News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

xb7p6vq.png

Someone inspired me in another thread to try something different in Scarborough. The comment was on the lines of Chow making a deal with the province to build the Scarborough subway in exchange for something else.

I drew the provincial alignment for the B-D extension, terminating at Scarborough Town Center. What I've done differently is change the route of the Sheppard East LRT, with it turning south at Brimley towards STC and built a Malvern line between STC and Malvern Town Centre, connecting Centennial College along the way.

Like this, the transfer between SELRT and B-D is kept, we go with the cheaper provincial alignment and we can connect Malvern and Centennial to boot.

This is a very interesting solution.

The only problem is the LRT yard which is planned at Sheppard and Conlins Rd.; it has no connection to either SELRT on Malvern LRT.

Of course it is possible to add connection tracks, or move the yard altogether.

But a more elegant option is to add a branch of Malvern LRT that goes along Sheppard, or first Milner and then Sheppard, connects to the yard, and ends at the Zoo.

Just google maps and some Paint.Net handiwork.

I'm glad you like it. I tried to keep the sharp turns minimal, I think the Malvern route is alright since I copied the proposed route in the EA. The SELRT will have to be underground between Brimley and STC adding to the cost, but I think it's worth it at the end. After Kennedy, there is much more development potential south of the 401 than north of it.

Can it even be tunneled underground here? There is a park and a large parking lot to work with, though there are some houses in between. Here is a closeup:

2bZsV5k.png

I think so but there will be disruption. Maybe make the turn south at Kennedy.

I think so but there will be disruption. Maybe make the turn south at Kennedy.

My preference would be to run it straight down McCowan. Avoids tunnelling and it would add the ability to put in surface stops between Sheppard and the 401, which wouldn't be economical with a tunnelled alignment.

Downtown circulator system

Not that this would ever happen, but this would be my idea for replacing the 501 (and/or) the 504 (and the 510) cars through downtown Toronto. Unlike most DRL ideas, it wouldn't be focused on poaching BD passengers, since I assume a well designed GO surface-subway system would do a good job of that (w/interchanges @ Main, Kennedy and maybe Broadview). The purpose of this system would be to provide rapid transit access all over downtown and relieve surface-subway traffic into Union station from both directions by providing new routes into downtown.

E3605we.png

The route would form a pretzel shape along Queen, bending back over itself through the Portlands and Islands then going up Spadina.

To keep stations small, close to the surface and cheaper, the system would be some form of mini-metro system with 30-40m trains, something like the Canada Line or some such.

Starting from Dundas West, the line would run down Roncessvales until turning east near Sunnyside, where there would be an interchange with surface-subway trains on the Lakeshore West line. After that it would continue with fairly tight spacing along Queen until Broadview, with interchanges for the Georgetown surface-subway services at Queen-Dufferin, itself at Spadina going Northbound, Osgoode and Queen stations, and Richmond Hill surface-subway services at River.

After Broadview, the line would curve south, intersecting Lakeshore East surface-subway services at a station serving the office area being planned for that area. Either shortly before or after this, it would then rise to the surface and run along an elevated guideway through the Portlands area (which would be designed to conceal the guideway through podiums and such). The line would then cross the Eastern Gap to Ward's Island and run around the islands, with stations at Ward's Island and Centre Island, before entering a massively redeveloped YTZ, which would be a car-free community along the lines of Harbour City.

Returning to the mainland, the route would run through the Fort York neighbourhood, before turning North again to an interchange at Spadina/Front serving both Georgetown and Lakeshore West surface-subways. Afterwards, the line would continue under Spadina under the current 510's ROW. The former median ROW then could host bike lanes as well as more extensive landscaping. The line would then terminate at the existing Spadina streetcar loop.

The most controversial part of this is probably the extensive segment serving the Islands where, for the most part, no one lives or works. During summer months though the Island ferries can see 20-30k passengers per day, and this line would surely induce even more travellers since it be much easier and quicker than schlepping to the Ferry terminal. Plus, the stations on the island could charge a double fare and still be cheaper than taking the ferry.

This kind of route layout would do more to promote local demand within downtown Toronto than most projects. Without having to worry about moving people off of the Bloor-Danforth lines, the route could focus on relieving the Union surface-subway corridor as well as local demand in the downtown core.

Last edited:
A light rail line that passes through the islands before connecting to other neighbourhoods is an idea worth pursuing when the Port Lands and airport are redeveloped.

Back