News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

So how is Seattle transit compared to Toronto transit.
Surprisingly poor. Off-peak bus frequencies of once an hour are considered acceptable - and that's for relatively dense 1920s suburbs of the old city near downtown. Recently they even cut bus service to deal with funding issues, despite the base ridership not dropping. If you think we are behind of mass-transit, you should see this place! A single LRT line into downtown from one side, that's very slowly being extended the opposite direction. Multiple schemes have been cancelled over the years because of dilly-dallying between the local and state governments. It almost makes Toronto look forward-thinking.

Hasn't rained in a couple of weeks though ...

As for inappropriate phone usage on GO. Surely anyone who is that intellectually-challenged to be doing such extreme things in the first place, isn't going to stopped by a voluntary policy.

Last edited:
Surprisingly poor. Off-peak bus frequencies of once an hour are considered acceptable - and that's for relatively dense 1920s suburbs of the old city near downtown. Recently they even cut bus service to deal with funding issues, despite the base ridership not dropping. If you think we are behind of mass-transit, you should see this place! A single LRT line into downtown from one side, that's very slowly being extended the opposite direction. Multiple schemes have been cancelled over the years because of dilly-dallying between the local and state governments. It almost makes Toronto look forward-thinking.

Hasn't rained in a couple of weeks though ...

As for inappropriate phone usage on GO. Surely anyone who is that intellectually-challenged to be doing such extreme things in the first place, isn't going to stopped by a voluntary policy.

Disappointed. And they get state funding too.

Disappointed. And they get state funding too.
Yes ... that's who they blame for the service cut ... because the state didn't show up to provide extra funding.

One advantage of TTC's high fare-box revenue, and 100% of the remaining subsidy coming from the city, is that it's relatively insulated from large-scale service reductions. Even the small ones we had in 2011 were still smaller in total $ saved, by the corresponding service increases the same year from ridership increases (let alone the 2012 and 2013 increases). TTC can respond quickly from ridership increases to increase service, because they get a large $ increase in fares, however in somewhere like Seattle, where farebox recovery is under 20%, then it's hard to increase service (even when there's overcrowding), without taking the time to consult multiple levels of government, to cough up the revenue.

Yes ... that's who they blame for the service cut ... because the state didn't show up to provide extra funding.

One advantage of TTC's high fare-box revenue, and 100% of the remaining subsidy coming from the city, is that it's relatively insulated from large-scale service reductions. Even the small ones we had in 2011 were still smaller in total $ saved, by the corresponding service increases the same year from ridership increases (let alone the 2012 and 2013 increases). TTC can respond quickly from ridership increases to increase service, because they get a large $ increase in fares, however in somewhere like Seattle, where farebox recovery is under 20%, then it's hard to increase service (even when there's overcrowding), without taking the time to consult multiple levels of government, to cough up the revenue.

TTC was never railroaded like that until Harris cut them. That shocks me, I thought the Bus service would be much better.

TTC was never railroaded like that until Harris cut them. That shocks me, I thought the Bus service would be much better.

It seems to me that the Harris cuts were universally popular. The Liberals did not reverse the cuts even though it has been 10 years, and the public has never made this an election issue.

Why is farebox recovery so poor ... that generally implies a very badly managed system, and / or very little demand.

But anyway, that goes along with what my friends have said ... car (and or other means of transportation) culture is predominant.

Completely unrelated but ... I have never liked Seattle, I've always found Vancouver to be much much more interesting, and more full of life.

It seems to me that the Harris cuts were universally popular. The Liberals did not reverse the cuts even though it has been 10 years, and the public has never made this an election issue.

Well politically, but the cuts hurt the TTC.

Why is farebox recovery so poor ... that generally implies a very badly managed system, and / or very little demand.

But anyway, that goes along with what my friends have said ... car (and or other means of transportation) culture is predominant.

Completely unrelated but ... I have never liked Seattle, I've always found Vancouver to be much much more interesting, and more full of life.

Because of poor frequency.

Toronto didn't have the seats required to make it an election issue for Harris.

GO Quiet zones simply gives other passengers the confidence to let the loud person know where to go. Prior to this they collectively put up with it.

BurlOak:

Beyond the hyperbole of the supposed universal popularity of Harris cuts the Liberals did reverse some of them, and certainly the amount of transit expansion during Harris' era was minimal.

Having to pay less taxes is always popular - until the negative impact of that policy decision is felt. Imagine if DRL was funded during the Harris years? We wouldn't be in the predicament we're in now.

AoD

I wonder if they could have got away in time if they had skipped the brake test on reversing.

They tried. Still couldn't get out in time.

The really interesting thing is that Bombardier expected the crew to be back at work the next day.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Just wondering, could they have tried to pull through anyways? Don't know enough about rail physics, but couldn't the weight of the train be enough to run through the water?

Hate to be an internet tough guy, but if I was on that train and after hour #3 I would be tempted to make my way to the cab controls and use my Train Simulator 2013 experience to try and pull through the flooding. Perhaps I would use one of the snakes that came on board as a weapon to keep staff away from me while I worked my magic.

Back