News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Then you get the ones who mix the emergency strip with the stop request strip.
I don't actually know other subway systems that have these emergency strips. I know some that have an intercom to contact the driver, but it's not the same automated stop that happens with the TTC. It seems a bit unnecessary.

The old streetcars are not outfitted with new roll signs for the 514 route, which I had to explain to a couple of people who waited in vain for more than half an hour for the 514. Just another headache out of so many others caused entirely by Bombardier's undelivered streetcars.

Screen shot 2016-06-22 at 9.06.11 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-06-22 at 9.06.11 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-06-22 at 9.06.11 PM.png
    861.5 KB · Views: 1,307
The old streetcars are not outfitted with new roll signs for the 514 route, which I had to explain to a couple of people who waited in vain for more than half an hour for the 514. Just another headache out of so many others caused entirely by Bombardier's undelivered streetcars.

View attachment 79470

I don't think it;'s so much Bombardier to blame as it is who ever in the planing department thought that small signs on the short turn sign wer ok to be used. Unless you know they are there you would have no idea to look for them. They should have a sign in the window thath anyone can see.

I don't think it;'s so much Bombardier to blame as it is who ever in the planing department thought that small signs on the short turn sign wer ok to be used. Unless you know they are there you would have no idea to look for them. They should have a sign in the window thath anyone can see.

I had actually somehow missed that they would have those small signs and was pleasantly surprised to see them on day one when I rode. I actually thought the white sign stood out quite a bit--it's somewhat less clear in the above photo due to exposure/contrast but in person I found my eyes drawn to it immediately.

I had actually somehow missed that they would have those small signs and was pleasantly surprised to see them on day one when I rode. I actually thought the white sign stood out quite a bit--it's somewhat less clear in the above photo due to exposure/contrast but in person I found my eyes drawn to it immediately.

You're definitely not going to see it from behind the front doors though.

L
You're definitely not going to see it from behind the front doors though.
Let's not forget that the use of older streetcars on the 514 is temporary and remember the old proverb "The perfect is the enemy of the good". I would rather have old streetcars with (admittedly) less than perfect signage than no streetcars at all. Frankly, having a perfect sign is no guarantee that customers will not get on the 'wrong streetcar' - it happens all the time on both King and Queen where several routes run on the same tracks.

Odd that it says next stop St. Lawrence when leaving the Sumach stop westbound. It should know it's a 514, not a 504. And the CLRVs all say River Street - I don't think the St. Lawrence stop has been in use since 2013 - about a year before the first Flexity ever went into service.

Odd that it says next stop St. Lawrence when leaving the Sumach stop westbound. It should know it's a 514, not a 504. And the CLRVs all say River Street - I don't think the St. Lawrence stop has been in use since 2013 - about a year before the first Flexity ever went into service.
The eastbound St Lawrence Street stop was moved to Lower River last year but the system often (but not always) announces stops it is not stopping at. Where the 75 bus turns north on Lower Sherbourne it is not unusual to have an announcement for Princess Street - further east on The Esplanade - followed immediately by the (correct) Front Street East.

Isn't that the 121 stop?

The eastbound St Lawrence Street stop was moved to Lower River last year ...
The River stop opened last year when service on King Street East was restored - at that time though, the St. Lawrence stop hadn't been used since mid-2013. The plan to move that stop had been underway since the traffic lights were installed at River in 2012, but delayed because of the construction site that was there until after the service on King Street East was suspended.

The 121 does not go near River. After going east on The Esplanade it goes east on Front to Cherry and loops back along Mill and Parliament to The Esplanade. and then west to Dufferin.
I got out to the Distillery District today, riding the 514 one way and taking the 121 back. Now that I've seen the place with my own eyes, I am wondering.... why not extend the 121's loop one block east to the edge of Corktown Common?
The trip down Cherry street was pretty short, as I expected, yet the car waited for the lights at every cross street. Front St I understand, but the others? No way to put in transit priority on the others?

I got out to the Distillery District today, riding the 514 one way and taking the 121 back. Now that I've seen the place with my own eyes, I am wondering.... why not extend the 121's loop one block east to the edge of Corktown Common?
The trip down Cherry street was pretty short, as I expected, yet the car waited for the lights at every cross street. Front St I understand, but the others? No way to put in transit priority on the others?
Extending the 121 east to Bayview (i.e. in front of Corktown Common) was raised with TTC and they said they may do so once the ridership and demand is clearer. Initially they were only going to bring the 121 east to Berkeley so Cherry was a fight, already. There are so many places where transit priority would be good, I suspect Cherry is not top of the list.

Back