News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Actual ridership is expected to decline by about 2% this year.

Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the TTC extrapolating Metropass sales numbers to calculate their system ridership numbers? in addition to manual counting occasionally. Seems with presto releasing and metropass being discontinued it would make sense that number would go down. Will be interesting to see their numbers when everyone is using presto and they can get more accurate usage data.

Edit: Found where i read it from https://stevemunro.ca/2018/10/17/where-have-all-the-riders-gone-2/

Do we have anything like this link below which shows ridership numbers of all the routes but a) in a more recent year; b) a yearly average rather than one-month snapshot?

Dec 2014 - https://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect...-90326d2123ad/mar+5+ridership.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
Oct, Nov 2015 - https://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect...26621ed7/feb+4+kost+ridership.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

I am skeptical of ridership numbers from a specific month because ridership across the calendar year can be variable due to weather and academic year.

e.g. apparently in October 2015 the Blue Line had a weekday ridership average of 19,774. Which is higher than even the 2017 yearly average of 17,808.

Looking at monthly can be a bit useless, needs to be a an average over the year. But wouldn't mind seeing updated numbers for Davis Drive, hopefully manages to surpass 1000/day. Three hundred million is an awful lot of money for such ridership.

Just as an example, here's how Brampton Transit displays their ridership statistics:

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/transit/About-Us/Pages/RidershipStats.aspx

105,000 is very impressive for a city of that size, and 18% growth? Seems unreal.

^The stupid part of that GO count for Niagara is that the data is being collected manually, by sending someone out in the middle of the night to count noses..

So much for the claim that Presto will collect ridership data automatically. Even Metrolinx can't make that work for them.

- Paul

Who knows - perhaps they forgot to write into the contract with Accenture that they provide data back to Go Transit on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis (or station-by-station basis) in a timely manner.
Not everyone uses presto/Fare Evasion?

Not everyone uses presto/Fare Evasion?
Evasion rates are minimal. I was sitting near the back of a standing-room only CLRV being fare-inspected mid-route in rush hour the other day; each and every rider tapped their Presto card (none of this just flash the Presto card which I've seen on occasion) or showed a paper transfer.

I've also seen GO Train inspections - and unlike TTC, I've never actually seen them have someone evading.

So that's not the answer to why they wouldn't use Presto for data.

GO inspects far more regularly than the TTC does from my experience. I take the streetcar somewhat regularly, and can't remember the last time is saw inspectors on the 504 (my typical route). Meanwhile I feel like 1/4 GO trips I take has an inspector.

GO inspects far more regularly than the TTC does from my experience. I take the streetcar somewhat regularly, and can't remember the last time is saw inspectors on the 504 (my typical route). Meanwhile I feel like 1/4 GO trips I take has an inspector.
Might depend on time of day and route. I can't recall the last time I had a GO inspection between Danforth and Union, or Union and Exhibition where I travel a lot.

But I frequently see TTC inspectors at streetcar terminals.

^I have encountered GO inspectors on every GO route, any time of day. They are really good at putting the “random” in random spotchecks. Have observed them dealing with evaders, very professional and cheerful even when the excuse offered was very very lame. Nothing but good things to say about them.
TTC inpectors, on the other hand, are wooden and grumpy, and they seem to never stray from the subway stations. No random checks so no deterrence factor along the routes. Too far away from the coffee shop, it seems.
A friend got ticketed recently on TTC - she had an explanation, backed up with proof that she had tapped every trip for forever on a daily commute, so not your typical evader. When she got to court, the Crown immediately told her “You don’t even need to offer a defense. This is bogus..we’re seeing lots of this lately”. Her charge got tossed immediately. Just one story, but one hears this too often.

- Paul

^I have encountered GO inspectors on every GO route, any time of day. They are really good at putting the “random” in random spotchecks. Have observed them dealing with evaders, very professional and cheerful even when the excuse offered was very very lame. Nothing but good things to say about them.
TTC inpectors, on the other hand, are wooden and grumpy, and they seem to never stray from the subway stations. No random checks so no deterrence factor along the routes. Too far away from the coffee shop, it seems.
A friend got ticketed recently on TTC - she had an explanation, backed up with proof that she had tapped every trip for forever on a daily commute, so not your typical evader. When she got to court, the Crown immediately told her “You don’t even need to offer a defense. This is bogus..we’re seeing lots of this lately”. Her charge got tossed immediately. Just one story, but one hears this too often.
The problem with ancedotal evidence is it's ancedotal. I've seen GO inspectors on trains, but not once within a station of Union - and never on a bus. And I've certainly been fare-inspected on TTC streetcars on 504 and 506 (where I spend most of my time) mid-route, in rush-hour, and midday. (never in the evening I'll note). I've never seen bad behaviour from either TTC or GO inspectors - even when they hauled me off a streetcar because I had no POP ... okay, he was a bit grumpy half-way through, when I finally found my Metropass hidden in my wallet :) (I thought my wife must have had it, so had given up searching the first time) ... but he was professional about it. I'm sure some have had bad experiences ...

Back