News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Replaced with the Dundas BRT project by Metrolinx. See link.

dundas_brt_alignment.png

There is also an Urban Toronto thread about it, at https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/dundas-st-rapid-transit-metrolinx-mississauga-halton-region-cot.24671/.

TTC or more like the councilors on the Commission starting back in 2010 had the chance to extend the line to Cloverdale with the ward councilor who was chair and vice chair a number of times and was shot down on his motion to extend the line the. He became an MPP as he thought he had a better chance at Queen Park to get the extension build and sadly it never happen.

Everyone lost with the building of the Regional where it is. 905's have to spend 7 plus minutes walking from terminal to terminal base on their health and able to walk. A number of 90's riders are getting off at a TTC stop on Dundas or on to get around this extra walking time.

If the line was built, TTC would finally be able to fix the bus terminal issues that has existed for a few decades as it was build underside from day one. There is no room for the terminal to expand to meet future growth of GO and Mississauga and Cloverdale would had the space to do down the road.

GO buses would do a quick on/off from the 427 if the bus was going to/from Union Station in place of the plan using Kipling route now if and when that route surface.

With the Cloverdale station in place, all transit systems currently using Kipling would see cost saving. The current deadheading would be remove to allow for better headway using the current number of buses or removing a bus or 2 because there was too much extra time for layover.

Redevelopment of the Cloverdale area would see construction sooner as well being faster to get things into the ground.

The BRT is all Metrolinx wants to invested into as they are not a strong supporter of LRT. The Dundas BRT will not be a true one west of Erindale Station Rd as ridership is non existing and no need for a ROW to the point the buses will be express buses. Even though Oakville has an BRT on there master plan on Dundas for over 20 years, they have fail to built density on it and have backtrack on the BRT vision. Mississauga has run service into Oakville with poor results and a huge poor cost recovery ratio. Both Oakville and Burlington want Halton Region to look after transit as well fund it. With Halton running transit, it will be no different to what York, Durham and Waterloo has done.

There are 2 current issues facing TTC west and that is how to get to the new subway yard on the south side of the CP corridor if that yard is to be built as well how do you get pass that condo to the west of the station?? TTC cannot use CP ROW as plan, as that has been taken over by Metrolinx for Milton expansion.

Any extension of Line 2 into Mississauga has to be along Dundas to Dixie or pushing it to Hurontario St at best. That cannot happen until there is density on Dundas that hasn't existed at all as its a blight. The BRT may kick start the change, but going to be a long process to get ridership up to an LRT level, let alone subway numbers to have one.

I have pushed for both a subway extension to Cloverdale and LRT from there to Erindale for over a decade. In 2005, I said to council, there needs to be 7 LRT lines in Mississauga with Dundas being one of them. Councilors including the mayor said to me the finally understand where I was taking the transit system in Mississauga and it was now up to them to do it. sadly, very little has change since them to build a better system, but not taking the model spite from 11% to 35% by now. Only around 15% these days outside of COVID.

They could move the Kipling platform west so it connects with both bus terminals.
Really????

Do you know that the GO platform already does connect to both terminal now if that what you are talking about. If you are taking about the subway and bus terminal, better talk with Hydro One as well TTC to see what impact it will have on future extension/expansion as well cost. TTC will be building a 3rd tailback track and most likely be in 2022 now. It was held up due to the building of the Hub and they have done some work on it already.

Hydro One calls all the shots since its their land in the first place. They refused to allow the original location for the Regional Hub to be built and having no LRT under their transmission lines. This set the opening for the hub date back close to 5 years.

The Big Move call for the Gateway Hub to be built at Cloverdale, not Kipling. Everything is in the wrong location.

The Big Move call for the Gateway Hub to be built at Cloverdale, not Kipling. Everything is in the wrong location.
That I'll agree with.

Sooner or later that line will be extended and it will be resolved. Then they can develop that eyesore - providing great all-weather access to transit!

TTC or more like the councilors on the Commission starting back in 2010 had the chance to extend the line to Cloverdale with the ward councilor who was chair and vice chair a number of times and was shot down on his motion to extend the line the. He became an MPP as he thought he had a better chance at Queen Park to get the extension build and sadly it never happen.

Everyone lost with the building of the Regional where it is. 905's have to spend 7 plus minutes walking from terminal to terminal base on their health and able to walk. A number of 90's riders are getting off at a TTC stop on Dundas or on to get around this extra walking time.

If the line was built, TTC would finally be able to fix the bus terminal issues that has existed for a few decades as it was build underside from day one. There is no room for the terminal to expand to meet future growth of GO and Mississauga and Cloverdale would had the space to do down the road.

GO buses would do a quick on/off from the 427 if the bus was going to/from Union Station in place of the plan using Kipling route now if and when that route surface.

With the Cloverdale station in place, all transit systems currently using Kipling would see cost saving. The current deadheading would be remove to allow for better headway using the current number of buses or removing a bus or 2 because there was too much extra time for layover.

Redevelopment of the Cloverdale area would see construction sooner as well being faster to get things into the ground.

The BRT is all Metrolinx wants to invested into as they are not a strong supporter of LRT. The Dundas BRT will not be a true one west of Erindale Station Rd as ridership is non existing and no need for a ROW to the point the buses will be express buses. Even though Oakville has an BRT on there master plan on Dundas for over 20 years, they have fail to built density on it and have backtrack on the BRT vision. Mississauga has run service into Oakville with poor results and a huge poor cost recovery ratio. Both Oakville and Burlington want Halton Region to look after transit as well fund it. With Halton running transit, it will be no different to what York, Durham and Waterloo has done.

