News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

To some extent, the Bloor Danforth Subway is no longer fit for purpose, because we have extended it so far out. But that is no longer something we can change, the Bloor Danforth Line is solidly within the built up area of Toronto.
I think this can be mitigated in part with fare integration and upgrading GO. Using GO from Kennedy or Kipling to get downtown, then walking or using the counterpeak direction on Line 1 would be faster than taking Line 2 across.

I think @T3G was thinking I was arguing that subways should never fulfill a local transit role. Obviously they do in the core of major cities, though the very local transit in downtown Toronto is still streetcar/bus. Many local trips can be accomplished effectively by subway, and it is needed because of the very high density of local trips. However, not every subway line should have a local transit role. When the subway is passing through a relatively less dense suburban area, we should let buses/active transportation play the local service role and have the costly transit act as regional connectivity. At the extreme end, stops would be placed 2km apart, and that is still at worst case a 15 minute walk to the nearest station, or <5 minute bike or bus ride. I don't think 5 minutes on a bus is the end of the world. Forcing people to ride a bus for 2 hours across town is where it gets to be unreasonable. People with money drive instead and people without money suffer with inadequate transit. If we're building underground, the stations are what balloon costs. Tunneling isn't all that expensive. See the YNSE price estimate of $500M to add a Cummer stop.

With high enough stop spacing and the right rolling stock/alignment, we can get average speeds up to 40, 50, even 60 kph. Vancouver achieves 40 kph average on the Expo and Millenium Lines, the latter with 17 stops over 25km (1.6km spacing). That is about 50% faster than the 28 kph Crosstown will operate at.

I'm not advocating this per se for Toronto, but Seoul is building high speed subway for regional connectivity, with about 6km stop spacing, and an average speed of 100 kph (180kph max speed). Toronto is a long way from needing this approach, but eventually this is what will be needed to knit the region together and reduce congestion, especially along the axes where we don't have surface rail alignments that can be used to play this role.

Then make the bus lanes. Make the separated bike lane network and get cars off the streets. This is something that other cities have already solved. We can keep pandering to motorists over and over at the detriment of literally everyone, or we can actually be progressive on climate change and get people out of their cars because it is necessary to solve the greatest environmental issue the world has faced so far.
That's a nice idea, but who exactly is going to push for it? The politicians we have around here don't have the spine to actually shake up the social order like that in a real way. That kind of transformative thinking does not exist in Canadian politics, at least not amongst any politicians, of either political persuasion, that actually stand a chance at being elected.

To some extent, the Bloor Danforth Subway is no longer fit for purpose, because we have extended it so far out. But that is no longer something we can change, the Bloor Danforth Line is solidly within the built up area of Toronto.

If we were building the Bloor Danforth line today, we'd absolutely cut out some of the stations because they impact the amount of people we can move.
I think you're completely off base with both of these assertions. Today, it is a 25 minute ride from Kennedy to Yonge, or a 31 minute ride from Kipling to Yonge. That is a pretty good travel time by all accounts; if you want to see services that are not fit for purpose, take a look at any surface transit route.

Having bigger stop spacing is also really bad urban planning. Which stops would you cut, exactly? Chester, perhaps, and perhaps some stations could be cut by building one station midway between the two points (i.e. Donlands-Pape), but you're building a transit line in the core of a city, you want many people to have access to it, and the closer you get to the core, the worse of an idea running buses becomes. Remember, it's not theoretically a problem for young, able-bodied people to walk a kilometre to their next stop (though they may find it extremely inconvenient, and opt not to use it if they have alternatives), or to bike, but for someone with mobility issues, this becomes an insurmountable obstacle.

But again, don't look at Toronto, that doesn't know how to do transit, as an example. Look instead at New York which does. Imagine if the only stops of the New York subway were the express stops, and the rest of the city had to get around using buses, which in New York traffic are extremely bad. Sure, it would help the people who live in the outer boroughs get into Manhattan faster, at the expense of Manhattanites everywhere. Why should some people have to significantly increase the distance they have to traverse to access their local transit stop, just so that people from the outer boroughs can shave a few minutes off their commute? That sounds extremely selfish to me.

