News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Subways are best used in a city with a population density of over 10,000/km2.

10,000/km²? The DRL qualifies, then :)

The Government ponied up about $12 billion, including $4 billion for the Transit City LRT. Spadina is running about $2 billion for 8 km, so 120 km would cost about $30 billion - probably a lot more by the time you by vehicles, upgrade the existing signalling system to allow for expansion, convert from 2006 dollars, etc.

Are you expecting us to believe that had TTC proposed building Transit City as subway instead of LRT, that the province would have magically had a $38 billion budget ($3.2 billion a year) instead of a $12 billion ($1 billion a year) budget?

Umm, why would the city propose two subways to Jane & Steeles, two subways to Malvern in addition to the extended RT, etc.? It wouldn't. Don't confuse the cost of running streetcars to every corner of the city with the cost of serving Toronto with appropriate transit.

Umm, why would the city propose two subways to Jane & Steeles, two subways to Malvern in addition to the extended RT, etc.? It wouldn't.
Of course it wouldn't! I was simply replying to the comment that If the TTC had proposed 120 km of subway instead of 120 km of LRT, it would still have been funded. Presumably if any one was crazy enough to propose a $50-billion, 120-km subway plan for Toronto, it wouldn't have lines in the same place as Transit City - but were way off into fantasyland here, rather than the usual meandering around the edges of it.

Don't confuse the cost of running streetcars to every corner of the city with the cost of serving Toronto with appropriate transit.
Don't pretend that TTC thinks that Transit City is the be-all and end-all of transit upgrades in next 12 years. Apparently there is plans afoot for a similiar BRT scheme on some less-major or less-suitable arteries, plans to increase frequencies across the city, and of course more rapid-transit construction in the next decade than since the 1960s. Not to mention the SuperGo, which would presumably act like an RER line (though TTC and GO have to start playing together nicely with that one ...)

AFAIC, other than the soon to be UC expansion to York and finishing up Sheppard, we never have to build another subway again.

Better to spend that money on the S-bahn/RER style service with some rapid bus or LRT routes to fill in the neighbourhood gaps.

Subways are best used in a city with a population density of over 10,000/km2. It makes sense to build them in Asian cities, in Paris, in Manhattan, etc. A city like Melbourne, which has the same density (and even looks the same, in places) as Toronto, has gotten by perfectly well without a single subway line. They rely on a combination of electric suburban rail services and streetcars with better results.

Metropolitan Melbourne has around 100 transit boardings per year, the Toronto CMA has around 180. Please don't compare them. Like American cities, Australian cities in general are much more sprawled and car-dependent than Canadian cities.

How many people live in the CBD??? 100,000??

How many live in Toronto 2.5 million???

So having the line on Eglinton would serve the entire city and would be well used.
Ummm, you are forgetting that most tourists have downtown as their destination and that the CBD is the largest employment node in the GTA. Moreover though (and as unimaginative said), there's no competition here.

but they aren't funding the queen line, or the avenue line, or the sheppard east subway, or the sheppard west extension to downsview...all proposed.

Maybe the airport as well as Etobicoke in general would benefit from an Etobicoke SRT running parallel to the 427 if not right by it, and would also serve to scoop up Mississauga routes to make for better connectivity to the Peel routes.

So they could certainly kill several birds with one stone with that one to sure make it worth while.

How many people live in the CBD??? 100,000??

How many live in Toronto 2.5 million???

So having the line on Eglinton would serve the entire city and would be well used.

For the hundredth time, it's not some kind of competition. Obviously in a world of near-unlimited funding (that is, the world of MoveOntario 2020), both the Eglinton and Downtown lines should be built.

Lordmandeep, I'm not even going to go into the problems with that statement. Anyone else should feel free.
I'll have a go at it! How many people live downtown is irrelevant since the DRL at its full length would go far beyond downtown and serve millions of people. If we're talking downtown only, we'd be talking about a DRL at its bare minimum form - 5 km or so from Union to Pape. Even that would serve well over 100,000 people who live downtown, plus 400,000 or so people who work there. Not to mention countless tourists, clubbers, shoppers, theatre-goers...... So the real question isn't how many people live downtown, but how many people the line would serve per km. A Pape to Union DRL would easily serve more people per km than an Eglinton line.

The biggest benefit to the Eglinton line seems to be that it serves the entire city. Some big problems with that:
-it doesn't. It misses most of the city centres, all of the dense neighbourhoods south of Bloor (and a lot of them north of Bloor) that sorely need mass transit, and downtown, far and away the biggest trip generator in the GTA.
-a single transit line serving the entire city isn't even a good idea. That's why cities have more than one subway line. What matters is where people are travelling and potential ridership - things that don't always follow a straight line on a map.
-a DRL at its full extent (airport to downtown to Fairview) would serve the whole city a lot better than an Eglinton line. Even at half that length it'd probably get more riders.

