5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
gweed123:

Can she even do that procedurally, I wonder.

AoD

Probably, not. Steve Munro mentioned on his site that agenda for a Special meeting of the Council must be stated in the petition, and cannot be changed during the meeting.

Ironically, now it seems that Ford won't be able to stop Transit City, but his stubbornness will effectively block any possible improvements to that plan (even those that would bring the design closer to his own preferences).

Procedurally, it will be very difficult to negotiate and affirm even minor amendments to the plan when the mayor and a sizable minority of councilors are against it in principle.

I don't get it either, why isn't she bringing her plan to the council instead of the original "been-cut" Transit City plan? Ford could be stupid in not giving in to compromises, but now Stintz is just seen as playing games like a kid.

Stintz is not playing games in this situation, she just operates within the limited available options.

Her compromise plan is certainly better than Ford's plan. IMO, her plan is better than Transit City as well (although my preference would be LRT on Finch West and leaving Finch East for a later stage).

But it would be very difficult to get 24 votes behind her plan, since many councilors would push their own versions.

Procedurally, it will be very difficult to negotiate and affirm even minor amendments to the plan when the mayor and a sizable minority of councilors are against it in principle.

They'll probably have to replace or eliminate the powers of the striking committee, replace the executive committee and replace the TTC board at another special meeting.

You can whine and moan all you want but Transit City is superior and I'm confident that in a little more then 24 hours the plan will restored by City Council. So I suggest that you take the upcoming construction noise with a smile and in a little while we'll be riding in our new LRTs.

LOL you need to keep posting. This is good luck!!

I voted for TC.

But my preference would more or less be for aspects of Phase I:

-Finch West LRT Because I have always liked the idea.
-Eglinton Crosstown But trenched/elevated (not subway) for its fringes. Use all the money from the SELRT to do it.
-S(L)RT extension deeper in Scarberia It's cost effective, and RT.
and, lastly
-Get started on the DRL!

And I'll add that I'm of the opinion that Save Our Sheppard got too selfish and dug their own grave. They claimed a Sheppard extension would benefit all of Scarborough, when in actuality it only benefits the western half. Residents wanting to "save" Sheppard only really wanted to increase their property values and keep the area traffic free - with the conundrum being that the subway would require increased density, and hence increased traffic.

They took a gamble, and lost. No Sheppard extension, and no SELRT. The ridiculously outspoken SOS unfairly muffled the voices of the rest of Scarborough. I guess Save Our Sheppard now takes on a whole new meaning.

Can we not fool ourselves into calling Transit City "rapid transit" please? It's not.
Except that you are wrong, and it is. If the Transit City line from Yonge to Jane runs at 32 km/hr it is still as much rapid transit as it is if a subway runs at 30 km/hr.

What's the issue for you, speed? There are Bus Rapid Transit lines that run less than 22 km/hr. They are still called Rapid Transit.

I've explained this to you clearly in the past. I fail to see why it's still an issue.

Her compromise plan is certainly better than Ford's plan. IMO, her plan is better than Transit City as well (although my preference would be LRT on Finch West and leaving Finch East for a later stage).
Wasting $1-billion on a 2-km subway extension is a better plan than building an entire LRT line?

Except that you are wrong, and it is. If the Transit City line from Yonge to Jane runs at 32 km/hr it is still as much rapid transit as it is if a subway runs at 30 km/hr.

What's the issue for you, speed? There are Bus Rapid Transit lines that run less than 22 km/hr. They are still called Rapid Transit.

I've explained this to you clearly in the past. I fail to see why it's still an issue.

It will not be "rapid" anything if it stops every 500 meters, no matter what the normal speed is, will it?

Last edited:
You have many good luck posts, TheTigerMaster. Keep them coming.

To City Council for Wednesday: Vote for the expansive LRT, not for the self-entitled motorists and expensive subways! Vote Transit City!

Yes, Transit City may not be perfect, but it is better than many alternate plans. The best form of transit expansion is one that provides quality service to as many people at the lowest cost and Transit City delivers on these premises.

Mini-van... SUV... ? Guess its like comparing a streetcar and a light rail vehicle. I won't know the difference between a mini-van and a SUV, both waste gasoline (or diesel) to me.

Very few minivans are "Sport". More importantly, minivans are not classified as trucks.

It will not be "rapid" anything if it stops every 500 meters, who matter what the normal speed is, will it?

Those speeds include stops. You are right that the 80km/h peak speed is a meaningless number (on LRT, subway, or private vehicle at a red light).

I never said that Wednesday's vote wasn't a vote on Transit City. In fact, if stop spacing was changed I doubt that it would be brought to council. Metrolinx would probably just change the plan. Stop spacing is an engineering problem, not a political issue. However, if Council does have an issue with changes to spacing made my Metrolinx then it may be brought to council

The ideal would be to have far stop spacing in the other wards, but close in mine. Whichever councillor loses stops will complain the most and we may be in backand-forth paralysis.

You have many good luck posts, TheTigerMaster. Keep them coming.

To City Council for Wednesday: Vote for the expansive LRT, not for the self-entitled motorists and expensive subways! Vote Transit City!

Yes, Transit City may not be perfect, but it is better than many alternate plans. The best form of transit expansion is one that provides quality service to as many people at the lowest cost and Transit City delivers on these premises.

Voice your support for Transit City:

http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp

#TeamTransitCity

Back