News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I didn't know it was the temporary fire hall; I had guessed it was a development sales centre or something.

Anyways, technically, yes, the houses were built before the LRT platform; they were built in the early 2000s (03 or 04 I think), while the LRT station was funded in 2007 and opened in 2012.

View attachment 337080

But the plan for an LRT station at that location goes back to at least 1997, and probably as far back as 1984 -- I'm not sure exactly what got amended when in the ASP. This isn't Ogden or Sunnyside where the community existed before there was even an idea of LRT in Calgary; every road in these communities and virtually every building was planned with the knowledge of the specific LRT right of way and station locations. Even the policy on the books at the time was:
View attachment 337081
1997 Transit Friendly Design Guide.
Usually, a realtor is supposed to tell you of any possible future development that they know of. I know so many family friends that have bought homes, in areas like Savanna and Cityscape, keeping in mind that the LRT will reach their neighborhood one day and increase their values. It's part of a realtor's job to study these things and share them with their clients.

As was the case with the affordable housing units across Genesis Centre. That land was purposely left unbuilt for future high dense use. If I'm buying a house right next to a large undeveloped gopher-infested field, it's my job to ask my realtor what the future plans are for the site, not to show up with pitchforks at City Hall acting all surprised when a land use is submitted.

Back