News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Monday, expect a high of 34°C today. One very good reason for the Flexity, air conditioning!

Wonder if the TTC had to pay the $100 + HST air conditioning tax for each new Flexity?

Since the ridership is light on 509 and the push for 514, TTC will push as many new cars onto 514 until there is 10 of them late this year. The goal still remain to have 510 100% new cars, then move to 509 after 514 is done and then onto 511. As it been stated, one hand said something one day, then the other say something different a few days later that cause confusion, because the 2 hands don't talk to each other in the first place. Everything is a moving target and take things with a grain of salt until you see it.
Given the small size of Fleet Loop which also has to handle 511, I think it makes sense to not have a bunch of Flexities bunching along there for now. It will be interesting to see what if anything changes after Ex Loop reopens, of course.

Chicagoans are deeply impressed by the TTC's newfound progress. The newest station on the Chicago "L" (Conservatory–Central Park Drive) was completed in 2001 and future stations are all in the planning stage (though Washington/Wabash station is awaiting construction), while Toronto has many stations being under construction.

It's easy to get a glowing comparison from North American counterparts that performs poorly. Not the greatest thing to aspire to (and those that does would do well to look at the wasted opportunity of the 80s and drought of the 90s/early 00s)

AoD

When they run the car and punch in 509 to the trump unit, it shows up on the 509 route. It's reports the same 43.5,-79.5 in the past month nevertheless. Brad Ross confirm not too long ago that it doesn't have a GPS.
Oh, so trump unit, and no GPS. Odd, I thought it was a power issue, but I thought it was the same power.

Given the small size of Fleet Loop which also has to handle 511, I think it makes sense to not have a bunch of Flexities bunching along there for now. It will be interesting to see what if anything changes after Ex Loop reopens, of course.
511 isn't looping at Fleet Loop any longer - it's looping in Exhibition Place - as it's going to be run by buses - until Exhibition Loop re-opens AFAIK.

4422 arrived Toronto on Friday, delivery to Hillcrest today.

Anyone up at 6:00 am Sunday, they can watch 4422 get move from Hillcrest to the Barns. Will go south on Bathurst and east on Queen.

4422 being pulled (!) to the Barns on Sunday morning around 9am:
4422.jpg

So new, the wheels were still squeaky.

Attachments

• 4422.jpg
    4422.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 962
511 isn't looping at Fleet Loop any longer - it's looping in Exhibition Place - as it's going to be run by buses - until Exhibition Loop re-opens AFAIK.
Thanks - when I wrote that I wasn't fully aware of the scope of the College/Bathurst works and consequent 511 bustitution.

interesting thath it didn't make the trip[ under it's own power

I suspect they want to do the first post-shipment application of power under controlled and monitorable conditions, i.e. with bench power rather than straight off the catenary. There's probably also a lot of 'remove before use' safety covers and interlocks that need to be pulled before they can even do that, and the maintenance pits and catwalks at Leslie are the ideal place to handle that sort of thing.

Edit: Of course if the other Flexities left Hillcrest under their own power (I haven't been paying attention long enough to know) then I'm completely out to lunch. Nfitz' point that it was likely done to beat the intersection closure makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
interesting thath it didn't make the trip[ under it's own power
I didn't know they moved it. I kept thinking it was a shame that it would be stuck up there while Bathurst/College is ripped up for the next few weeks.

I expect this was done simply as an expedient way to get it to Leslie before they ripped up the intersection at 7 AM Monday morning.

Is it me, or is there a subtle shade of difference in the red between the two cars?

Or perhaps it's just the lighting.

Back