News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

I really can't express how pleased I am with the TTC finally adopting the "tracked" plug sliding door system for their electric bus orders. They should've done this with the most recent hybrid orders as well...

These doors are so much better than the outward opening doors we had with the VIIs that would get stuck in snowbanks, and the inward opening doors we have now taking more interior space away.

These are the best thing since the rare middle "Bode" doors on YRT's AG300s.

I hope these plug doors become the standard across all agencies receiving Metrolinx funding/joint bus purchases!!!

It's interesting the new Novas have glass on the bottom half of the rear door, while on the New Flyers that section is black.

Different door manufacturer?

It would be so nice have Metrolinx bus purchases be as interchangeable between cities/towns as BCTransit manages...

My question is: Are the rear doors button-operated, or touch-bar? I haven't seen a proper interior photo yet.

Sorry @Northern Light, the rear exterior door buttons are now gone.

Ps. The blue lights on the New Flyers are much lighter than the Novas.
I really hate the current batch of busses where the rear doors open inward and take away 4 people's worth of standing room. Other than encouraging people not to stand in the doorway, they're terrible. Glad to hear they're different in the new busses.

TTC welcomes new battery-electric buses

Sept. 27, 2024

This morning, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland and Minister Gary Anandasangaree joined Olivia Chow, Mayor of Toronto, Jamaal Myers, Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) Board Chair and Greg Percy, Interim CEO, TTC, to officially welcome the first new battery-electric buses to the TTC’s eBus fleet.

In 2023, the federal government and the City of Toronto announced a joint investment of $700 million towards the electrification of the TTC’s bus fleet. These two new eBuses are the first of 340 battery-electric vehicles which will be received by the TTC by the end of 2026.

Once all 340 vehicles are received, the TTC will have a total eBus fleet of 400, by far the largest in North America. The funding is also supporting upgrades to install chargers and related infrastructure in seven bus garages.

“Our government knows improving public transit is essential to ensuring our economy reaches its full potential. That is why we are delivering unprecedented investments in reliable and sustainable public transit infrastructure. Today’s arrival of the TTC’s new all-electric buses—just one of the many ways we are helping the TTC grow—will make Torontonians’ commutes quicker and cleaner.” said the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance.

“Public transit is vital to the well-being and daily lives of commuters across the Greater Toronto Area,” said the Honourable Gary Anandasangaree, Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Member of Parliament for Scarborough—Rouge Park. “These two buses are the first of 340 new electric vehicles that will be making their way onto the streets by next year and into 2026. Through investing in sustainable public transit technologies, we are making communities across the country cleaner, quieter, and better connected.”

“Canada is a leader in the fight against climate change – developing and implementing innovative, clean technologies that help to reduce carbon emissions,” said the Honourable Bill Blair, Minister of National Defence and Member of Parliament for Scarborough Southwest. “The arrival of these two all-electric, made-in-Canada buses in Toronto is an important step towards the electrification of the City’s transit fleet and achieving a cleaner, prosperous future for everyone.”

“Reliable, environmentally-friendly public transit has been a priority for me since day one,\" said Mayor Olivia Chow. “I am pleased to work with our partners in the federal government to invest in cleaner and greener transit infrastructure. I look forward to seeing the new battery-electric buses on the streets of our city.”

“Zero-emissions vehicles are the future of sustainable transit,” said TTC Chair, Jamaal Myers. “With these two new battery-electric buses, the TTC continues to increase its fleet of environmentally friendly vehicles and make significant strides towards a zero-emissions future. I want to thank the Government of Canada and the City of Toronto for their partnership and support.”

“These two new battery-electric buses, and the additional eBuses that will be received by 2026, are significant contributors to our goal of being completely zero-emissions by 2040,” said Greg Percy, TTC Interim CEO. “We are proud to be paving the way for transit electrification across North America, and bringing new, clean, quiet vehicles to customers and employees across the City of Toronto.”

The TTC is a leader in zero emissions fleet management in North America and is now procuring only all-electric buses. These new battery-electric buses are being manufactured by New Flyer Industries Canada and Nova Bus. Once all 340 eBuses are received, battery-electric buses will make up approximately 20 per cent of the TTC's entire bus fleet and will serve communities all over the city. The TTC continues to work towards electrifying its entire operations by 2040.

TTC welcomes new battery-electric buses

Sept. 27, 2024

This morning, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland and Minister Gary Anandasangaree joined Olivia Chow, Mayor of Toronto, Jamaal Myers, Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) Board Chair and Greg Percy, Interim CEO, TTC, to officially welcome the first new battery-electric buses to the TTC’s eBus fleet.

In 2023, the federal government and the City of Toronto announced a joint investment of $700 million towards the electrification of the TTC’s bus fleet. These two new eBuses are the first of 340 battery-electric vehicles which will be received by the TTC by the end of 2026.

Once all 340 vehicles are received, the TTC will have a total eBus fleet of 400, by far the largest in North America. The funding is also supporting upgrades to install chargers and related infrastructure in seven bus garages.

“Our government knows improving public transit is essential to ensuring our economy reaches its full potential. That is why we are delivering unprecedented investments in reliable and sustainable public transit infrastructure. Today’s arrival of the TTC’s new all-electric buses—just one of the many ways we are helping the TTC grow—will make Torontonians’ commutes quicker and cleaner.” said the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance.

