News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It looks like the track bed is starting to be pulled up at Spadina and Willcocks - will try to get some photos.

Does anyone know what sort of warning signals these new streetcars will have for cars driving behind them to notify drivers when passengers are going to get off/come on? The current streetcars have doors that open up, so it kind of gives the drivers a hint. The new streetcars look to have sliding doors, so much harder for drivers to see.

Does anyone know what sort of warning signals these new streetcars will have for cars driving behind them to notify drivers when passengers are going to get off/come on? The current streetcars have doors that open up, so it kind of gives the drivers a hint. The new streetcars look to have sliding doors, so much harder for drivers to see.
There are special strips of vertical red LED lights that illuminate when the doors are open for precisely this purpose.

There will be signs on the back of the streetcar that tell drivers not to pass a stopped streetcar, as well as red lights beside the doors that will face drivers. There will definitely be a learning curve here and they will definitely need to re-educate drivers on how to share the roads with streetcars.

Many if not most streetcar drivers won't open the doors in the first place if it looks like an automobile is going to not stop.

I'd think the best rule of thumb is simply not to try and pass a streetcar that is stopped at a stop, whether the doors are open or not.

Was this a problem with the older streetcars that had sliding rear doors?

Was there going to be an audible signal as well, or am I imagining that?

And is there any indication of which routes might get the new streetcars first?

And is there any indication of which routes might get the new streetcars first?
Spadina in late 2013, early 2014. Though I've heard whispers that the prototypes that arrive this year will be seen on St. Clair. Though it wasn't clear to me if they would be in revenue service, or just running back and forth (though they'll traverse the entire network as well ... but presumably they want to focus training and testing on a particular strip of track).

There will be a strip of LED lights on the edge of the door that will light up, and the "do not pass open doors" sign on the rear will flash.

streetcar%20tb.png

Back