Also, if a transit line is fast, people are more willing to travel a longer distance to get to it. So if the Eglinton Crosstown were twice as fast from cutting stations and using high floor trains, we could expect that more people would grudgingly get on the bus or bike to the nearest station.
And your source for that is where?

If people have to travel several kilometres of distance (remember, not everyone lives right on the road the line runs on) to get to their local transit stop, those with a car will tell you where you can stick your transit line, and those without a car with curse you eternally for your poor planning decisions.

Consider, perhaps, the traveller who lives at Yonge Street and Yonge Boulevard, the midway point (1.06 km) between York Mills and Lawrence (separated by 2.15 km). They have to use the 97 Yonge bus to get to their nearest station, a service which never has a (combined) frequency of greater than 30 minutes, so it is not a serious option. If you are able bodied, you can walk ~15 minutes to get to the next station and all the way back, in the time that you'd have to wait for that joke of a bus to arrive. If you have mobility challenges, or the weather is inclement, you have no alternative options. This is the kind of garbage you are stuck with while subway trains (ostensibly) run every 90 seconds not 6 meters below you. This doesn't strike me as an urban planning success story, it sounds like another flavour of the same unwalkable hostility that our suburbs are well known for.

Or, there is a secret third option: they use the car. They might get stuck in traffic and have to pay for parking, but it sure beats having to put up with the hostile conditions they would have to deal with if they used transit. This is what you want to promote?

Lakeshore GO doesn't need stops every 500m because people know that its a fast train to Union. The same logic would apply to a fast Eglinton Crosstown.
Great, and how do people get to the Lakeshore train? In Toronto, they use transit connections; in the suburbs, they drive. If neither of these options existed, yes, you'd need stops every 500 m because people would have no other way of reaching the train quickly.

that money should have been better spent on creating the best way to get across Toronto along Eglinton.
If the Crosstown was a subway, it would still be necessary to have stops close together.

20 billion dollars is not well served by ensuring that the Eglinton Crosstown is only incrementally faster than the bus it replaces (IT ONLY GOES 28KM/HR) and still gets stuck in traffic.
There is no way that this is true.

First of all, it doesn't get stuck in traffic, it has separated lanes. Second of all, there is ***no possible way*** on this earth that the Crosstown does 28 km/h. There is no transit service anywhere in the world with stops as far apart as Eglinton has that runs at speeds like that. It defies logic. It doesn't make sense on the surface section and it makes even less sense on the underground sections.

I would wager that what you are seeing is that 28 is the average speed of the service. Taken in context, 28 km/hr is not a bad figure at all - it is only marginally slower than line 1 (quoted in the TTC service summary as having an average speed of 29 km/h in the morning rush hour), or line 2 which in the morning rush hour has an average speed of 30.0 (so much for all those excess stops slowing down the service, eh?), and significantly better than either the 32 or 34 (quoted in November 2009, pre-construction, as having average speeds of 19.8 and 18.1, respectively, on their longest branches), or any streetcar line, including the ones with their own private rights-of-way. Unless the TTC is planning on running the service at horse cart speeds, the Crosstown will make travel across Eglinton significantly quicker than it was pre-construction.

We already know that people will only take transit if it is faster than driving. In fact people will only take the fastest means of transport available to them. If that means driving from A to B, they will drive. The fact that the Eglinton Crosstown will take 40 minutes to go from Kennedy to Mount Dennis, when right now I can drive from Kennedy to Mount Dennis in 30 minutes by taking the 401, means that people will continue to drive and Eglinton Crosstown will have failed at its primary goal; getting people across Toronto faster than driving.
If these are the parameters by which you are judging the success of transit, there are only a few places in the world, such as Manhattan, where transit will ever come out on top. If you measure the by transit vs the by car travel time for any longer, cross-regional (or cross-national) trip, the car will almost always come out on top. Right now, it would take me 54 minutes to drive from Union to Burlington GO, a journey that takes 1 hour 34 minutes by car. Does that mean we should discontinue the GO train and buy everyone cars instead?

