39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

simuls

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thought some people might like to know.

A message to all members of Trinity-Spadina Condo Residents Association

Reminder: TS Condo Association’s Founding Meeting!!!

Trinity-Spadina Condo Residents Association’s Founding Meeting
Wednesday April 22nd – 7pm
Harbourfront Community Centre (627 Queen’s Quay W)
Medium Assembly Room

At the meeting
- Electing an executive that will represent the 200+ condos in the riding
- Establishing a condo network to support residents and boards with local issues
- First community association to have an Environmental Director

Snacks and drinks provided

Questions/comments: 416.603.9664 rmarchese-co@ndp.on.ca

MAP
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=...nOkP&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1

TTC Directions
From Bathurst: Streetcar south to Fleet, then walk two blocks south
From Union: Streetcar west to Bathurst, it’s the building on the south side of the street

---- PLEASE FORWARD ----

Visit Trinity-Spadina Condo Residents Association at: http://tscondos.ning.com

Follow the above link. Executive's already been chosen, had two meetings and a press release should be forthcoming. This is an organization that is looking at the big picture - things like the HST, getting a standardized Condo Act - legislative processes that will save you loads of money and protect your rights. It's not a forum for mitigating grievances against individual builders. That's what your board is for.

Follow the above link. Executive's already been chosen, had two meetings and a press release should be forthcoming. This is an organization that is looking at the big picture - things like the HST, getting a standardized Condo Act - legislative processes that will save you loads of money and protect your rights. It's not a forum for mitigating grievances against individual builders. That's what your board is for.

So they know what the issues are and don't need me to complain? They know all the new scams that builders are pulling and don't need to hear about them is what you're saying?

I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that an invite was needed, but I guess that's been put in place until the membership committee has decided how exactly they want to go about membership (paid, sponsored, individual, per condo corp., etc.). If I find out, I'll be sure to let you know as I would assume that any condo association would be happy to hear from anyone with a stake in condo ownership.

Is anyone going to this press conference?

A press conference will be held on Thursday August 13th 2009 at 9:30 AM to address Toronto’s proposed Harmonized Sales Tax and the impact on condo owners and increase on maintenance fees.

I went there this morning. They talked about the HST and how it affects everyone in Ontario. They said it's going to affect everyone because 8% will be added to everything from condo fees (maintenance and reserves), hydro, lawyers fees and contractor fees. Maintenance and hydro will go up 8% due to the HST. There's a petition for the HST at http://www.unfairtaxgrab.com/home.html. They said they've collected around 50,000 petitions and ask to help spread the word.

Last edited:
I just heard someone from this "Association" interviewed on CBC radio and they are clearly against the HST (and that's clearly why they were recently formed). Of course the HST will affect condo owners (I am one) but it will affect everyone (home owners, renters etc) but everyone will also see the other tax cuts and subsidies. One may be against the HST or in favour of it but it would be better to say that's what your raison d'etre is rather than try to appeal only to condo owners. I think they are a bunch of Tories in condo clothing!

Well, not sure if they only mentioned condos downtown. But during the meeting they said it affects everyone in Ontario. They mentioned they flew out to Thunder Bay and asked people for their opinion and the people there were against it. I don't think they have condos in Thunder Bay?

As for the tax subsidies. I think they're only for a year? I read in the tax cuts section and they mentioned 3x$100 payments of Ontario Sales tax transition benefit back for under 80k. They mentioned specific dates June 2010, December 2010 and June 2011. Maybe it's only for 1 year? There's a 1% decrease on income tax for income under $36,848. Anything over remains the same. Income under 20k will get $260 back on top of the $300. On the short term, they give you money back. But long term, it's a tax grab.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/english/budget/ontariobudgets/2009/chpt3.html#c3_pos

Last edited:
they are clearly against the HST (and that's clearly why they were recently formed).

No, that's not why they formed the association. There are many problems with Ontarios condo legislation that need to be fixed. HST is just one.

I just heard someone from this "Association" interviewed on CBC radio and they are clearly against the HST (and that's clearly why they were recently formed). Of course the HST will affect condo owners (I am one) but it will affect everyone (home owners, renters etc) but everyone will also see the other tax cuts and subsidies. One may be against the HST or in favour of it but it would be better to say that's what your raison d'etre is rather than try to appeal only to condo owners. I think they are a bunch of Tories in condo clothing!

Interesting perspective "DSC", I am a bit curious what has led you to believe that this was their agenda? My understanding has been that this has been more of a grass roots organization trying to restore some balance in the condo act. I know that there are at least two cityplace residents on their board.

Without a coup d'etat I think the HST as horrible as it is, is something that we are just going to have to get used to...hopefully it goes the way of the photo radar vans we used to see on the 401, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The organization is not a single issue entity and is, as was mentioned above, a grassroots effort that came out of condo owner's frustrations with the condo act, etc. If you'd like to get more information about it, go to www.coa-ts.com and if you're interested in becoming a member (a large scale membership drive will get underway soon), then fill out the form on the website!

Back