The Government ponied up about $12 billion, including $4 billion for the Transit City LRT. Spadina is running about $2 billion for 8 km, so 120 km would cost about $30 billion - probably a lot more by the time you by vehicles, upgrade the existing signalling system to allow for expansion, convert from 2006 dollars, etc.

Kay...you throw out a lot of figures but try and think about them. How one can extrapolate the cost of a mostly elevated and at-grade DRL from that of a totally underground (and massively overbuilt) Spadina extension is beyond me. Moreover, a DRL would also allow the subtraction of the Don Mills and Waterfront West streetcar costs, plus the cost of whatever inevitable project actually connects with the Jane and Don Mills streetcars to get people downtown rather than jamming onto B-D and Yonge.

I'm not sure where you divined $4 billion for Transit City, since its project cost is currently running around $9 billion.

Those other lines yin yang mentioned are on the peripheries of "proposed" but Sheppard East is a very serious project that was number one on the TTC's list before Giambrone/Munro got to it.

The originally-planned first phase of the DRL from Spadina to Danforth would require about 4.5 km of tunnel, plus 3km completely at grade in an established, vacant right-of-way. The latter shouldn't cost more than at most $20 million per kilometre (and that's generous), while the we can use nfitz's inflated Spadina figures of $250 million per kilometre for the tunneled portions. That's $1,125 million plus $60 million or $1,185 billion for the entire thing, roughly approximated. I'd say that's a damned good deal.

Kay...you throw out a lot of figures but try and think about them. How one can extrapolate the cost of a mostly elevated and at-grade DRL from that of a totally underground (and massively overbuilt) Spadina extension is beyond me. Moreover, a DRL would also allow the subtraction of the Don Mills and Waterfront West streetcar costs, plus the cost of whatever inevitable project actually connects with the Jane and Don Mills streetcars to get people downtown rather than jamming onto B-D and Yonge.
I never priced DRL. I simply priced 120 km of subway - without specifiying location, based on the most recent estimates. The Spadina costs are similiar to the Sheppard cost (once you account for inflation). Obviously, it's very approximate.

I was simply pulling the $4 billion for Transit City and replacing with the 2/3 of the approximately $45 billion that 120 km of subway would cost.

I'm not sure where you divined $4 billion for Transit City, since its project cost is currently running around $9 billion.
The TTC priced Transit City at $6 billion back in March 2007. These are the numbers that were around when the Ontario funded MoveOntario 2020. TTC's own website notes that "today's provincial funding announcement for the TTC's Transit City plan, providing two-thirds of the required $6 billion funding needed to complete the project. ". Obviously, a 50% bloat in the cost, is going to raise questions of how much will be built.

My whole point was simply that there aren't unlimited funds. The province committed $4 billion for LRT costed at $6 billion. A similiar length of subway is in the ballpark of $45 billion. My point - and only point, is that if Toronto has proposed 120 km of subway instead of 120 km of LRT, then it is not conceivable that Ontario would have announced $30 billion of funding last June.

The originally-planned first phase of the DRL from Spadina to Danforth would require about 4.5 km of tunnel, plus 3km completely at grade in an established, vacant right-of-way. The latter shouldn't cost more than at most $20 million per kilometre (and that's generous), while the we can use nfitz's inflated Spadina figures of $250 million per kilometre for the tunneled portions. That's $1,125 million plus $60 million or $1,185 billion for the entire thing, roughly approximated. I'd say that's a damned good deal.
I'm not 100% sure at your distances, looking at http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/subway-5113-01.gif - Church to Spadina was in a subway tunnel. And I'm not sure the right-of-way is vacant any longer, given the new yard at Cherry Street, various redevelopment proposals, and competition from SuperGo which would share the alignment from Eastern to Cherry (I think that's closer to 2 km than 3 km).

Looks like about 6 km of tunnel to me, and 2 km of surface. I really don't think $40 million will get you that surface route - including a new bridge over the Don River - but for argument's sake, let's take it. About $1.6 billlion. You'd need tail track at both Pape and/or Spadina; they put about 800 metres at Sheppard/Yonge station - so I'd assume they'd do similiar at Pape, so that would run you another $200 million or so (and I'm ignoring the service tunnels that would have to connect to the BD line - or a connection to the YUS line). So $1.8 billion?