Eglinton is not a suburb. It is at the core of the GTA.
Indeed, but the original post alluded to how we could've saved money on building stations and extended the route further out. The implication therefore is that people living in the city along the route should suffer from shittier transit, so that people in the suburbs, who should not be on the local transit network, can use the line as a GO train.

Local demand in the suburbs would be better served with separated bike lanes/ totally separate bike routes and encouraging everyone to go out and buy an e-bike.
Good, so we are in agreement, then, that the argument of "not everyone is going downtown" is a weak justification for projects such as Yonge North, yes?

Another advantage of a RER Mid-town service is that they serve 2 areas that have no rapid transit currently. Malvern , even aftyer Scar extension, will still have no easy access to rapid transit nor GO and Milton is the fastest growing city in Metro Toronto so demand from there will only increase and much of it will NOT be going downtown but rather to the large employment centres of Miss.

As for CN/CP, they can never forgo their rail lines and working and sharing infrastructure is absolutely impossible...........................until the gov't flashes a big, juicy cheque in front of their faces and then they have a truly miraculous change of heart. Yes, it will cost QP/Ottawa a lot to bribe CP but even a cheque of $3 billion and another $1 billion to help build the missing link would be a bargain for what Toronto would get out of it. The entire line is twin tracked and much of it is already grade separated and about half the stations needed for the route are already built.

This would be a 70km rapid transit line built for less than the 20km non-rapid transit Eglinton. What's more the system could start running immediately thru to Yonge and then eventually beyond where stations can eventually be built. The 70km should have, at the very most, 20 stations so it is a REAL rapid crosstown route.

Consider, perhaps, the traveller who lives at Yonge Street and Yonge Boulevard, the midway point (1.06 km) between York Mills and Lawrence (separated by 2.15 km). They have to use the 97 Yonge bus to get to their nearest station, a service which never has a (combined) frequency of greater than 30 minutes, so it is not a serious option. If you are able bodied, you can walk ~15 minutes to get to the next station and all the way back, in the time that you'd have to wait for that joke of a bus to arrive. If you have mobility challenges, or the weather is inclement, you have no alternative options. This is the kind of garbage you are stuck with while subway trains (ostensibly) run every 90 seconds not 6 meters below you. This doesn't strike me as an urban planning success story, it sounds like another flavour of the same unwalkable hostility that our suburbs are well known for.
I litterally had to do this when I worked at the Loblaws at Glen Echo a couple of years ago. I hated every second of that leg of the commute because it was either do a long walk from Lawrence (no way in hell am I climbing that hill at York Mills) or wait 30 minutes for the 97. I did manage to time my commute so I wasn't waiting that long useally but god help you if there was a delay and you miss the 97; hell on one occasion it never showed up.

Another advantage of a RER Mid-town service is that they serve 2 areas that have no rapid transit currently. Malvern , even aftyer Scar extension, will still have no easy access to rapid transit nor GO and Milton is the fastest growing city in Metro Toronto so demand from there will only increase and much of it will NOT be going downtown but rather to the large employment centres of Miss.

As for CN/CP, they can never forgo their rail lines and working and sharing infrastructure is absolutely impossible...........................until the gov't flashes a big, juicy cheque in front of their faces and then they have a truly miraculous change of heart. Yes, it will cost QP/Ottawa a lot to bribe CP but even a cheque of $3 billion and another $1 billion to help build the missing link would be a bargain for what Toronto would get out of it. The entire line is twin tracked and much of it is already grade separated and about half the stations needed for the route are already built.

This would be a 70km rapid transit line built for less than the 20km non-rapid transit Eglinton. What's more the system could start running immediately thru to Yonge and then eventually beyond where stations can eventually be built. The 70km should have, at the very most, 20 stations so it is a REAL rapid crosstown route.
It's also worth mentioning that it is also possible to run Midtown trains from the east, downtown to Union via the abandoned rail line connecting the Midtown and Richmond Hill Lines. The line still exists and could be reactivated and double tracked if necessary thus giving another quick connection to downtown Toronto for people coming from the north-east like Malvern if that's where they are going. The Midtown Line presents itself as not only a good crosstown route but also a way to connect North-east Scarborough (and beyond to Peterborough) to downtown Toronto via the aforementioned rail line. Then of course if the Picker Airport is ever built a spur from the midtown will connect to it which furthers the cause for not just the Midtown Line but also the connection to Union from it.