“Public transit is vital to the well-being and daily lives of commuters across the Greater Toronto Area,” said the Honourable Gary Anandasangaree, Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Member of Parliament for Scarborough—Rouge Park. “These two buses are the first of 340 new electric vehicles that will be making their way onto the streets by next year and into 2026. Through investing in sustainable public transit technologies, we are making communities across the country cleaner, quieter, and better connected.”

“Canada is a leader in the fight against climate change – developing and implementing innovative, clean technologies that help to reduce carbon emissions,” said the Honourable Bill Blair, Minister of National Defence and Member of Parliament for Scarborough Southwest. “The arrival of these two all-electric, made-in-Canada buses in Toronto is an important step towards the electrification of the City’s transit fleet and achieving a cleaner, prosperous future for everyone.”

“Reliable, environmentally-friendly public transit has been a priority for me since day one,\" said Mayor Olivia Chow. “I am pleased to work with our partners in the federal government to invest in cleaner and greener transit infrastructure. I look forward to seeing the new battery-electric buses on the streets of our city.”

“Zero-emissions vehicles are the future of sustainable transit,” said TTC Chair, Jamaal Myers. “With these two new battery-electric buses, the TTC continues to increase its fleet of environmentally friendly vehicles and make significant strides towards a zero-emissions future. I want to thank the Government of Canada and the City of Toronto for their partnership and support.”

“These two new battery-electric buses, and the additional eBuses that will be received by 2026, are significant contributors to our goal of being completely zero-emissions by 2040,” said Greg Percy, TTC Interim CEO. “We are proud to be paving the way for transit electrification across North America, and bringing new, clean, quiet vehicles to customers and employees across the City of Toronto.”

The TTC is a leader in zero emissions fleet management in North America and is now procuring only all-electric buses. These new battery-electric buses are being manufactured by New Flyer Industries Canada and Nova Bus. Once all 340 eBuses are received, battery-electric buses will make up approximately 20 per cent of the TTC's entire bus fleet and will serve communities all over the city. The TTC continues to work towards electrifying its entire operations by 2040.
Another instance of the TTC going forward with buses (NovaBus eBuses) which very well prove to be lemons due to unnecessary pure political pressure and lofty aspirations. We already had a CNG mess, a hybrid-electric mess, and now a potential eBus mess if the NovaBus' do not perform well.

They procured 150 of those eBuses, but they are conveniently testing their performance AFTER placing an order for them. Big mistake. Although I realize this was done so they could secure federal funds, it's an extremely high risk move. In my view, they should have gone with a majority batch of New Flyer ebuses until they were satisfied with testing of the NovaBus'.

Reactions: max
Have the New Flyers been shown to be any better? Haven't a whole bunch of them been out of service for many months?

Have the New Flyers been shown to be any better? Haven't a whole bunch of them been out of service for many months?
The New Flyers have been by far and away the most reliable of the 3 small fleets purchased for testing, although they still don't have the availability of the diesel-powered versions. But a lot of their downtime can be chalked up to the issues with having very small distinct and different fleets within a much larger, homogeneous one: fewer spare parts on hand requiring more time sitting and waiting for new parts to arrive, fewer tools, fewer trained mechanics to work on them, etc.

Their availability will go up in the future once they become part of a larger fleet.

Dan

The New Flyers have been by far and away the most reliable of the 3 small fleets purchased for testing, although they still don't have the availability of the diesel-powered versions. But a lot of their downtime can be chalked up to the issues with having very small distinct and different fleets within a much larger, homogeneous one: fewer spare parts on hand requiring more time sitting and waiting for new parts to arrive, fewer tools, fewer trained mechanics to work on them, etc.

Their availability will go up in the future once they become part of a larger fleet.

Dan
Good to know New Flyer is better. They're buses are better looking and a more comfortable ride compared to Nova. This is great information.

I heard Nova reps were at the Birchmount garage yesterday too. I assume either lobbying or technical support.
As mentioned , Nova is a risk, but didn't they buy a Proterra battery business?

With supply chain issues, and the range the that aren't as long as the diesel counterparts , TTC will either have to have more storage to accommodate more buses , and a higher surplus.

Spoke with a TTC employee at the open house today. He mentioned briefly that the Nova Bus may actually go into service before the New Flyer as it was performing better during their test runs last week.

While on the topic of the open house: the employee in the upholstery shop gave me the impression that non-upholstered seats are not set in stone and those on the new battery-electric buses are part of a wider test. So there’s definitely a window to give the TTC your opinion. @Northern Light

Last edited:
Nashville and Louisville Proterra buses are out of service due to issues with the overhead charging system.

The surprised for me was Greensboro NC who has 17 Proterra ebuses out of the 35 buses they have for the fleet. They are the only systems I have seen first had to have more than 5 to date. it also had New Flyer and Gillig buses in the fleet as well.

Saw only one Gillig ebuses in my travels this summer and it was part of pilot program for Charlotte and they also have New Flyer who has 15 buses as part of the program. There are currently only 2 Gillig ebuses on site with NF having 4.

Saw a number of NF ebuses in service for a few other systems.

Did catch 3 BYD K7M for a small system using small ENC E-Z buses and a couple Gillig HEV 35'. Did come across a number of systems going CNG

Over all, way more NF ebuses than Gillig ebuses on the road in the US that I have seen to date. The few systems I have seen in the past, don't have any Nova Buses in the fleet anymore.

Reactions: PL1

Back