News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If they don't want to program stopping locations @ Eglinton, wouldn't the switchover have to happen at Davisville?

The switchover between modes is happening between Eglinton and Davisville.

Yes, it seems to me to be smarter to do the switchover at Davisville instead, but the guys and gals who do this planning have better access to that information supporting that decision than I.

Dan

The switchover between modes is happening between Eglinton and Davisville.

Yes, it seems to me to be smarter to do the switchover at Davisville instead, but the guys and gals who do this planning have better access to that information supporting that decision than I.

Dan
Fair enough, though it did seem pretty odd on the face of it. Thanks for the info!

There is a report on ATC at the TTC board yesterday:

Interestingly, it states that the new signal system has saved about 3.5 minutes of run time for VMC to Rosedale Station (the portion of Line 1 with ATC activated so far)

Travel times between the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and Rosedale stations have improved on average by 3.5 minutes in each direction;

ATC was recently actived up to Eglinton as well apparently:

In Q3 2021, Phase 4 (Rosedale to Eglinton) was commissioned, enabling ATC/CBTC from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station to Eglinton Station. ATC/CBTC is progressing well in the next phase on Line 1, Phase 5 (Eglinton to Finch).

ACtiviation to Finch is planned for Q3 2022 apparently, with "System wide" activation listed as "TBD", whatever that means.

Other interesting tid-bits:

ATC’s positive impact extends throughout the entirety of Line 1, even where ATC is currently not installed. Before the pandemic, the scheduled southbound service in the morning peak at Bloor-Yonge Station was 25.5 trains per hour, whereas previously achieved service was approximately 22 trains per hour. Through run-as-directed trains, proactive station management and ATC service, on average the TTC operates 25.5 trains per hour as scheduled, and has exceeded a through-put of 28 trains per hour prior to the pandemic. As the city recovers, this improved service reliability and capacity will be critical to attracting customers back to the system.

The implementation of ATC on Line 1 has also had a benefit to on-going maintenance programs. By improving the reliability of the system and reducing the wayside equipment, maintenance resources have been realigned to support other critical stateof-good-repair work. Signals Maintenance crews have increased switch inspections by 31% from 2019 to 2020, and have further increased inspections by an additional 25% as of June 2021. As a result, switch faults have decreased by 60% on Line 2 and 16% on Line 1, since 2018.

Regarding Line 2 ATC:

The total project cost for the Line 2 ATC Resignalling project is $812.681 million, comprising costs to the end of 2020 of $1.057 million and funding of $734.542 million over the 2021-2030 Capital Plan period and post-2030 unfunded expenditures of $77.082 million under Program 2.4 Signal Systems – Line 2 ATC Resignalling Project, State of Good Repair, as approved by City Council on February 18, 2021. A total of $623 million of Line 2 ATC Resignalling project was funded from the additional $4.7 billion City Building Fund approved by Council in 2020. It is expected that the completion of Line 2 ATC will result in the realization of similar service, safety and financial benefits as in Line 1.

ACtiviation to Finch is planned for Q3 2022 apparently, with "System wide" activation listed as "TBD", whatever that means.

TBD = To be determined.

It has to do with the signal work around Eglinton which has been impacted by the Crosstown work

The full activation has been deemed dependent on certain Crosstown work being complete, and that date is outside of TTC's direct control, hence the TBD.

It would seem likely they are targeting it for the opening of the Crosstown, which is currently on the books at Fall 2022, but may be November/December.

TBD = To be determined.

It has to do with the signal work around Eglinton which has been impacted by the Crosstown work

The full activation has been deemed dependent on certain Crosstown work being complete, and that date is outside of TTC's direct control, hence the TBD.

It would seem likely they are targeting it for the opening of the Crosstown, which is currently on the books at Fall 2022, but may be November/December.
I understand what TBD means haha, I mean whatever "systemwide" means if the signal system is already operational on the entire line, as well as the infinite time-hole that "TBD" suggests.

I understand what TBD means haha, I mean whatever "systemwide" means if the signal system is already operational on the entire line, as well as the infinite time-hole that "TBD" suggests.

I imagined as much, but answered fully.

I think they simply don't know if it'll be Q3 or Q4 2022

Interestingly, it states that the new signal system has saved about 3.5 minutes of run time for VMC to Rosedale Station (the portion of Line 1 with ATC activated so far)

Can the speed and throughput benefits really be chalked up to ATC vs. decreased passenger load (which probably also come with, among other things, decline in PAAs?) Kinda dicey to compare data and confound it with pre/pandemic effects.

AoD

ATC was recently actived up to Eglinton as well apparently:

Other interesting tid-bits:

Regarding Line 2 ATC:
Would be better with platform screen doors, of course. But we have penny-pinchers as the powers-that-be, who continue to look at saving money instead of saving lives.

Can the speed and throughput benefits really be chalked up to ATC vs. decreased passenger load (which probably also come with, among other things, decline in PAAs?) Kinda dicey to compare data and confound it with pre/pandemic effects.

AoD
I'd assume they would account for that as it's not like there weren't low-load periods on the TTC pre-pandemic. Or at least I would hope so and that they aren't just counting increased speeds at peak periods vs. pre-pandemic and are instead counting speeds in off peak periods which wouldn't have changed much.

TTC subway travel times had been slowly eroding for decades already regardless, so these new travel time savings are likely just returning schedules to the travel times which occurred 20 years ago.

AoD
Given that they chose to measure travel time from VMC to Rosedale, the "after" data must have been from the period where ATC was active from VMC to Rosedale. That was Q4 2020 to Q3 2021, so unless they normalized for dwell times, it could all be due to reduced passenger volumes.

The report specifically states that throughput benefits were measured before the pandemic. So they are unrelated to reduced passenger volumes.

Back