News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

There has been an update on the Marda Loop Main Street construction. The City has selected a contractor for the project and is finalizing the scope and construction planning. To prepare for construction in May, the City will begin removing approximately 99 trees shortly over a two-week period. The City plans to replant 100+ northern blaze, white ash, northern acclaim honey locust, and American elms throughout Marda Loop.

Always sucks to lose mature trees, but I like the mix of trees they've proposed to replant.

Does anyone know what kind of tree/shrub this is? Love the bright red leaves.
IMG_4015.jpeg

I don’t know the name if the shrub, but I like red. We don’t see enough if that in Calgary.

Post it in Reddit, someone will know.

Is the soil really worse on the east side? Most of that land was formerly under cultivation. Soil conditions on the west side of the city tend to be rocky. The west side has the advantage of slightly higher precipitation and more hills to provide shelter from the chinooks.
The soil is actually a bit worse on the east side of the city. Years back my science teacher who was also a horticulturalist mentioned that the soils west of the Bow and Elbow were generally better. Can’t remember the exact reason for it, but might have been due to soil slowly moving east but then getting caught in the river valleys and not making it across.

Whether it’s soil or weather conditions, the east side of the city has poorer growing conditions. However its probably more related to what you said. That side of the city is less affluent and the residents aren’t as interested in growing trees. I’ve witnessed that first hand.

What I would like to see in Calgary is A LOT more of these:
m1.jpg
I
m3.jpg
m2.jpg

I don't know enough about trees to know what sort of sugar maple these are but all 3 of these were in different areas and in the first and third one, they are reasonably recent within the last maybe 10-15 years and seem to be thriving fairly well. The don't seem to have any problem surviving although I don't know the level of attention the owners of these properties pay to these trees.

I also wish Swedish aspens weren't so inconsistent with deciding to turn pale yellow or just not turning at all rather than this red they can be:
sa.jpg

If I had to guess I'd say those are maples might be Fall Fiesta Sugar Maples but idk for sure. As far as the columnar aspens go they're nice enough but the problem with a lot of those columnar varieties is that although they grow quickly and are space efficient, they also die fairly young as well.

Personally I wish that cities in Alberta would plant more heritage trees that although slow growing will someday create a really great and diverse urban forest. I wish I saw more oak, maples and even walnuts trees in Alberta. Unfortunately a lot of new communities avoid large slow growing trees due to small/non-existent front yards and a desire to plant fast growing trees.

Back