consults/expert care more about some birds or fish or quality of water than $$$$ projects handed by the government? We taxpayers end up paying the extremely costly research/study/probe/consulting/reviews fees which do no good to anyone whatsoever.

Back