I think this would be an excellent addition to MoveOntario 2020 - it is a bargain. Some kind of connection from Pape (or wherever) to downtown is part of the Don Mills Road Transit Improvements EA. Subway is supposed to be out of consideration, but I have a hard time seeing how you would do anything but a tunnel of some kind.

At most this is a $2 billion project. And I can see a lot of reasons it should be funded. But it's a finite amount, of similiar magnitudes to the 2 other subway lines that are funded. It would probably be a better bang for the buck than yet another subway extension in North York.

If someone can get money for this out of the Ontario government in addition to what has already been funded, then that would be great!

but they aren't funding the queen line, or the avenue line, or the sheppard east subway, or the sheppard west extension to downsview...all proposed.

Queen Line- not in serious contention since the early 1980s.

Avenue Line- as in Avenue Rd? Never heard of that.

Sheppard East- this could be decades off due to low intermediate demand.

Sheppard West-
this is a hot bed of contention because it largely viewed as a subway to nowhere. The stations would exist at Senlac, Bathurst (North) and Faywood with only Bathurst (and as such only through routes 7/160) have a large enough daily ridership to make such a line viable.

I'll have a go at it! How many people live downtown is irrelevant since the DRL at its full length would go far beyond downtown and serve millions of people. If we're talking downtown only, we'd be talking about a DRL at its bare minimum form - 5 km or so from Union to Pape. Even that would serve well over 100,000 people who live downtown, plus 400,000 or so people who work there. Not to mention countless tourists, clubbers, shoppers, theatre-goers...... So the real question isn't how many people live downtown, but how many people the line would serve per km. A Pape to Union DRL would easily serve more people per km than an Eglinton line.

-a DRL at its full extent (airport to downtown to Fairview) would serve the whole city a lot better than an Eglinton line. Even at half that length it'd probably get more riders.

I agree with alot of what you say, especially that one subway line cannot be expected to serve every hamlet out there. This is the fundemental problem of YUS, what started out as a simplistic Union-Eglinton commute is now expected to meander on into oblivion. I keep comparing Toronto's subways to metros the world over because it's puzzling why other cities have 12+ lines covering very specific nodes, at times overlapping service, while we're stuck with a handful that don't actually serve much :confused:. DRL is an ultimate case of over-indulgance~ a subway meant to a commuter rail line but isn't.

Just because there's more density downtown isn't an argument against subway-fication of the Eglinton corridor. Combined Pearson-MT-Eglinton-Don Mills and to an extent eastern Scarborough would easily rival downtown figures (approximately 250,000 ppd). That's why Eglinton's worth backing, it services more areas than even DRL can.

Of course it wouldn't! I was simply replying to the comment that If the TTC had proposed 120 km of subway instead of 120 km of LRT, it would still have been funded. Presumably if any one was crazy enough to propose a $50-billion, 120-km subway plan for Toronto, it wouldn't have lines in the same place as Transit City - but were way off into fantasyland here, rather than the usual meandering around the edges of it.

Yes, they wouldn't have proposed 120km of subway (I'll leave aside the Zimbabwesquely inflationary $50 billion estimate that seems to defy laws of economies of scale). Everyone, including you, knows that they wouldn't have proposed that much, so how does this exaggeration help your argument that they wouldn't have funded any additional projects? It doesn't. You're the one in fantasyland since everyone else is suggesting that maybe 20-30km - not 120km - of subway should/would/could have been included in MoveOntario, especially since some of these km of subway would mean spending billions less on lines like the Don Mills streetcar and the RT extension.

Of course, Transit City was an explicit declaration by the city that we do not want them. The city chose to throw decades of planning out the window and start fresh with Transfer City...it's not like the province is going to give Toronto gifts, so subways weren't included. That's the only reason, not limited funds. Toronto got literally everything it asked for, and more, including the Yonge extension and a bountiful assortment of wonderful GO improvements.

Just because there's more density downtown isn't an argument against subway-fication of the Eglinton corridor. Combined Pearson-MT-Eglinton-Don Mills and to an extent eastern Scarborough would easily rival downtown figures (approximately 250,000 ppd). That's why Eglinton's worth backing, it services more areas than even DRL can.
I'm not arguing against an Eglinton subway per se, I'm arguing that a DRL would be far more valuable and busy. You mention some nodes that would supposedly give Eglinton the advantage. Interesting idea...

Eglinton line:
-Pearson
-the whole length of Eglinton Ave
-Yonge/Eglinton node
-MT (is that Mississauga?)
-eastern Scarborough
-Don Mills Rd
-3 subway interchanges

DRL
-Downtown and the Financial District
-St. Lawrence
-West Don Lands