News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It reduces two problems from one problem. Frankly, I think the fare is the greater barrier since there will always be instances where you'll have to travel a single stop to complete your journey. If I live at Yonge & Lawrence and I want to go to Eglinton and Bayview (to pick two completely random points, as is so popular on this venue) I'm going to have to transfer.

Of course transfers are a necessity, but the point is that we should be making those transfers happen at places that are destinations, as much as possible, so that not as many people need to transfer.

Bloor Danforth Extention to Square One.

1) What would be the stops
2) How would it connect to Square One.
3) Would Ford be intrested?

Last edited:
Sherway for sure! Good on ramps from three highways for feeder commuter buses from the QEW, Gardener and the 427. Could be a real transit hub for Toronto to use and Mississauga. Cooksville as well because of the multi-modal dimension to a station there- hopefully a good transfer to the GO trains for people who wish to use that mode of transit.

Last edited:
Sherway for sure! Good on ramps from three highways for feeder commuter buses from the QEW, Gardener and the 427. Could be a real transit hub for Toronto to use and Mississauga. Cooksville as well because of the multi-modal dimension to a station there- hopefully a good transfer to the GO trains for people who wish to use that mode of transit.

I would agree. Dundas and Tomken could have a stop.

I will disagree on Sherway as you are not going to suck that much traffic off THE QEW and GO will bypass it to justify having a station there in the first place. Then there is the swing of the line to the south and then back to the north will add extra cost to do it.

The line should follow Dundas 100% to Hurontario St and then north to Sq One. This means staying under Dundas since there is no land in the rail corridor once the 4 tracks for GO and CP get built there.

Stops at the East Mall to service the large development plan for that area with a new transit hub to replace the out date under size Kipling station as well with GO; one or 2 stops between the East Mall and Dixie to service an area of 200,000 new residents; Dixie is a given; 2 stations between Dixie and Hurontario to service 150,000 new residents; station at Cooksville GO station; One at Elm Dr since this area will see at least a dozen new towers in the coming years; then Sq One with provision to take it north and back to the Eglinton line and airport.

Don't think what there now, but do a 50-100 year vision to see where the line should go in the first place.

I used to be a huge supporter of an extension to Square One, but no longer support the idea. I would rather see the Milton GO line get all day service, smaller trains, and more stations. Build a tunnel to Square One from Cooksville, and you have your subway extension for much less $.

I will disagree on Sherway as you are not going to suck that much traffic off THE QEW and GO will bypass it to justify having a station there in the first place. Then there is the swing of the line to the south and then back to the north will add extra cost to do it.

The line should follow Dundas 100% to Hurontario St and then north to Sq One. This means staying under Dundas since there is no land in the rail corridor once the 4 tracks for GO and CP get built there.

Stops at the East Mall to service the large development plan for that area with a new transit hub to replace the out date under size Kipling station as well with GO; one or 2 stops between the East Mall and Dixie to service an area of 200,000 new residents; Dixie is a given; 2 stations between Dixie and Hurontario to service 150,000 new residents; station at Cooksville GO station; One at Elm Dr since this area will see at least a dozen new towers in the coming years; then Sq One with provision to take it north and back to the Eglinton line and airport.

Don't think what there now, but do a 50-100 year vision to see where the line should go in the first place.

Thank You for the info. I agree about Kipling. It's hared to do an extention to Mississauga from there.

Support it?..............depends on how much it costs.
If the line was nearly all at grade using existing ROW and elevated in other section then I think it would be money well spend but not if they are going to tunnel.
Frankly I think the more important need is on an eastern extention of the BD line to Kingston and then using the current rail ROW all the way up to UT.Scar.

I used to be a huge supporter of an extension to Square One, but no longer support the idea. I would rather see the Milton GO line get all day service, smaller trains, and more stations. Build a tunnel to Square One from Cooksville, and you have your subway extension for much less $.

Personally I support both. GO riders and TTC riders are very different animals.

Personally I support both. GO riders and TTC riders are very different animals.

You mean bury them in the same tunnel? That's quite possible, considering that west of Sherway most of the subway alignments I've seen use the rail corridor for a stretch. Use the tunnel for GO trains and subway, and keep the current rail corridor for freight.

This of course would mean a much more expensive and elaborate tunnel, but if you're digging anyways, might as well go for it.

On a side note though, I think that the Eglinton LRT is much more likely to reach Square One before the B-D subway is. Building LRT tracks directly beside the Mississauga Transitway would be orders of magnitude less expensive, and it would hook in nicely with the Hurontario LRT.

You mean bury them in the same tunnel? That's quite possible, considering that west of Sherway most of the subway alignments I've seen use the rail corridor for a stretch. Use the tunnel for GO trains and subway, and keep the current rail corridor for freight.

This of course would mean a much more expensive and elaborate tunnel, but if you're digging anyways, might as well go for it.

On a side note though, I think that the Eglinton LRT is much more likely to reach Square One before the B-D subway is. Building LRT tracks directly beside the Mississauga Transitway would be orders of magnitude less expensive, and it would hook in nicely with the Hurontario LRT.

Unless GO is using EMU's, that will be one big tunnel. OH!! that means the Milton to KW/Cambridge will have to be EMU also unless you are changing trains somewhere along the route. That will be about a $5 billion project since its only money.

At the same time, headways for both GO and TTC will be a nightmare from an operation point unless you have more than 2 tracks in that tunnel.

The big problem that ppl are failing to look at is where is the centre of the residential area for any line going to Hurontario St in the first place. The current RR tracks are on the south boundaries to the point it takes 10 minute walk to get to Dundas bus stops from the Dixie GO station at this time of the year. Dundas is the centre line and that is where the subway/LRT line should be in the first place.

The big problem with the dream of a tunnel below CP tracks is CP itself. CP will not be picking up any cost for relocation where station will have to be built nor allow any real interfering with its operation.

At this point in time, a BRT is only needed on Dundas for the next 20 years, but prefer to see LRT from day one up to Hurontario St. West of Hurontario only requires an BRT for the next 30-40 years since is real low density and not much development will take place along the whole of Dundas as far as Dundas for 50-100 year at the earliest.

Having an Eglinton LRT reaching Sq One before the BD is a given. The LRT would run in the BRT ROW since its supposed to be built for it in the first place. There is nothing stopping having buses use the same ROW at the same time.

Having the BD going to SQ One will have the same problem as the Yonge line going to RHC and that is the Toronto riders will never get a seat unless trains are being short turn at Colverdale Mall.

The other issue is not everyone is going to the city core, but that the way transit is setup these days to do.

You put in the Crosstown GO line, you will see a shift in ridership pattern.

Unless GO is using EMU's, that will be one big tunnel.
Do EMUs have a smaller cross-section than deisel trainsets? If not they the vehicle power source should not have any relationship to the size of the tunnel.

Unless GO is using EMU's, that will be one big tunnel. OH!! that means the Milton to KW/Cambridge will have to be EMU also unless you are changing trains somewhere along the route. That will be about a $5 billion project since its only money.

By the timethat tunnel is built, the Milton line will likely be EMUs anyway. And there's nothing stopping the trains coming from further out using the current CP line instead of the tunnel.

At the same time, headways for both GO and TTC will be a nightmare from an operation point unless you have more than 2 tracks in that tunnel.

That's the idea. It would be 4-tracked. 2 for GO, 2 for TTC.

The big problem with the dream of a tunnel below CP tracks is CP itself. CP will not be picking up any cost for relocation where station will have to be built nor allow any real interfering with its operation.

It wouldn't be under the CP tracks. It would turn north right after Dixie.

Back