News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I would say this is one of the main differences between the Miller vs Ford regime.

Miller would simply slap an increase (in fact his terms had the most increases in TTC history), while Ford and friends will try their darn hardest to avoid it.

Ah, of course, I figured someone would buy into the narrative they've been trying to spin.

Fare increases are not by definition bad. When they're paying for expanded service or are done to forestall cuts, they're par for the course. This proposed fare increase was to come WITH A service cut. Literally the very definition of paying more for less.

Of course it was all a distraction. Now we're supposed to feel appreciative because we're paying the same for less.

Ah, of course, I figured someone would buy into the narrative they've been trying to spin.

Fare increases are not by definition bad. When they're paying for expanded service or are done to forestall cuts, they're par for the course. This proposed fare increase was to come WITH A service cut. Literally the very definition of paying more for less.

Of course it was all a distraction. Now we're supposed to feel appreciative because we're paying the same for less.

That is if the expanded service makes sense... Mostly doesn't unfortunately.
As someone who has to rely on public transit to get downtown, I am pissed beyond belief in the recent years that fares have gone up nearly a dollar, my commute downtown has worsened to the point that I WILL buy a car because a 10 minute drive down the Gardiner sure beats sitting in a streetcar for an hour looking at pedestrians walking faster than the tin can I'm sitting in.

This is a situation that most Torontonians have to deal with.. How about you downtown dwellers step back and realize that the REALITY of the situation is far different and FAR WORSE than anything you could really imagine. I applaud the fact that we now have a mayor who will shake things up in City Hall and get this decade of complacency to come to an end. Change has to happen and nobody is more likely to do it than Ford.

Isn't Ford supposed to know how to run a businness? Would he announce to the board "we're broke", and then a couple of days later go "wait...shit...i found money, don't worry about it"? It's all a bit suspicious, no?

my commute downtown has worsened to the point that I WILL buy a car because a 10 minute drive down the Gardiner sure beats sitting in a streetcar for an hour looking at pedestrians walking faster than the tin can I'm sitting in.

This is a situation that most Torontonians have to deal with.. How about you downtown dwellers step back and realize that the REALITY of the situation is far different and FAR WORSE than anything you could really imagine.

Interesting, wouldn't downtowners be the MOST subceptible to delays on the streetcar? Besides, wait till you have to find and pay for parking in DT...

AoD

That is if the expanded service makes sense... Mostly doesn't unfortunately.
As someone who has to rely on public transit to get downtown, I am pissed beyond belief in the recent years that fares have gone up nearly a dollar, my commute downtown has worsened to the point that I WILL buy a car because a 10 minute drive down the Gardiner sure beats sitting in a streetcar for an hour looking at pedestrians walking faster than the tin can I'm sitting in.

This is a situation that most Torontonians have to deal with.. How about you downtown dwellers step back and realize that the REALITY of the situation is far different and FAR WORSE than anything you could really imagine. I applaud the fact that we now have a mayor who will shake things up in City Hall and get this decade of complacency to come to an end. Change has to happen and nobody is more likely to do it than Ford.

None of this has anything to do with what's on the table, but thanks for playing. Sounds like what you're looking for is increased funding for streetcar routes to put more vehicles on the line and a change in management practices to ensure better line management. I'd be with you on that.

None of this has anything to do with what's on the table, but thanks for playing. Sounds like what you're looking for is increased funding for streetcar routes to put more vehicles on the line and a change in management practices to ensure better line management. I'd be with you on that.

The first thing we're not likely to see until the new streetcars arrive. It will be interesting to see what kind of headways the new streetcars use along Queen and King. Will they be further apart (because of the greater capacity), or is the demand elastic enough to justify keeping the same headways as they currently have?

The second, well good luck with that one.

a 10 minute drive down the Gardiner sure beats sitting in a streetcar for an hour looking at pedestrians walking faster than the tin can I'm sitting in.

Sounds like another vote to run streetcars in their own median ROW so they don't have to deal with private cars blocking their path and cutting them off. You'd think that would have you supporting Transit City.

Interesting, wouldn't downtowners be the MOST subceptible to delays on the streetcar? Besides, wait till you have to find and pay for parking in DT...

AoD

You do know that the short turns streetcars face is to provide service in downtown, while the ends of the lines simply get screwed. Right?

I would say this is one of the main differences between the Miller vs Ford regime.

Miller would simply slap an increase (in fact his terms had the most increases in TTC history), while Ford and friends will try their darn hardest to avoid it.
This just isn't true. The 1992 increase alone dwarfs the entire 7 years when Miller was mayor (fares increased 54%, and tokens and passes increased about 20% that year). The 4 increases during Millers mayoralty average about 4% a year for tokens and cash, and only 2.9% for Metropasses. Increases in the 7 years from 1985 to 1992 were average well over 10% a year. Even ignoring the large 1992 increase, the increases in the previous 7 years average over 5% and 6% for Metropases. Increases were annual from 1981 to 1993.

He doesn't even have the most increases per mayor; While Lastman seemed to have 3 in 6 years, Eggleton had 10 increases in 10 years.

I don't understand the need to make factual statements that are so fundamentally false.

Last edited:
Let's just be glad that there will be no increases this year although they will be inevitable in the future.

We all know that the TTC's way at managing their budget is totally wrong (to think they wanted a brand new HQ)
Before increasing the fares, that they rethink the way they operate before submitting requests for increasing fares.
I have no doubt that there's money being wasted and that has to be addressed first

I thought the brand-new HQ was actually supposed to save money, by consolidating offices under one roof and avoid the need for safety upgrades to the Davisville site. But hey, why let the facts get in the way.

I thought the brand-new HQ was actually supposed to save money, by consolidating offices under one roof and avoid the need for safety upgrades to the Davisville site. But hey, why let the facts get in the way.

Like I said, they need to rethink the way they do business. There should be more supervisors on the roads, stations instead of being behind a desk.

Management culture needs to change and there needs to be money available to invest in strategies that will improve service. The guy standing on a street corner 'supervising' the Queen route know less about the positions of streetcars than I do sitting at my desk watching the NextBus maps.

This just isn't true. The 1992 increase alone dwarfs the entire 7 years when Miller was mayor (fares increased 54%, and tokens and passes increased about 20% that year).

And that was WHEN the TTC was getting funding from the province AND during a recession...

Does anyone know the details behind that fare increase?

Back