News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Honestly. If you want to live in silence, please find a nice place in Dufferin County. I live in Leslieville and the GO Lakeshore East line, the Carlton 506 car, the Greenwood yard (especially at 0500h), and the Russell division (this is the carbarn on Queen at Connaught) can all be heard standing in the street in front of my home at more or less all hours of the day. The loudest is the 506 car. I think this is standard Toronto "city" background noise.

If these noises are issues, then how will we have the right transit for 3.0M people if two or three or ten can cause this havoc?. Unfortunate for sure, but the needs of the many surely outweigh the issues of the few. Not to mention that hundreds of thousands of people live on subway and streetcar and bus and GO train lines and somehow they have survived.

Yup I live near two subway stations and a go train station. Sometime you can her a streetcar going around the curve at main street, you can also her the horns from trains going through danforth go train station and a lot of the time you can hear a subway go through the tunnel as well.

Honestly. If you want to live in silence, please find a nice place in Dufferin County. I live in Leslieville and the GO Lakeshore East line, the Carlton 506 car, the Greenwood yard (especially at 0500h), and the Russell division (this is the carbarn on Queen at Connaught) can all be heard standing in the street in front of my home at more or less all hours of the day. The loudest is the 506 car. I think this is standard Toronto "city" background noise.

If these noises are issues, then how will we have the right transit for 3.0M people if two or three or ten can cause this havoc?. Unfortunate for sure, but the needs of the many surely outweigh the issues of the few. Not to mention that hundreds of thousands of people live on subway and streetcar and bus and GO train lines and somehow they have survived.

Everyone needs some peace and quiet in their homes. A quiet environment allows for undisturbed sleep, relaxation in one's downtime, the ability to study effectively, and the ability to focus on a task. You sound like you're not being disturbed in your own situation because you have to stand in front of your home to hear all that noise. These people can apparently hear it within their homes and are disturbed by it.

How will we have the right transit? By engineering solutions that keep our environment livable. That means working to reduce noise, emissions and vibrations throughout the city until they're no longer issues. It means that you don't have to be a wealthy farm owner to enjoy some quietness in your own home and to live a healthy and productive life.

Everyone needs some peace and quiet in their homes. A quiet environment allows for undisturbed sleep, relaxation in one's downtime, the ability to study effectively, and the ability to focus on a task. You sound like you're not being disturbed in your own situation because you have to stand in front of your home to hear all that noise. These people can apparently hear it within their homes and are disturbed by it.

How will we have the right transit? By engineering solutions that keep our environment livable. That means working to reduce noise, emissions and vibrations throughout the city until they're no longer issues. It means that you don't have to be a wealthy farm owner to enjoy some quietness in your own home and to live a healthy and productive life.
You have some good points but when you live in a city you have to learn to put up with some noise from everything. As I said before in my home you can hear the bloor Danforth subway going by in the basement it's something you get used to. Plus poel tend to over excature things at times.

You have some good points but when you live in a city you have to learn to put up with some noise from everything. As I said before in my home you can hear the bloor Danforth subway going by in the basement it's something you get used to. Plus poel tend to over excature things at times.

In the west end the residents rebelled and forced the TTC to maintain the subway (about 20 years overdue). With proper maintenance the noise can be mitigated. (imagine TTC living up to its promises)

Likewise on streetcar lines if they cone and allow pivoting wheels the noise can be abated.

On railways there are exemptions to using a whistle to minimize residential impact.

What are you talking about here?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I understand that the more cone-ing there is the less squeal it makes (where the outside of the wheel is smaller than the inside). The trade-off is more frequent replacement of tracks.

Also with pivoting wheels again the squeal at intersections is also abated.

Got a chuckle today when I saw the 514 streetcar wrapped in Coca Cola advertising.....Cherry Coke Express?

I understand that the more cone-ing there is the less squeal it makes (where the outside of the wheel is smaller than the inside). The trade-off is more frequent replacement of tracks.

Also with pivoting wheels again the squeal at intersections is also abated.

The relationship of the wheel taper to the rail profile is quite a bit more complex than simply boiling it down to "one is better for curves", although from a very, very distant view you are right.

But pivoting wheels? Are you talking about trucks that swivel in relation to the car body, or are you referring to radial trucks, where the axles themselves also pivot in a limited fashion when compared to the trucks? Because while both of those can help (and while all of the equipment in use in Toronto have trucks that pivot to some degree), there are many other things that can be done to decrease the noise before you start talking about actual vehicle design.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

P
The relationship of the wheel taper to the rail profile is quite a bit more complex than simply boiling it down to "one is better for curves", although from a very, very distant view you are right.

But pivoting wheels? Are you talking about trucks that swivel in relation to the car body, or are you referring to radial trucks, where the axles themselves also pivot in a limited fashion when compared to the trucks? Because while both of those can help (and while all of the equipment in use in Toronto have trucks that pivot to some degree), there are many other things that can be done to decrease the noise before you start talking about actual vehicle design.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I thought I read here that the Flexity's trucks are fixed.

Instead of converting to double-point track switches (like on the LRT & subway lines), they continue to use single-point switches which means no pivoting wheels. Also double-point track switches are more expensive, so with Tory's budget cut demands, we can't go with double-point switches.

Instead of converting to double-point track switches (like on the LRT & subway lines), they continue to use single-point switches which means no pivoting wheels. Also double-point track switches are more expensive, so with Tory's budget cut demands, we can't go with double-point switches.

Yes and no. Double pointed switches are more complicated to use in manual operation also it would mean tat the entire streetcar network would have to be wired to a central control like the subway is. Doing so would mean they would have to rip up just about every street in Toronto just to install the equipment and new switches for it. The Crosstown will likely either have it's own control tower or be added to the one for the subway system at Hillcrest.

I thought I read here that the Flexity's trucks are fixed.

That has been said here a number of times, but it is not true. The trucks under the Flexities do turn, although it is quite limited when compared to the trucks under the PCCs or CLRVs.

Yes and no. Double pointed switches are more complicated to use in manual operation also it would mean tat the entire streetcar network would have to be wired to a central control like the subway is.

That is not even remotely close to true. There is no reason why a double-point switch can not be controlled locally, or even left unpowered.

Do you really think that all of those switches on the industrial trackage that used to be in the portlands were all powered or centrally controlled?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Do you really think that all of those switches on the industrial trackage that used to be in the portlands were all powered or centrally controlled?

Yes but railroad switches and streetcar switches are completely different. I relly don't think the city or the TTC would want switch stands put in all over the city so that a streetcar driver could manual move a switch.

This weekend I was driving westbound along Eastern and wanted to turn right onto Sumach. Only at the very last minute did I realize that I would be turning right onto streetcar tracks. Very confusing, and I'm not the only one - shortly afterwards I saw someone actually turn onto them, and follow a streetcar all the way up the street.

Back