Reactions: T3G
It’s always been in the back of my mind that with a Don Valley connection to Crosstown any Pickering Airport rail link could very easily be through routed with UPX.

The problem with once you get past 1.5-2km spacing on subways is you sort of turn it into the transit equivalent of a stroad. Is it an inter-regional connector? Is it meant to take you to the grocery store? I'd like to think of the future GO RER network as the 400- series network of transit in the GTA: fast, high capacity, and it will get you across town. The subways as roads (yes, real roads): you can still use them for longer distances, but they are slower and you are able to get to it quicker. For example, you wouldn't want to take Eglinton all the way to Mississauga if you lived in Toronto, you would take the 401 or QEW. The reason Line 5 stop spacing is completely fine is because despite the crosstown name, I doubt very many people are riding the line from end to end. It's like saying line 1 is useless because it is in a U shape and no one would want to travel all the way around the U to get from one end to the other, therefore the entire line is useless. Yes, it's important to have these fast connections across the city, but it's equally important to have the type of lines that stop a little more often to provide more local utility. I agree that these lines still need to be fast though- the tech on the crosstown should have been high floor subway from day one.

The problem with once you get past 1.5-2km spacing on subways is you sort of turn it into the transit equivalent of a stroad. Is it an inter-regional connector? Is it meant to take you to the grocery store? I'd like to think of the future GO RER network as the 400- series network of transit in the GTA: fast, high capacity, and it will get you across town. The subways as roads (yes, real roads): you can still use them for longer distances, but they are slower and you are able to get to it quicker. For example, you wouldn't want to take Eglinton all the way to Mississauga if you lived in Toronto, you would take the 401 or QEW. The reason Line 5 stop spacing is completely fine is because despite the crosstown name, I doubt very many people are riding the line from end to end. It's like saying line 1 is useless because it is in a U shape and no one would want to travel all the way around the U to get from one end to the other, therefore the entire line is useless. Yes, it's important to have these fast connections across the city, but it's equally important to have the type of lines that stop a little more often to provide more local utility. I agree that these lines still need to be fast though- the tech on the crosstown should have been high floor subway from day one.
There isn't and likely won't be a cross-town GO line unless we build something grade separated (tunnel/elevated). 407 transitway is being crayoned as one option, but it is probably a bit too far north to have maximal utility. We have Lakeshore W/E, but that is just adding more pressure to Union, and it is too far south. A regional line that connects the various radial RT lines would help with network effects and increase the distance people can travel. I think TRBOT/Jonathan English had a report on how transformative regional rail can be in terms of how much ground a person can cover in a given time budget. That doesn't mean that their origin destination are stations on that line. But even being able to get from, say, Kipling to Kennedy in 25 minutes instead of 50 could open a lot more options for inter-suburban trips.

There isn't and likely won't be a cross-town GO line unless we build something grade separated (tunnel/elevated). 407 transitway is being crayoned as one option, but it is probably a bit too far north to have maximal utility. We have Lakeshore W/E, but that is just adding more pressure to Union, and it is too far south. A regional line that connects the various radial RT lines would help with network effects and increase the distance people can travel. I think TRBOT/Jonathan English had a report on how transformative regional rail can be in terms of how much ground a person can cover in a given time budget. That doesn't mean that their origin destination are stations on that line. But even being able to get from, say, Kipling to Kennedy in 25 minutes instead of 50 could open a lot more options for inter-suburban trips.

We have a potential east-west belt line just north of dupont. I think Metrolinx has referenced it several times over the years in their long term plans, ie. in 2050s

We have a potential east-west belt line just north of dupont. I think Metrolinx has referenced it several times over the years in their long term plans, ie. in 2050s
That’s CPs midtown line. Which will cost 20billion to pry from their greedy hands.

For that price we might as well build a Line across Lawrence or another Eglinton line.

