News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why do you think the pan am games will increase transit use .. I honestly don't think it will .. not one bit ..
It doesn't matter if it get's increased use or not. They've already announced it will get increased service. And for once there won't be any construction detours, so all streetcar routes will be running for perhaps the first time in many years.

According to the NP article on Leslie Barns (see the thread on that subject) Thunder Bay is to roll out streetcars "every 10 days". Wonder how long it will take them to reach that tempo...

According to the NP article on Leslie Barns (see the thread on that subject) Thunder Bay is to roll out streetcars "every 10 days". Wonder how long it will take them to reach that tempo...

Drum's hypothesis:
We may see 4404 this month, but more likely in Nov along with 4405 on the road. As for others, most likely 4406 in Jan with 2 a month and wait to see if we will get 3 per month or more to get caught up as promises.

Ultimately, they'll be having to roll one out ever 5 days, once deliveries of the Metrolinx Flexity Freedoms fully kicks in around 2016. It will be interesting to see what they can manage. T

hough perhaps once they finish the remaining 162 TR cars (27 trainsets), they intend to use that workforce to build the Flexity Freedoms ... though I don't see how they'll be finished those before 2016 at this rate - they've never managed to sustain 2 trainsets a month.

Last edited:
Ultimately, they'll be having to roll one out ever 5 days, once deliveries of the Metrolinx Flexity Freedoms fully kicks in around 2016. It will be interesting to see what they can manage. T

hough perhaps once they finish the remaining 162 TR cars (27 trainsets), they intend to use that workforce to build the Flexity Freedoms ... though I don't see how they'll be finished those before 2016 at this rate - they've never managed to sustain 2 trainsets a month.

If things go well they'll reach 60 trainsets at the end of this year, and with 18 in 2015 (which was what they delivered in 2013) would get to 78, leaving two for 2016. If they delivered two per month since April 2011, 80 trainsets would be delivered by the end of this year. We're currently at 56.

The Bombardier strike ended in mid-September. The workers should have returned two-weeks after. They were working on the new streetcars before the strike. They should have shipped those "completed" streetcars by now.

The Peter Witt streetcar with its visible safety bar ("cowcatcher") in front. Any obstacle hitting the safety bar drops a scoop (the "real cowcatcher") behind it, to hopefully lift it up before it hits the wheels.
20100717-NT7.jpg

The PCC streetcar with its safety bar ("cowcatcher") visible in front.
2012316-pcc-harbourfront.jpg

The Bombardier Outlook with...?
urbantoronto-8324-27223.png

I'm guessing they're hoping the round front shape would deflect any "obstacle" to the sides. Hope the cow will come out okay.

Attachments

• 20100717-NT7.jpg
    20100717-NT7.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 2012316-pcc-harbourfront.jpg
    2012316-pcc-harbourfront.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,241
  • urbantoronto-8324-27223.png
    urbantoronto-8324-27223.png
    974.6 KB · Views: 1,536
Last edited:
Maybe when the purpose of the cowcatcher was to catch cows, it was considered a necessary addition. Now that the cows are gone, protecting pedestrian just doesn't seem that important.

I'm guessing they're hoping the round front shape would deflect any "obstacle" to the sides. Hope the cow will come out okay.

Well, the world didn't come to an end when the ALRV's and CLRV's were deployed 30+ years ago without a cow catcher, so I imagine these new ones would have the same impact.

Well, the world didn't come to an end when the ALRV's and CLRV's were deployed 30+ years ago without a cow catcher, so I imagine these new ones would have the same impact.
Maybe, but with the growing locavore movement here it is possible that we will see more cows wandering the streets and cow-catchers may become increasingly necessary.

The world didn't come to an end, but 3 deaths on St. Clair alone in just over a months time does seem high.

The world didn't come to an end, but 3 deaths on St. Clair alone in just over a months time does seem high.
I think there was only 2. Oddly, both in their 70s ... which isn't typical of the demographic I see crossing the street. And especially not the demographic I see running in front of streetcars ... which always seem to be younger, not older.

I wonder what other factors there were.

Back