8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Electrify

Member Bio
Reaction score
It will cost Metropass users $60 a year, or $5 a month, more to ride the TTC next year.
The Toronto Transit Commission has approved a base five-cent increase to the cost of a token, bringing it to $2.70. In addition the cost of an adult Metropass is being boosted by one trip — from 48.5 tokens to 49.5.
The decision, at a special meeting Wednesday, came with reluctance by transit commissioners, who made plans to join with TTC riders to put pressure on senior governments to boost their subsidies.
The Metropass increase to $133.75 a month — with commensurate adjustments to the student and senior passes — was chosen over the option of increasing the $3 cash fare by 25 cents. Instead, the cash fare will rise by only a nickel, to $3.05.
Transit commissioner Alan Heisey, who could not attend the meeting, circulated a chart showing that unemployed riders were more likely to be affected by the cash increase because they can’t afford Metropasses.
TTC CEO Andy Byford said riders are at their limit.
“I do not believe you can continue to ask users to pay more and more. There is a limit,” he told the commission.
TTC chair Karen Stintz and Byford had tried to persuade the city to increase its subsidy to the equivalent of 82 cents per ride. But, while he agreed to increase the transit subsidy for the first time in two years, the city manager agreed to a subsidy equal to only 79 cents.
Not approving the TTC’s operating budget with the fare increase isn’t an option, Stintz said. However, next year, the TTC must be more aggressive in seeking a greater subsidy, she said.
The city manager has agreed to a $428 million subsidy, more than the $411 million the TTC has received in each of the past two years. The TTC has an approximately $1.5 billion operating budget

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...considers_boosting_token_cost_by_5_cents.html

Very disappointed with them raising token and Metropass fares over the cash fare. Please feel free to correct me, but hasn't the cash fare been frozen at $3 for the last few years/fare hikes, while token prices have gone from $2.50 to $2.70 now? The 5 cent increase on cash is even more ridiculous, as how many fare disputes are going to be over a nickel?

Finally, the TTC should be looking at lowering the amount of rides needed to make a Metropass cost effective, not increasing it! This is only going to make things more difficult for them when Presto and two hour transfers come into effect in the next couple of years.

EDIT: CASH FARES WILL REMAIN AT $3, $3.05 WAS AN ERROR ON THE STAR'S PART AND IT HAS BEEN CORRECTED!!!

Last edited:
Andy Byford was on the radio this morning and was explaining that the average fair/ride the TTC gets is around $2 but if it were $3 they would be close to breakeven. (that is a brief summary of a very long answer he gave).

So these changes seem to be an effort to get the average fair closer to the $3 mark.

You could argue that the other way to do that would be to raise the cash fare but, reading between the lines, I would bet they have concluded that the cash fare people who are paying $3 a ride are more likely to be the ones that are making a "spot" decision to ride or not to ride whereas the token buyers and Metropass users are more likely riders of necessity.....so the cash fare rider is more likely to be "scared away" by a price hike than the others....just a guess.

how the hell are people expected to pay $3.05? Its easy enough dropping a toonie and a loonie in the bin now, why do people have to add a nickel?

how the hell are people expected to pay $3.05? Its easy enough dropping a toonie and a loonie in the bin now, why do people have to add a nickel?

The "official" rate will be $3.05, the non-cynical part of me wants to agree. What's the point?
The cynical side of me says of course you're not going to easily have a nickel on you. You might have a dime. Or a quarter. Or another loonie. The real cash fare will be $3.10, or $3.25, or $4.00. Or if the driver isn't a tight ass, $3.00 if you explain.

So wait, it's a victory for taxpayers to eliminate a mandatory non-tax 5-cent bag charge, but OK to force TTC passengers to hoard nickels? There will be a lot more passenger-driver conflicts over a damned nickel.

I was really hoping that they would be holding the cash fare at $3.00 as long as reasonably possible, or at least just make the direct jump to $3.25. I would have much preferred the regular fare to go to $2.75 and kept the cash fare at $3.00. It certainly would have made buying tokens simpler with the 2.75 price.

TTC cash/token fares: Keep it simple!

INH and everyone: I agree with your thoughts about TTC fares - It would be just that much easier for fares to be rounded off evenly - a $3 cash fare would be perfect - does the TTC actually need that extra nickel from cash fare riders?
Will there still be enough of a savings incentive to use tokens?

In New York and Philadelphia-the two cities I go to most often and use transit in-they have both had fare increases in the past year and both systems show riders how to save on their rides through their respective web pages:
NYC: www.mta.info/fares/ and Philadelphia: www.septa.org (see 2013 fares section and NPT) and they also sell all fare types in quantity at: www.shop.septa.org

One question: Will TTC transfers remain free? NYC has kept that option for pay-per-ride Metrocards or cash - the only limit is with cash you can not transfer between mode types (Ex: Subway to Bus) without additional fare...
In Philadelphia CTD and Suburban Transit transfers for cash and token riders are $1 for each additional ride - and will be eliminated with their coming NPT smart card system in later 2014 or 2015...