My updated concept for a Windsor Rapid Transit network. It contains 3 LRT lines and 3 BRT lines and provides coverage to all major areas, including some small suburban centres in Lasalle and Tecumseh.

View attachment 444416
could the blue and green lines be unified into a single LRT that interlines with the red line through the downtown? Would likely make navigation easier and create a lot more one seat rides.

That’s CPs midtown line. Which will cost 20billion to pry from their greedy hands.

For that price we might as well build a Line across Lawrence or another Eglinton line.
I mean yes in the current climate of endless corporate welfare, it would cost an immense amount of money. However the Premier or Prime Minister has the power at any time expropriate that rail corridor for $0. Simply tell CP to reroute freight to the plethora of rail corridors in the northern GTA, i'm sure the shipping containers full of toasters wont notice the extra hour on their ride.

Do that and we could have the Midtown line running within two years of construction, the majority of that time being the creation of station boxes, which will even still be easy seeing as they will be wholly above ground.

354041443_999889237669205_8536135194776229394_n.png

Curious if this rail corridor has ever been discussed/used in a proposal for a North Toronto Crosstown line. It shadows Steeles Avenue for its entire routing through the city (or should I say above the city) and the rail corridor itself is very wide. It is currently used only for freight and is apart of the York/Halton rail subdivision. However, due to the wide corridor, the installation of additional trackage for transit would be possible without the interruption of freight traffic.

If anybody is interested I can elaborate on ideas I had about rolling stock/connection to TTC and GO/direct service for York U and Markham downtown.

Thats the corridor that gives any hope of getting freight out of Brampton and potentially off Milton. It also amounts to such a close parallel to the 407 that there’s no real advantage to it over just building new, doubly so when one considers that the ONLY way this could ever become a passenger corridor would be a new build freight corridor further north at much higher cost than a new passenger line.

With that said, I have wondered about how much additional cost a mainline passenger line parallel to the 407 (designed for full size EMUs) would have compared to OL like light metro tech.

Last edited:
Thats the corridor that gives any hope of getting freight out of Brampton and potentially off Milton. It also amounts to such a close parallel to the 407 that there’s no real advantage to it over just building new, doubly so when one considers that the ONLY way this could ever become a passenger corridor would be a new build freight corridor further north at much higher cost than a new passenger line.
1686685272908.png

From what I can tell, even at the corridors narrowest portions (this is northwest of Bathurst and Steeles) there appears to be enough to space to upgrade the line from 2 tracks to up to 6. The existing freight route would simply be shifted to the north or southside of the corridor and they could continue operations unhindered. Freight and passenger rail operations have immense precedent in the GTA and across the world, i really don't see why this very wide rail corridor would be the exception to that.

And I am not sure that the proximity to the 407 is a negative? Yes the 407 transitway is in the works, but if it does finally get built, it will be as a busway which has drastically lower capacity, ride quality, ease of station construction, walkability to stations and does not allow for interlining with existing GO corridors.

View attachment 485047
From what I can tell, even at the corridors narrowest portions (this is northwest of Bathurst and Steeles) there appears to be enough to space to upgrade the line from 2 tracks to up to 6. The existing freight route would simply be shifted to the north or southside of the corridor and they could continue operations unhindered. Freight and passenger rail operations have immense precedent in the GTA and across the world, i really don't see why this very wide rail corridor would be the exception to that.

And I am not sure that the proximity to the 407 is a negative? Yes the 407 transitway is in the works, but if it does finally get built, it will be as a busway which has drastically lower capacity, ride quality, ease of station construction, walkability to stations and does not allow for interlining with existing GO corridors.
Frankly I’m not convinced there’s much difference in walkability (especially given proximity to existing and planned stations on other corridors), but bear in mind that six tracks would be 2 CN, 2 CP and 2 passenger. my strategic position would be that given a choice between adding passengers and moving CP freight to North Toronto, CP is more important. At the same time I strongly suspect it will be much easier to get the railroads to agree to corridor sharing if GO is in their corridor, and the door is left open for final configuration of parallel three track corridors for each freight company.

Back