News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

drum118, thanks for the video! I was out of town this weekend, so wasn't able to go to the parade. Having the streetcars all lined up like that certainly would have provided a great perspective on Toronto's transit history.

I still don't see how these long beasts will get around crowded corners like westbound at Gerrard and Parliament without jamming up the intersection.

temporary_zps63447081.jpg

Ha. Good point. I ride that route every day. It's so long it will be turning Northbound onto Parliament from Gerrard at the same time as it will be turning Westbound onto Carlton from Parliament. :D

I assume they'll use the current technique of waiting till the light is red and then entering the intersection slowly, ensuring that those with the green light will have to wait another cycle before they can proceed. Do cops ever ticket streetcar drivers? I see this happen daily.

Ha. Good point. I ride that route every day. It's so long it will be turning Northbound onto Parliament from Gerrard at the same time as it will be turning Westbound onto Carlton from Parliament. :D

I assume they'll use the current technique of waiting till the light is red and then entering the intersection slowly, ensuring that those with the green light will have to wait another cycle before they can proceed. Do cops ever ticket streetcar drivers? I see this happen daily.

Could they not introduce a streetcar cycle to the light?

The TTC used run streetcar trains. Originally, Peter Witt streetcars and trailer, later two PCC streetcars coupled together. One such streetcar train would be about the same length as one new Outlook streetcar. That is why they settled on the length, since that's the length the roadways can handle.

[video=youtube_share;EcdGOcq0ZKU]http://youtu.be/EcdGOcq0ZKU[/video]

The TTC used run streetcar trains. Originally, Peter Witt streetcars and trailer, later two PCC streetcars coupled together. One such streetcar train would be about the same length as one new Outlook streetcar. That is why they settled on the length, since that's the length the roadways can handle.

Do you know if the two car trains were just run on Bloor? Or other routes as well?

I think it was just Yonge and Bloor that had them. Maybe Queen.

Into the late 1920s and early 1930s, most routes downtown ran with trailers at rush hours.

Yonge continued to run with trailers until the closing of the streetcar line and opening of the subway in 1954, and Bloor-Danforth until 1966. Queen MU service ended around 1978.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

From the 2014-2018 TTC MULTI-YEAR ACCESSIBILITY PLAN, dated April 30, 2014, at this link:

Low-Floor Streetcar Deployment Plan
Route
First New Streetcar
510 Spadina
511 Bathurst
509 Harbourfront
505 Dundas
501 Queen
508 Lakeshore
504 King
512 St Clair
502 Downtowner
503 Kingston Road
506 Carlton

Note: Schedule is subject to change.

Over the next five years, TTC will continue to prepare for the new low-floor streetcars and improve accessibility by modifying existing streetcar platforms and working with the City to install new curb ramps at streetcar stops. In 2014, this work will include the platforms on The Queensway and along Roncesvalles Avenue, the platform at Spadina Station, and curb ramps on Dundas Street, King Street, and parts of Queen Street. All curb ramp and streetcar platform accessibility work will be completed by 2018. Fare-vending machines will be installed at high-demand streetcar stops as part of this work to allow customers to purchase their fares before boarding.

Back