News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This was a hot topic on CFRB 1010 today - apparently councillor Carolyn Parrish in Mississauga is pushing to get the Hurontario LRT replaced by a westward extension of the Bloor-Danforth subway from Kipling to Square One.

Councillor says subway, not LRT, the transit Mississauga needs

http://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...subway-not-lrt-the-transit-mississauga-needs/

- Parrish said the city should push for a subway to run from Kipling station to Square One Shopping Centre before building the LRT. “Our first priority should be asking the province to run a subway out here,†said Parrish, adding the city should have held a referendum on the LRT. “I don’t understand what our reluctance is to ask for a big project. We deserve a subway.â€

- Parrish’s suggestion drew a heated response from Ward 7 Councillor Nando Iannicca. The downtown councillor has argued on many occasions that intensification and density being mandated by the province needs to be supported by transit and his ward has taken its fair share of development over the years.

- “I want to put…this nonsense of a subway to bed right away,†said Iannicca, adding that the city’s population isn’t large enough to sustain a subway and that operational costs would be too much for the municipality to bear.

- Mayor Bonnie Crombie said Metrolinx’s regional express rail initiative, which is the implementation of all-day, two-way 15-minute electrified rail service on GO Transit’s train lines, would do what a subway would when it comes to moving people to and from Toronto but would be a much cheaper alternative and likely faster as well. Crombie also noted that subways cost about seven times what LRT projects do.

n-r-Council-Dec_3_Parrish1___Content.jpg

"We deserve a subway"

ugh...

They're good people. They deserve it. What, you don't think Mississauga people are good people who deserve the same transit you have? So you're going to have an awesome time enjoying the amazingly comfortable & fun to ride subways while others freeze to death waiting for a bus, is that it? Stop your discriminatory persecution of the Mississaugans!! It's a constitutional right of every Canadian, the right to have subways!

Think of the subway-less children in Africa. Transit the world, let them know its Christmas Time.

A Mississauga extension can be had if it's needed for local stop trips within Mississauga itself. But not without a regional express service at no difference in fare price to get into Toronto to bypass a Mississauga extension to not make the BD too crowded.

Councillor says subway, not LRT, the transit Mississauga needs

- Parrish said the city should push for a subway to run from Kipling station to Square One Shopping Centre before building the LRT. “Our first priority should be asking the province to run a subway out here,†said Parrish, adding the city should have held a referendum on the LRT. “I don’t understand what our reluctance is to ask for a big project. We deserve a subway.â€

- Parrish’s suggestion drew a heated response from Ward 7 Councillor Nando Iannicca. The downtown councillor has argued on many occasions that intensification and density being mandated by the province needs to be supported by transit and his ward has taken its fair share of development over the years.

- “I want to put…this nonsense of a subway to bed right away,†said Iannicca, adding that the city’s population isn’t large enough to sustain a subway and that operational costs would be too much for the municipality to bear.

- Mayor Bonnie Crombie said Metrolinx’s regional express rail initiative, which is the implementation of all-day, two-way 15-minute electrified rail service on GO Transit’s train lines, would do what a subway would when it comes to moving people to and from Toronto but would be a much cheaper alternative and likely faster as well. Crombie also noted that subways cost about seven times what LRT projects do.

I have so much respect for newly coronated Mayor Bonnie Crombie. I think that Hazel made a good choice of successor in her abdication. May her reign be long and prosperous. All hail Bonnie Crombie, Empress of all Missisauga; Queen of Cooksville, Port Credit, Streetsville and Erindale; Guardian of Square One, and Mayor for Life.

Back