News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Thats (december delivery) probably not going to happen based on their performance. I expect them to announce another "revised" schedule AKA we are late and have no idea when we'll recover

Can someone articulate how the company can fail this badly? This has been going on for years.

There are multiple production lines underway at Thunder Bay, and the Metrolinx cars are currently on a separate one from the TTC's. And it sounds as if once the production is moved to Kingston that the line currently assembling the Metrolinx cars will produce TTC's Flexities as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
It's not like that line is moving any quicker either. Where is that Metrolinx prototype? It's already a month past Aug 31th.

At this rate they need 4 assembly lines to meet one every week.

It's not like that line is moving any quicker either. Where is that Metrolinx prototype? It's already a month past Aug 31th.

At this rate they need 4 assembly lines to meet one every week.

I really don't understand how they can't get this right. I wish someone at BBD would leak to the media the actual reasons for these persistent delays. It's been three or four years of this nonsense.

Meanwhile Toronto had/has no option to consider these other suppliers for our streetcars due to the TTC's stubborn adherence to track routing with turn radii and accessibility outside of the global industry norms. Had we changed the routing to eliminate the tighter turns (we have lots of decom'd track in Toronto) and followed the American standards for accessibility https://www.transportation.gov/accessibility we could have considered streetcars from other manufacturers that supply streetcars to American and European cities, including Siemens, Inekon, Alstom and Hitachi.

lflrv17c.jpg

lflrv18c.jpg

Meanwhile Toronto had/has no option to consider these other suppliers for our streetcars due to the TTC's stubborn adherence to track routing with turn radii and accessibility outside of the global industry norms. Had we changed the routing to eliminate the tighter turns (we have lots of decom'd track in Toronto) and followed the American standards for accessibility https://www.transportation.gov/accessibility we could have considered streetcars from other manufacturers that supply streetcars to American and European cities, including Siemens, Inekon, Alstom and Hitachi.

lflrv17c.jpg

lflrv18c.jpg

How much would that all have cost? It doesn't look like it would be cheap. Especially if it meant a rebuild of Union Station Loop, as your graphic indicates.

Modifying the curves to a 20m radius means the tracks would be cutting across the sidewalks at some intersections. Maybe some buildings would be in the way.

And the track geometry did not limit us to Bombardier, there were other bidders.

Last edited:
Modifying the curves to a 20m radius means the tracks would be cutting across the sidewalks at some intersections. Maybe some buildings would be in the way.

That's just horizontal curves component.

Another major non-standard item is vertical curves (transition from level to a slope) and the grade of the slope itself; so Queens Quay and Spadina ramps get a rebuilt and we expropriate probably $500M in property along Bathurst to flatten it.

In fact, I think the vertical issues are the worse of the 2. Horizontal curves would be straight forward to manage if it wasn't for all the extra powered wheels TTC vehicles require.

Last edited:
That's just horizontal curves component.

Another major non-standard item is vertical curves (transition from level to a slope) and the grade of the slope itself; so Queens Quay and Spadina ramps get a rebuilt and we expropriate probably $500M in property along Bathurst to flatten it.

In fact, I think the vertical issues are the worse of the 2. Horizontal curves would be straight forward to manage if it wasn't for all the extra powered wheels TTC vehicles require.
We'll see enough public outcry leading to half the system being abandon if we proceed with such thing.

I don't even consider Detroit a city outside their tiny urban downtown. If you can bulldoze abandon buildings and make use of empty lots of land to extend the sidewalk, there wouldn't be any demand to support a streetcars line nor public transit at all.

You can't be serious? We missed that boat (in about 1925). A complete rebuild of curves and radii would be a MASSIVE job that would certainly involve demolishing many buildings. For better or worse we are stuck with our current 'track geometry' and (apart from adding a few extra turns and maybe a few more sections of track to provide better diversion routes) I think we should not waste any time thinking about this any further. If THAT is your plan I think you are really going to simply remove all streetcars.

There's more than one way to deal with a tight right hand curve - Oslo, Norway

- Paul
Oslo tight turn.jpg

Attachments

• Oslo tight turn.jpg
    Oslo tight turn.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 662
I can't recall when, but increasing the radius at intersections was raised and TTC staff said no to most intersections. It may have been before the tender went out. Various sidewalks at corners would disappear, but no buildings if radius were increase. Have said that, there are intersections and other locations where TTC could easy increase the radius at no lost to anyone when reconstruction took place.

Regardless of the current radius, it doesn't prevent any supplier bidding on an TTC order today.

If the issue of getting new cars rose in the late 90's, TTC could have the chance to go to standard gauge as it started it rebuilding of the network track system, compare been asked 5 years after the work started.

It is literally impossible to expand the turning radius of the tracks, there is not enough room in the intersections. This wasn't even the main issue, Siemens placed a compliant bid and Skoda has a 100% low floor car with steerable trucks that can handle a 15m radius off the shelf.
And Bombardier underbid Siemens by 50 percent. Retendering with no local content requirements is great if you think the city can convince the province and the feds to put money towards foreign made cars.

Back