In closing I feel that transit riders do not need to be "nickeled and dimed" for any reason - just keep it simple to pay the fare...it's that easy!

LI MIKE

Presto is going to run havoc on the TTC's finances when it comes out. Being able to tap a card will provide much of the convenience of a monthly pass, only that you won't have to be addicted to the system to make it cost efficient. Even if they manage to keep their current transfer policy with Presto (which I predict will be more trouble than it is worth), there is something psychologically different tapping a card compared to giving something physically away. Not to mention how it is easier to keep track of how much you ride with the Presto website, more people will realize that it is cheaper to pay from your e-purse rather than getting a Metropass, even with stop over and extra trips.

In short, I really don't want to be the person working the books in 3 or so years...

I'm confused. I thought they were keeping cash fare at $3.00, and only raising the price of the Metropass and Tokens. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm confused. I thought they were keeping cash fare at $3.00, and only raising the price of the Metropass and Tokens. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This Star artice agrees with you Dev:

The TTC board elected to add the cost of another ride to the Metropass — from 48.5 to 49.5 — rather than increase the $3 cash fare to $3.25. It was an effort to reduce the impact on unemployed people who are more likely to pay cash because they can’t afford a monthly pass.

Source

and BlogTO:

Get ready to dig a little deeper at the Metropass office in 2014 - the TTC has decided to hike the cost of a monthly pass and pack of tokens by a nickel per ride. Under the budget approved this afternoon, cash fares will remain $3.00 while tokens and PRESTO rides climb to $2.70 each. A monthly Metropass will cost $133.75, an increase of $5.25.

Last edited:
Raising Fares Is Not the Only Way to Fund Public Transportation

Read More: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/co...not-only-way-fund-public-transportation/7601/

PDF Report: http://www.vtpi.org/tranfund.pdf

The always thorough Todd Litman of the Victoria Transport Policy Institute released a report last week analyzing 18 local options for funding public transportation. Fare increases are there, of course, along with the gas tax, the vehicle-miles traveled fee, high-occupancy toll lanes, land value capture, and basic advertising. Litman also includes non-intuitive ideas like priced parking programs, which a city might implement on its own merit, but which could also generate revenue diverted to the transit system.

There are also several ideas in the bunch that are relatively unknown. An "employee levy," for instance, charges a small fee to large employers in a heavy transit area, with the idea that the company's workers contribute a good deal to commuter congestion. A "parking levy," meanwhile, puts a special tax on non-residential spaces in a corridor, on the belief that these drivers benefit from strong transit with better auto access. --- Litman evaluates each of his 18 funding options on eight criteria: revenue potential, stability, equity (both horizontal equity, meaning across all users, and vertical equity, meaning across all social classes), travel impact, development impact, public opinion, and implementation. He scores each option on each criteria on a scale from -3 to 3 points.

- The highest-scoring transit funding option was discounted bulk passes. These are passes sold in bulk to certain groups of people — often students or local workers. The revenue potential is modest, because the riders get a deal, but the passes create rider loyalty over the long term, which increases funding stability. The programs are also equitable, encourage transit use and transit-oriented development, and have a high rate of public approval. --- The lowest-scoring option was raising fares. The revenue potential of a fare hike is fairly strong, with a 10 percent jump creating 5 to 8 percent more revenue in the short term. But fare hikes are regressive, hurting low-income riders more than wealthy ones, and may discourage use. And, as every city official knows, the public hates them.

- Litman's scoring system is admittedly subjective. It can also be a bit misleading at times. Advertising scores very high, for instance, and has some natural advantages in terms of equity (we all hate ads), travel impact (none) and implementation (easy). It also has disadvantages as a funding mechanism that don't seem to get equal weight in this particular scoring system. Chief among them is the fact that revenue potential is incredibly low.

- Litman concludes that no single method on his list has the ability to resolve a transit agency's funding problems. What works for some places won't work for others: selling station air rights, for example, will work much better in a high-density environment like New York than in a mid-size city without rail transit. Litman concludes that cities must use a "variety of funding options" to meet the unique needs of their own system.

sB5cKQc.jpg

This Star artice agrees with you Dev:

Source

The Toronto Star edited the article. It originally said this:

"The Metropass increase to $133.75 a month — with commensurate adjustments to the student and senior passes — was chosen over the option of increasing the $3 cash fare by 25 cents. Instead, the cash fare will rise by only a nickel, to $3.05."

Back