There are 2 current issues facing TTC west and that is how to get to the new subway yard on the south side of the CP corridor if that yard is to be built as well how do you get pass that condo to the west of the station?? TTC cannot use CP ROW as plan, as that has been taken over by Metrolinx for Milton expansion.

Any extension of Line 2 into Mississauga has to be along Dundas to Dixie or pushing it to Hurontario St at best. That cannot happen until there is density on Dundas that hasn't existed at all as its a blight. The BRT may kick start the change, but going to be a long process to get ridership up to an LRT level, let alone subway numbers to have one.

I have pushed for both a subway extension to Cloverdale and LRT from there to Erindale for over a decade. In 2005, I said to council, there needs to be 7 LRT lines in Mississauga with Dundas being one of them. Councilors including the mayor said to me the finally understand where I was taking the transit system in Mississauga and it was now up to them to do it. sadly, very little has change since them to build a better system, but not taking the model spite from 11% to 35% by now. Only around 15% these days outside of COVID.
Out of curiosity I would like to hear what the seven lrt lines you suggested for Mississauga would be.

Out of curiosity I would like to hear what the seven lrt lines you suggested for Mississauga would be.
The building of the lines are based on ridership and density as well long range. Been flip flopping on a few
Hurontario,
Dundas,
Eglinton,
Burnhamthrope with an issue to connect to Islington or Kipling,
Derry Rd
Dixie Rd
Southdown/Erin Mills
Britannia

I can see Eglinton Crosstown Line ending up at Square One.

The building of the lines are based on ridership and density as well long range. Been flip flopping on a few
Hurontario,
Dundas,
Eglinton,
Burnhamthrope with an issue to connect to Islington or Kipling,
Derry Rd
Dixie Rd
Southdown/Erin Mills
Britannia

I can see Eglinton Crosstown Line ending up at Square One.
Ok. The first four are the ones which were on my own wish list. I thought with so many lanes on these suburban streets that this wouldn’t be too hard to accommodate. But I guess there has to be a will as well.

Idk How much sense it makes to go towards Sherway when all this development is happening along Dundas West.. if extended along Dundas West and West Mall, Mississauga can decide whether they want to extend it with BRT/LRT in the future.

I think it may make more sense to have a N/S line (possible Finch West LRT extension) parallel to HWY427 from Pearson to Sherway and then East along Queensway.

Idk How much sense it makes to go towards Sherway when all this development is happening along Dundas West.. if extended along Dundas West and West Mall, Mississauga can decide whether they want to extend it with BRT/LRT in the future.

I think it may make more sense to have a N/S line (possible Finch West LRT extension) parallel to HWY427 from Pearson to Sherway and then East along Queensway.

There are plans to redevelop the entire Sherway campus with residential units, in which case it would have a very solid population base justifying higher order transit.

Extending Line 2 to Sherway to serve the mall is wrong headed however - just a bit of vanity for the mall owners. The Mall itself does not generate the ridership in either employment or shopper numbers to justify that investment. Clearly, the volume of ridership (current and potential) along Dundas favours extending Line 2 along Dundas to Cloverdale and perhaps beyond....and not southwards to the mall.

I would favour a surface LRT link - or perhaps elevated, as it's all industrial land so no neighbours to annoy - from either Kiping or Cloverdale to Sherway, maybe continuing down Browns Line to Long Branch Loop. And then westwards along Lakeshore, perhaps. And LRT along Queensway to the hub at Park Lawn. cheaper and appropriate capacity for what's planned.

- Paul

There are plans to redevelop the entire Sherway campus with residential units, in which case it would have a very solid population base justifying higher order transit.

Extending Line 2 to Sherway to serve the mall is wrong headed however - just a bit of vanity for the mall owners. The Mall itself does not generate the ridership in either employment or shopper numbers to justify that investment. Clearly, the volume of ridership (current and potential) along Dundas favours extending Line 2 along Dundas to Cloverdale and perhaps beyond....and not southwards to the mall.

I would favour a surface LRT link - or perhaps elevated, as it's all industrial land so no neighbours to annoy - from either Kiping or Cloverdale to Sherway, maybe continuing down Browns Line to Long Branch Loop. And then westwards along Lakeshore, perhaps. And LRT along Queensway to the hub at Park Lawn. cheaper and appropriate capacity for what's planned.

- Paul
Sherway adding housing in the future I dont think is such a big driver here. Dundas West to Cloverdale is already further ahead in adding residential housing. Also curving south increases the amount of track needed and puts the station further away from The West Mall and Eastmall which already are very high density streets where adding in better transit will directly reduce cars on the streets. Which is why I think an additional N/S line adjacent to 401 from Pearson would be best as it would service the Employment Areas (Old Etobicoke Civic Centre Property is on the West Mall), Residents, and travellers from Pearson down to Sherway before connecting to the BD extension at Dundas W. The line from Sherway could also be extended east to service Queensway, as it'd definitely ripe for development, Upto Humber bay Queen Street car loop. This would give access to Rapid Transit heading west to Humber Bay shores residents as well as downtown residents getting off of Queen Street Car Line.

Back